Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-24-2016, 11:53 PM   #1

My Pentax k50 does not communicate with my pc after installing windows 10.

What do I do now? My memorycard is full and I need the space for new photos.

10-25-2016, 12:14 AM   #2

Get a USB card reader.

USB 3.0 readers cost about $15. They are faster and a more reliable way to download your pix.

If it's a general issue with USB ports not operating. Try this trouble-shooter first.

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/fix-issue-after-upgrade-system-to-windo...rts-dont-work/

Last edited by johnhilvert; 10-25-2016 at 12:32 AM. Reason: addendum
10-25-2016, 12:34 AM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrsP Quote
My Pentax k50 does not communicate with my pc after installing windows 10.
Hi MrsP. Windows 10 is a little different and takes a couple of steps to do what was automatic on 7 & 8. Either plug your camera in with the USB cable, or take the card out and put it in the SD card slot. Open the little windows icon on the bottom left of the screen. Scroll through to " Photo gallery " and open that. The top left of the page has " Import. " Hit that with the camera on or SD card in. Hope this helps. Post again if you need more assistance. Good luck.
10-26-2016, 01:56 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for your assistance, Aussies :)

My pc is an old one - an acer and do not have the sd-slot by the looks of things. Had my brother who is a comp.wizz have a look at what you wrote via teamviewer. Hes more used to the English explanations than I am and it seems that I may have a malfunctioned cable - cause my camera reacts to being connected to my pc but the pc does not react every time the camera is connected to it and if it does, it does not reqconize my camera

But thanks so much for giving me some instructions to what could have been the problem. I appreciate the time you took for me

MrsP.

10-26-2016, 03:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I am using Windows 10 and for what it's worth my K-50 is recognized. I just plug in the camera to the USB port and then a little notification pops up on the lower right with a list of actions. You can choose to open the SD card in Explorer to browse its contents. Alternatively, you can just open Explorer and browse to the SD card (it should show up as a drive on the left side menu).

The cable does sound like a likely culprit.
10-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #6
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
You are most welcome MrsP. Any future help you may need, just ask and it will be happily given assistance by some member here. Good luck.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 10-26-2016 at 08:55 PM.
10-31-2016, 06:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lightbox Quote
I am using Windows 10 and for what it's worth my K-50 is recognized. I just plug in the camera to the USB port and then a little notification pops up on the lower right with a list of actions. You can choose to open the SD card in Explorer to browse its contents. Alternatively, you can just open Explorer and browse to the SD card (it should show up as a drive on the left side menu).

The cable does sound like a likely culprit.
I agree that the cable is the likely culprit. For some reason, the variability in the micro USB cables is more a problem than with other cables.

I have the same problem with the K1, which I did not have before, so Win10 may be asking more of the cable. Moving the cable a little in the K1 connector and having the computer add multiple instances of windows explorer was the giveaway that the cable was the issue.