Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Recommended camera flash for K-S2 ?

I shoot alot of macro and some landscape and portrait. I Bought a cheap ring flash for my macro but its just not bright enough and gets in the when mounted on the front of the lens. So im looking at a more standard flash but am unsure what to buy seeing as there are so many different ones to choose from and price points.

10-27-2016, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

You could try doing something like this with your K-S2's built in flash:

DIY macro flash diffuser for pop up on-board flash ? Macro Photography ? Pentax Photography - PENTAXslr Forums

It's cheap(!) and lower profile (sometimes macro my shooting means getting into tight spaces.
10-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let me recommend the 360FGZII and either Cactus or PocketWizard triggers. I use both with this flash off-camera and it's really bright for its size/weight. The flash is weathersealed, has plenty of features, and doesn't seem to suffer from the defective battery door that its older brethren did.
10-27-2016, 02:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
You could try doing something like this with your K-S2's built in flash:

DIY macro flash diffuser for pop up on-board flash ? Macro Photography ? Pentax Photography - PENTAXslr Forums

It's cheap(!) and lower profile (sometimes macro my shooting means getting into tight spaces.
That flash box looks pretty freat actually im gonna make one tonight !

---------- Post added 10-27-16 at 02:43 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Let me recommend the 360FGZII and either Cactus or PocketWizard triggers. I use both with this flash off-camera and it's really bright for its size/weight. The flash is weathersealed, has plenty of features, and doesn't seem to suffer from the defective battery door that its older brethren did.
Thanks for the input but that flash is a little out of my price range.

10-27-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by inzova Quote
Thanks for the input but that flash is a little out of my price range.
I, too would have recommended the Pentax 360FGZII, but for nearly half the price I would go with the Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-2. Pentax P-TTL compatible, tilts, swivels, AF assist, zoom head, and Metz brand quality and reputation.

Metz mecablitz 44 AF-2 Digital Flash for Pentax MZ 44327PEN B&H
10-27-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
for nearly half the price I would go with the Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-2
Or if that is too much, a Metz Mecablitz 24 or 26. Cheap as chips, lightweight, compact, go-anywhere, very simple PTTL. For macro or fill flash, or smallish rooms, power is sufficient, even bounced. Use a bounce card or cheap fold-up diffuser. Won't do wireless but get a generic cord if you want to use off the camera. So light that I have sometimes held the camera with one hand and the flash with the other.

A little flash like this is less intimidating than say my Metz 58. The simplicity of PTTL-only lets you concentrate on composition, aperture, etc.

Last edited by Des; 10-27-2016 at 08:50 PM.
10-27-2016, 06:58 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are using modern lenses - anything with electrical contacts - a P-TTL flash is useful. If you start using extension tubes, reversing rings or bellows, the P-TTL feature doesn't work without contacts. So it is less useful than a manual flash that you can adjust power settings yourself. Something inexpensive is nice if you start modifying it into a macro-specific use.

10-27-2016, 07:48 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Anything offering both P-TTL and HSS is a good start. :-)
10-27-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
the defective battery door that its older brethren did.
Excuse my minor hijack of the thread... Is this 'defective battery door' a common fault among flashes I wonder? I have only recently been experimenting with my first TTL flash, an AF200T that was a bonus item in another purchase. It doesn't rotate so I've only been using it hand-held with a Vello cord where the flash will sometimes fail (which is always annoying) and the only way I can resurrect it is to open the battery door and let the batteries loose then close it back up... I've been trying to get in the habit of always checking for the battery light before shooting, but it's a lot to look after...
10-27-2016, 09:04 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Excuse my minor hijack of the thread... Is this 'defective battery door' a common fault among flashes I wonder? ...
Pretty annoying habit. I only have to look in my AF360's direction and it pops open.
10-27-2016, 09:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
Is this 'defective battery door' a common fault among flashes I wonder?
Yes it is common and I think it is made worse when batteries are left in the flash over an extended period of time and begin to warp/bloat and deform the plastic doors just enough to affect the door. Iʻve had these issues with Canikon Speedlites and old Vivitars. Not had a problem yet with Pentax, Sunpak, or Metz units.