Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #1

k-x autofocus issue (not exactly the same problem as elsewhere on the forum!)

Hey everyone!

The problem I have is that while in AF mode (this is not a MF/AF switch problem) I have frequent trouble with auto focusing. When it fails the lens does move and brings the object into focus however I don't get the "beep" indicating that focusing has been successful and it therefore doesn't allow me to take the shot. I have the same issue using the Tamron (x-x) lens I use or if i switch back to the stock lens. To be fair I haven't done any rigours testing to see if there is some back or front focusing issue.

This only happens under certain conditions that I haven't really been able to define well. As an example, if i want to focus on an object and the AF is failing if i step back and zoom in to create a similar shot the AF may then work. Or if i'm taking a sort-of panoramic shot with something in the foreground AF may fail focusing on the foreground but succeed on the background.

I have tried playing around with the different focus modes but it does not seems to make any difference

I have had a shop undertake some repair work on it but it did not help so I think they just took me for a ride by replacing some parts without really diagnosing what the problem was. However they did clean everything in the course of the repair so i don't expect it is some issue like that.

I wondering if there is a calibration issue or something that i might be able to resolve from the internets!

tldr
- Camera in AF mode moves toward focus but does not "beep" to allow me to take the shot
- Only occurs when taking certain shots/focusing on certain objects in a shot
- Not an issue with the AF/MF switch
- Lens independent
- Camera shop have given it the once over and failed to fix.

Any help very much appreciated!