Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
which is the faster flash?

Pentax AF-360FGZ II Or Metz mecablitz 44 AF-2 Which one is faster or should i say better for continuous shooting? I Know the recycle time on any flash depends on how much power your using so 1/1 is going to take longer to recharge than 1/64 power So I'm wondering if for what im doing "macro photography" if getting the more expensive pentax flash would be worth it?

11-04-2016, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by inzova Quote
Pentax AF-360FGZ II Or Metz mecablitz 44 AF-2 Which one is faster or should i say better for continuous shooting? I Know the recycle time on any flash depends on how much power your using so 1/1 is going to take longer to recharge than 1/64 power So I'm wondering if for what im doing "macro photography" if getting the more expensive pentax flash would be worth it?
If you are fine with a manual flash a Godox Ving 850 will have the fastest recycle times. Lithium ion battery power is great.

Howie Be
11-04-2016, 02:39 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote
If you are fine with a manual flash a Godox Ving 850 will have the fastest recycle times. Lithium ion battery power is great.

Howie Be
This looks like a really nice flash actually i might just get this one thanks.
11-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax AF-360FGZ II recycle times is 1.5-2.5 seconds. The Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-2 recycle times is .1-4 seconds.

The Metz has a much higher guide number, so overall Iʻd expect faster recycling when using macro or less than 1/1 discharges.

Also note that using Ni-mH rechargeable batteries have higher amperage than disposable alkaline or lithium and therefore recycle faster. You may want to compare these recycle times to other flash units if youʻre expanding your search.

11-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
The Pentax AF-360FGZ II recycle times is 1.5-2.5 seconds. The Metz Mecablitz 44 AF-2 recycle times is .1-4 seconds.

The Metz has a much higher guide number, so overall Iʻd expect faster recycling when using macro or less than 1/1 discharges.

Also note that using Ni-mH rechargeable batteries have higher amperage than disposable alkaline or lithium and therefore recycle faster. You may want to compare these recycle times to other flash units if youʻre expanding your search.
I was trying to look at recycle times on all the flashes but they arent listed in the description on some of them . ill have to look more into it and i didn't know about the ni-mh battery thing thanks.
11-04-2016, 08:49 PM   #6
Brooke Meyer

YN 560IIIs cycle pretty fast. You can buy two plus a Remote Zoom/Power Control - Trigger and have over $200 left. That will buy two sets of Powerex AA's and a Smart 8 Cell Maha Charger and still have over $100 left. They cycle faster than my old Pentax 540's.
11-04-2016, 11:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by howieb101 Quote

Howie Be
Do you know what off camera shoe cord I could buy for the ving 850? That would work with my K-S2?

11-05-2016, 04:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you know what off camera shoe cord I could buy for the ving 850? That would work with my K-S2?
This $16 camera shoe cord should work with any shoe mounted flash and is also Pentax P-TTL compatible:

Vello Off-Camera TTL Flash Cord for Pentax Cameras (3') OCS-P3

Remember, if you go with the Godox, it is a manual flash. For macro work, where the flash discharge is relatively small due to the close distance to the subject, your recycle times on the Metz I recommended previously is going to be very fast....as short as 1/10th of a second.

It will also give you advanced features of P-TTL for your other potential flash needs and has a cool LED light if you wanted to shoot video with your macro.
11-05-2016, 07:01 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, if you get the wireless trigger you can forego the cord totally.