Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2016, 01:59 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Insure it properly?, I don't have one but I can see the risk.
It was an impulse buy so it isn't really possible now, but I'd recommend this for future buyers:

When buying a new body, consider lenses and battery grips. B&H and Adorama sell you the battery grip for 50% of the regular price. The lenses are also heavily discounted. If I had bought the lens at the same time, I would've gotten a $150 discount on the lens AND the 5-year Accidental Damage Mack warranty I bought would have covered it. Alas... it's not on the same receipt, I've registered the warranty, and B&H says they won't give me the lens discount unless I return the whole order, which might mean losing my special price on the K-1.

11-08-2016, 02:22 PM   #17
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If I'm carrying my camera with an Op-Tech Pro strap (which is what I use 95% of the time), I've got into the habit of pointing the lens down somewhat and partially supporting it with my left hand as I walk. In addition to reducing strain on the mount (and my neck!), this reduces the possibility of the lens bumping into anything and also avoids any "pendulum effect".
I use an Optech sling with a Sigma 150-500. I have fitted two snap connectors (one each male and female) to the lens for extra security. I have also had a local seamstress make a custom webbing strap to replace the (too short) original. The L shaped lens foot now falls to hand when walking. As you mentioned, reducing the swinging and bumping is a key comfort factor on long walks.
11-08-2016, 05:09 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Thanks. Do you have any tips for carrying? I use Peak Design straps, so I assume I can just throw one of their anchor loops onto the tripod foot and carry it.
I use a Peak Design strap. When I am hand-holding my DFA 70-200 I remove the tripod foot. The k1,70-200 combo hangs nicely by my side, lens down and is no problem.
11-08-2016, 05:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

One hand supporting lens barrel, one hand holding camera body, and camera strap around neck is what I do most of the time when carrying my Pentax K-3II/Sigma 150-500 setup. The lens barrel foot is positioned on the same side of the barrel as the left side of the camera. I have a dedicated camera pack (LowePro 400 AW) for carrying during travel, but usually hand carry it otherwise.

11-08-2016, 05:34 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 77me Quote
I use a Peak Design strap. When I am hand-holding my DFA 70-200 I remove the tripod foot. The k1,70-200 combo hangs nicely by my side, lens down and is no problem.
That's reassuring. How do you like the 70-200? Is it as heavy as it sounds?
11-08-2016, 07:20 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

I may have bought a D FA* 70-200.

So, anything I should know about heavy lenses? I've never had a lenses heavier than the DA* 50-135, and certainly nothing which required a tripod mount. Should I expect my lens mount to fall off if I attach it to my K-30 or PZ-1P?
Support the rig by the lens, not the camera at all times.
11-09-2016, 03:34 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Support the rig by the lens, not the camera at all times.
I agree, cameras with long lenses dangling from camera straps is still putting a lot of weight upon the lens mount.

11-09-2016, 04:11 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have spent many long days with a DSLR and a 70-200/2.8 (originally a Sigma, now the DFA*) slung over my shoulder, when shooting music festivals and even when trail running.

I have not been in the habit of attaching my BlackRapid sling to the tripod foot, opting for the body's tripod mounting thread instead. When I am moving I always have a hand on the lens to take a good deal of the weight though. I probably should amend my practice.
11-09-2016, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For hand-held, maybe something like this would be good. This one only is rated at 2.5lbs, but maybe there's a pistol grip out there which is heavier. This one has a trigger, though, which could be handy.
Vello CB-800 Universal Pistol Grip with Shutter Release CB-800
11-09-2016, 10:16 AM - 1 Like   #25

Photos: Albums
That's reassuring. How do you like the 70-200? Is it as heavy as it sounds?
So far I like it very much. It is heavy but I find it manageable. Sometimes when I take it out of the bag, I wish for the size and weight of my k-3, 50-135 combo, but once I start shooting I find the swapped location of the zoom and focus rings a bigger distraction than the weight. I do wonder why it is ~300g heavier than other similar lenses. Once the newness of the k1, 70-200 wears off I can't say that I won't opt for the k3, 50-135 for some occasions.
11-09-2016, 11:33 AM   #26
Pentaxian

A long neck strap which allows you to harbor the camera/lens a little bit above the waist is handy for safety purpose. I make my own with black nylon strap that is the same width as the Pentax strap and use the plastic guides/locks that come with the Pentax strap to secure it.