Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 107 Likes Search this Thread
11-14-2016, 10:01 AM - 2 Likes   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote

A consequence of:

The Teen Brain: It's Just Not Grown Up Yet : NPR

Unless you're still that impulsive, Ccc, in which case you no longer have an excuse.
addiction counsellors were toying with concept of teen brain a couple of decades ago.
it was the only way to account for the "adult" behavior of their clients after the addiction was "controlled".

there was even a theory that sociopaths attenuated their behaviors as they aged.

one my pet theories is that the truly ambidextrous or the functionally ambidextrous are capable of parallel track decision processes.
in people who are now termed creatives it can present some fascinating outcomes.
as if the two hemispheres of their brain had competing ideas ricocheting about until they could escape out the exit at the end of the hall.

but as for me...I consider myself to be thoughtfully reckless not impulsive.

I never needed an excuse...just a reason.

11-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #182
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by camerateen Quote
Lastly, I hope you guys won't have any hard-feeling as it's thanks to your input and advise that has really helped me make my choice. I hope you are still okay with giving me tips & helping me take some of my first few pics & videos????
Enjoy your new camera and stick around as I am sure there are lots of people who would like to see how you develop (pun intended) as a photographer!

You can still participate here and post photos in this thread (Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. - PentaxForums.com) which is specifically for non-Pentax cameras. Many of us here have other cameras too, especially for the times when we don't want to carry a DSLR around (I have a tiny Nikon with a 30x zoom that I can slip into my shirt pocket).
11-14-2016, 11:28 AM   #183
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ccc_ Quote

I never needed an excuse...just a reason.
:-)

11-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Enjoy your new camera and stick around as I am sure there are lots of people who would like to see how you develop (pun intended) as a photographer!
If he was shooting film, it would be good to see how he develops, but with digital, we will have to see how he processes instead.

11-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #185
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I've only bought the body and a Helios 44, so will need other lens, so any recommendations would be much appreciated. I'm now looking for a lens that are ideal for:-

1. Landscape or scenary photos
2. Zooming into distant viewing
3. Taking large group photos
11-14-2016, 03:31 PM   #186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks guys. I've only bought the body and a Helios 44, so will need other lens, so any recommendations would be much appreciated. I'm now looking for a lens that are ideal for:-

1. Landscape or scenary photos
2. Zooming into distant viewing
3. Taking large group photos
This gets complicated. You're using a mirrorless camera, so you can adapt lenses from lots of other systems. On the other hand, Fuji glass is likely to be outside of your budget. How much do we have left to work with? You can probably use the same lens for 1 and 3, but you'll want a different lens for 2.
11-14-2016, 03:35 PM   #187
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not much left to be honest...for manual lens it's around £30-£50 and for a specific fuji lens it's around £100 mark.

11-14-2016, 03:58 PM   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not much left to be honest...for manual lens it's around £30-£50 and for a specific fuji lens it's around £100 mark.
I don't much experience with the Fuji system, but perhaps a kit lens like this? It's wide-enough for family portraits; gives you some variety as a zoom; it should also work just fine for landscapes. You might be able to find it, or an older version for cheaper.
11-14-2016, 04:23 PM   #189
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
ou're using a mirrorless camera, so you can adapt lenses from lots of other systems.
But you won't get autofocus with lenses from any other system AFAIK.

If you want autofocus, you'll need a Fuji X-mount lens - see list here: Fujifilm X-mount - Wikipedia

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I don't much experience with the Fuji system, but perhaps a kit lens like this?
£160 for a kit lens? Ouch. It's an expensive system. Better get a job at Tescos and start saving.

---------- Post added 11-15-16 at 10:28 AM ----------

I've now gone ahead and bought a Fuji X-M1 camera
Didn't it come with a lens? Just use that one for a while.

Last edited by Des; 11-17-2016 at 03:41 PM.
11-14-2016, 04:31 PM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
But you won't get autofocus with lenses from any other system AFAIK.

If you want autofocus, you'll need a Fuji X-mount lens - see list here: Fujifilm X-mount - Wikipedia

Upwards of 120 pounts for a kit lens? Ouch. It's an expensive system. Better get a job at Tescos and start saving.

---------- Post added 11-15-16 at 10:28 AM ----------

Didn't it come with a lens? Just use that one for a while.
Yep. Fuji is an expensive system. Our intrepid photographer bought a Helios-44 (58mm * 1.5x crop factor = 87mm). That'll be great for portraiture, not so much for group shots...
11-14-2016, 05:25 PM   #191
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

To be honest, £120+ (Edit: it went for £160 in the end) for a slow kit zoom lens is a total waste of money for someone on a very tight budget. (You could get a decent SLR with a kit lens included for that money.) Better to get a good manual focus zoom, or a couple more manual primes. Could be any mount. Settle on one lens mount and just get one adapter for Fuji.

Last edited by Des; 11-17-2016 at 03:42 PM.
11-14-2016, 05:34 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
To be honest, £120+ for a slow kit zoom lens is a total waste of money for someone on a very tight budget. (You could get a decent SLR with a kit lens included for that money.) Better to get a good manual focus zoom, or a couple more manual primes. Could be any mount. Settle on one lens mount and just get one adapter for Fuji.
Okay. Do you have any specific lens recommendations for camerateen?
11-14-2016, 05:59 PM   #193
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm thinking M42 mount as the OP will presumably have an adapter already for the Helios.

For a zoom I was thinking of something like these:
Cosina 28-105mm f2.8-3.8 MC Macro Lens Reviews - Cosina Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
http://allphotolenses.com/lenses/item/c_2427.html

For primes maybe something like these to complement the Helios and zoom:
Vivitar (Komine 28xxxxx) 28mm f/2.8 Close Focus Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
S-M-C/Super/Auto Takumar 35mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Wide-Angle Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database -
Takumar 200mm F3.5 Reviews - M42 Screwmount Telephoto Primes - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M42_lens_mount
http://forum.mflenses.com/any-good-m42-zoom-t21096.html

This lens is K-mount and would therefore reqjuire another adapter, but is regarded as a "stack of primes": https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-A-35-105mm-F3.5-Zoom-Lens.html

But I'm sure there are plenty of alternatives in M42 and various other mounts. I'm only going on reviews. There are many users here with a wealth of practical experience of adapted lenses.

Last edited by Des; 11-14-2016 at 06:23 PM.
11-14-2016, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #194
Veteran Member

I have a Super Multi Coated Takumar 135mm if you're into your portraits. It's a slower lens (f/3.5) but the picture quality is beautiful. In terms of wide angle I also have a 28mm Helios. As I mentioned earlier I'd also offer you an FA 70-200 telephoto. Just drop by sometime and have a look at them. They'll be manual focus on your camera but in terms of quality, they're right up there. There's nothing that would give you a real wide angle (18mm) other than some cheap kit lenses from any manufacturer (the Pentax 18-55 can be found at around £25 if you look carefully) so that would be your best bet.
11-14-2016, 06:24 PM   #195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HarisF1 Quote
I have a Super Multi Coated Takumar 135mm if you're into your portraits. It's a slower lens (f/3.5) but the picture quality is beautiful. In terms of wide angle I also have a 28mm Helios. As I mentioned earlier I'd also offer you an FA 70-200 telephoto. Just drop by sometime and have a look at them. They'll be manual focus on your camera but in terms of quality, they're right up there. There's nothing that would give you a real wide angle (18mm) other than some cheap kit lenses from any manufacturer (the Pentax 18-55 can be found at around £25 if you look carefully) so that would be your best bet.
Camerateen already has a fairly long lens and said he was looking for something for group portraits and landscapes, so I'd continue to advise something on the wider end.