Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
Guys just to clear something up.......

....... some of you mentioned that the pentax has issues with shooting videos, but what the problems with it? I've checked Youtube video recordings from the pentax and they seem fine to me. As long as a camera can shoot better than a Panasonic FZ-38 Bridge Camera, then I should be happy with that.

11-10-2016, 04:13 PM   #32
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
the m4/3 mount is adaptable to pretty much any vintage lens out there, including penta k and m42.
...bear in mind that if you do get a micro 4/3 camera with the intention of using old manual lenses, the magnification will be X2 so a 50mm lens will give the equivalent image of a 100mm lens.
11-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Good point. The K5 spec for video is

Video/Movie Mode
1920x1080 (16:9 Full HD) at 25 fps,
1280x720 (16:9) at 30 or 25 fps,
640x480 (4:3) at 30 or 25 fps,
Motion JPEG (AVI)

One point to note, I think the K5 lacks focus peaking for manual lenses?, can someone confirm?

Is that enough for the OP?
Given the budget can it be bettered?.
Hackable firmware point away from Pentax of course, but to what end?

---------- Post added 10-11-16 at 02:45 PM ----------

A point to note for manual lenses, I think the K5 lacks focus peaking, can someone confirm?
This is true, it lacks focus peaking. Luckily for my little bro, he rejected my offer of a K-5 and a week later I snapped up a sweet K-S1 with a kit lens for 100. It has everything he'll need including focus peaking. The only thing it lacks is a high end sensor like the K5 has (and the professional build quality).
11-10-2016, 04:25 PM   #34
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by camerateen Quote
The main features I'm looking for are: As good quality photos as possible Can do good Bokeh/Shallow Depth of Field - Especially portraits with blurry backgrounds Can do 1080p movies at least at 30fps
The third point rules out the K-5, K-5ii and K-5iis (because they could only do 1920x1080 video at 25fps) as well as all other pre-2012 models.

So unless you compromise on that criterion, the choice amongst Pentax DSLRs within that budget is limited to the K-30, K-50, K-500, K01 and possibly a K-S1 if you are lucky. Anything more recent will be outside the budget (especially reserving some of it for lenses and essential accessories).

Honestly, any of those bodies would be fine for your needs. The 16mp sensor in the K-30, K-50, K-500 and K01 is excellent, with a good dynamic range and plenty of resolution. Each of those models carries a risk of aperture block failure, but given the modest budget it's a risk worth taking IMO. Each can use any of the 40 years+ worth of K-mount lenses. Each has an abundance of features, and offers great value.

Given the priority on image quality and relative speed, look for good quality manual focus lenses. The Pentax-A 50mm f1.7 mentioned above is a good example.

EDIT: I wrote the above before seeing the follow-up post. Here's my addition in response.
After checking out what you guys have suggested, I might have a couple of things I'd like to add/change:-

DEFINATELY REQUIRED:-
  • Decent 720p or 1080p video quality is necessary.
  • It MUST have a built-in flash

NOT NECESSARY, BUT WOULD BE A BONUS:-

The camera to be a little smaller/less bulky
A bit newer model than 2008, unless the old model is still superior

NOT THAT IMPORTANT:-
  • Hackable firmware is not a must if the camera software has decent features in the first place.
  • It doesn't have to be pentax if it's cheaper and can do just as good a job

Thank you very much once again and guys please keep coming up with your recommendations!
Any of the models I have mentioned would meet these criteria.

As others have mentioned, the focus peaking feature on each of these models is an advantage.

But if your real priority is video rather than best quality/value still images, look elsewhere.

Last edited by Des; 11-10-2016 at 04:34 PM.
11-10-2016, 04:31 PM   #35
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yeah I did say 30fps, but after seeing some of the videos, I'm happy with 24 or 25fps as majority of the time I'll be using it to take photos of family & friends, so you can safely ignore that.

---------- Post added 11-10-16 at 04:34 PM ----------

I'm willing to sacrifice some of the video quality, so long as the camera can produce vivid/high quality photos.

---------- Post added 11-10-16 at 04:39 PM ----------

One thing I'm disappointed about is that the Pentax lens seem to be a lot more expensive than other brands. Could I get cheap lens?
11-10-2016, 04:42 PM   #36
Forum Member

Original Poster
LOL! .....I'm not your a hip-teen

---------- Post added 11-10-16 at 04:43 PM ----------

Sorry, typo....I meant, I'm not your typical hip-teen.
11-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #37
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yeah I did say 30fps, but after seeing some of the videos, I'm happy with 24 or 25fps as majority of the time I'll be using it to take photos of family & friends, so you can safely ignore that. ---------- Post added 11-10-16 at 04:34 PM ---------- I'm willing to sacrifice some of the video quality, so long as the camera can produce vivid/high quality photos.
Well that puts the K-5 back in play, in addition to the other 16mp models. The K-5 has a more robust build than the other 16mp models, and some extra features. I don't think it has the same propensity to aperture block failure either. But it doesn't have focus-peaking.

Let's keep it simple. Look for a K-30 or K-50 in very good condition, maybe with a kit lens. Try to ensure that the aperture control is working properly before you buy. Then, as someone suggested above, see what other lenses you can afford within budget. Plenty of great tips above about that.
11-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Thank you Mattb123. I hope you can forgive me, although the pictures the 645 takes are great, I can't be seen carry that. I'm sorry to sound horrible, but it looks like something that my grandad would carry. My girlfriend would leave me if she saw me with that
Ha ha, well I wasn't entirely serious. But this does illustrate the point that pretty much all photography is a compromise of some sort.
I compromise any chance of being cool and schlep the gear that would give me the best results for my intended shot if I can. Not that I lose all that much coolness to begin with.

If looking cool is one of the things you need I'm not sure what can be done. I think a lot of us are pretty comfortable looking like dorks to get the images we want. I know I am anyway!

11-10-2016, 04:51 PM   #39
Forum Member

Original Poster
After the recommendations so far, I seem to be liking the K-5, K-30 and Canon 7D, although some other choices not mentioned on here are the Samsung NX1000 & NX300. I'm getting warmer, but just still some confusion. If I chose any of these, which one has the cheapest choice of lens?

---------- Post added 11-10-16 at 04:53 PM ----------

Also which ones have built-in lens?

BTW I'm not saying that I won't accept an older design camera....just not the one you've shown me.
11-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #40
Pentaxian

After the recommendations so far, I seem to be liking the K-5, K-30 and Canon 7D, although some other choices not mentioned on here are the Samsung NX1000 & NX300. I'm getting warmer, but just still some confusion. If I chose any of these, which one has the cheapest choice of lens?

---------- Post added 11-10-16 at 04:53 PM ----------

Also which ones have built-in lens?

BTW I'm not saying that I won't accept an older design camera....just not the one you've shown me.
None of those have a built-in lens.
11-10-2016, 04:59 PM - 1 Like   #41

Ok... to clear a few things up. These are all interchangable lens camera's. None of them have a "built in lens". The choice of lens is just as important as the choice of body, some would say more so. Great body and crap lens will give worse results than lower end body and great lens.
11-10-2016, 05:02 PM   #42
Forum Member

Original Poster
See? I told you I keep typing wrong, lol! I think it's late and I'm tired, lol. What I was trying to say is which one of the shortlisted ones has a BUILT-IN FLASH?
11-10-2016, 05:07 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I recently sold an nx300 that would have been in your budget. The 20mp apsc sensor is good and the 20-50mm kit lens was sharp enough. Adapted lenses worked well on it also.

That or the Pentax models you are focus on would be fine. The Samsung has wireless built in if that matters. Their lenses are fewer than Pentax but they can adapt more brands and so there is a compromise.

Please note Samsung is rumored to be mothballing their interchangeable lens cameras and lenses but there is no official statement from Samsung confirming this.
11-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #44
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank UncleVanya, but from the K-5, K-30, Canon 7D, NX1000 & NX300 which model/brand has the cheapest lens?
11-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Yeah I did say 30fps, but after seeing some of the videos, I'm happy with 24 or 25fps as majority of the time I'll be using it to take photos of family & friends, so you can safely ignore that.

---------- Post added 11-10-16 at 04:34 PM ----------

I'm willing to sacrifice some of the video quality, so long as the camera can produce vivid/high quality photos.

---------- Post added 11-10-16 at 04:39 PM ----------

One thing I'm disappointed about is that the Pentax lens seem to be a lot more expensive than other brands. Could I get cheap lens?
Ah, compromise. Welcome to the club.

How about a K-5 or a K-30? The K-5 has mechanical video stabilisation (the last Pentax to have it before they replaced it with awful digital video stabilisation) and the K-30 has focus peaking, which I always find helpful for video, as manual focusing is the way to go with cheap lenses.

They both have great sensors, let me grab some photos from my K-30...

Here's a Flickr album for you.

I do have to say, your choice of glass and your hands and your eye will take you a lot farther than whichever camera you choose. Maybe start with a geniune Pentax M42 to K adapter and a 50mm f1.4 Super Takumar? They can be had cheap, and in the future someone like dcshooter can declick it for you if you like, to make it more suitable for video. On the other hand, the modern DA 35 and DA 50 are both quite popular, there's also the FA 50.

My first lens (after my kit zoom) was the 40mm Limited. I created some of my favourite portraits with it, but it might be out of your price range?