Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax PC/MAC Software info

Though I've been a Pentax DSLR shooter for a decade, I've never used Pentax software on my computer. I've never had the need to.
But now being an owner of a K-1 and wanting the best output for my pixelshift shots, I'm told it's the way to go. The problem that I'm running into is that when I go to the official Pentax download site, there's a number of different software titles available with no descriptions as to what they do.
Is there a place on the forum with such information?

11-10-2016, 11:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The software can be found on the CD that came with your camera. Updates are available here:

Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Windows : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
Digital Camera Utility 5 Update for Macintosh : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

And we have an article on it here:

Engaging with Ricoh's Digital Camera Utility v5 - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-11-2016, 07:26 AM   #3

Adam has given the links for the latest Digital Camera Utility.

If you look under the Software category in the Digital Camera column you will find various cameras listed for each version. This is the latest update for the version that shipped on the CD with the camera. The latest version, at the time this writing DCU 5.6.2 is compatible with all earlier cameras. I use 5.6.2 with the RAW files from my K10D even though the version listed is the Pentax Photo Browser/Laboratory 3. There was one version (5.6.1 as I recall) that did not handle PEF files from the K7 or earlier bodies but Ricoh quickly pulled that version.

The downloaded update files may require an earlier version installed or the earlier CD mounted. There are ways around this but it appears that on Windows 8 and 10 it may complain there is no earlier version or CD but you can click through the prompts without clicking cancel it will go ahead and install anyways.
11-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #4
Forum Member

I've posted previously about the issues I have with the Pentax DCU, see

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/310692-p...-problems.html

It's a cut down version of Silkypix. I tried the trial version of Silkpix DS6 and had the same issues, at that stage it did not say compatible with windows 10, the new version DS7 does. But I still have problems with the pentax DCU - version 5.6.2.

I'm still using Fastone, but this does have it's issues - but not in the PC performance stakes.