Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
Forum Member

DA* 55mm F1.4 Calibration / Photographers in Melbourne

I am posting this thread, specifically for photographers in Melbourne Australia as i am looking to get help on an issue.

I have just calibrated a 55mm 1.4 lense as i was getting out of focus/soft pictures (using lenscal). I then went out to shoot again and produced the same results.

As my camera pentax k1 isd only a day old, i am thinking that this is either an issue with the lense, af problems, maybe the camera. While i am new to actually photography i do have a good understanding of how to shoot. I thought i would see if there is anyone here who might be able to catch up, as right now this is my only lense. You may be able to also calibrate it better than i have even though i thought i did ok. I'd be happy to pay $50-75 for your time.

Thanks

11-12-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I know someone who's had this lens for years and who took it to the Pentax service center on many occasions to get it adjusted. They made it better, but still not perfect. I think it's fair to say the lens can be hit-and-miss, plus at F1.4, the DoF is so shallow that even the slightest error in focusing (or movement after focus is locked) can mess things up.

When focus accuracy is critical, I'd recommend using live view.

Also, remember that this is technically not a full frame lens, so YMMV in the corners.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-12-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Adam,

I very rarely shoot at 1.4, though i have only heard good things about this lense, as well as being one of pentax's sharpest.
11-12-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yozza Quote
I very rarely shoot at 1.4, though i have only heard good things about this lense, as well as being one of pentax's sharpest.
Yes, but the camera is focusing wide open. Are you shooting in FF or APS-C format? If the former then perhaps the focusing is being affected by optics designed for APS-C??

11-12-2016, 07:05 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi wild mark

I am shooting in ff. Are you saying that i should be only shooting in crop on the k1 with this lense, which will then make a difference to the shots/focus issues? This combination from what i've read is supposd to be good

Thanks
11-12-2016, 07:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

All I am saying is give it a go. Sure, you are now shooting with a FoV more like 75mm, but that is the reality. I would be interested to know if this makes a difference.
11-12-2016, 07:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
All I am saying is give it a go. Sure, you are now shooting with a FoV more like 75mm, but that is the reality. I would be interested to know if this makes a difference.
Hi

I just gave it a go, same result

11-12-2016, 07:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

bummer.

Before you blame the camera, perhaps try focusing it manually in live view. Also, try another lens, perhaps a M50/1.4 or M50/1.7 or the like.

By the way, do you have SR turned on? If it is turned off then there is a chance your IQ is being degraded by camera shake.
11-12-2016, 07:56 PM   #9
mee
Veteran Member

Closer to 83mm ...hmm that seems like it would be a nice portrait length on crop...
11-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hey Yozza. I visit Melbourne often. The HQ of the Melbourne Photography Club is in South Melbourne, on the corner of Ferrars St and Dorcas St. It might be worth checking it out.

I have the DA*55 and K-1, and the combination works brilliantly for me. Some of my early shots from the combination can be seen HERE. Specifically, I find the AF to be very accurate and reliable, if not super quick.

What technique have you used to "calibrate" the AF? If all else fails, the service department for C.R. Kennedy (the Australian distributor for Pentax) is also in Melbourne. I have sent a few things off to them via their office in Adelaide and they have provided an excellent service.
11-12-2016, 11:48 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
bummer.

Before you blame the camera, perhaps try focusing it manually in live view. Also, try another lens, perhaps a M50/1.4 or M50/1.7 or the like.

By the way, do you have SR turned on? If it is turned off then there is a chance your IQ is being degraded by camera shake.
I never blamed the camera, it's the lense. yes i use camera shake

---------- Post added 11-12-16 at 11:53 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Hey Yozza. I visit Melbourne often. The HQ of the Melbourne Photography Club is in South Melbourne, on the corner of Ferrars St and Dorcas St. It might be worth checking it out.

I have the DA*55 and K-1, and the combination works brilliantly for me. Some of my early shots from the combination can be seen HERE. Specifically, I find the AF to be very accurate and reliable, if not super quick.

What technique have you used to "calibrate" the AF? If all else fails, the service department for C.R. Kennedy (the Australian distributor for Pentax) is also in Melbourne. I have sent a few things off to them via their office in Adelaide and they have provided an excellent service.
Hi Sandy,

Are you talking about classes at the Melbourne photography club, or something else? That's good to know about c.r kennedy i saw them today and they are around the corner. Have you sent in lenses before, and what is the turnaround time? Did you need to do any sort of calibration first. I may have got one a little bit off.

Thanks
11-13-2016, 12:49 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just thought there might be a bunch of people at the MPC with helpful knowledge and hands-on skills.

Off the top of my head, I have had a DA10-17, DA15, DA*16-50 and DA40 repaired through C.R. Kennedy for one reason or another, and I currently have my broken FA20 and not-quite-perfect DFA15-30 being assessed. Turnaround varies on the complexity of the job; one lens (the DA15) had to go to Japan. I have been very happy with the service.

But first, I would be interested in knowing exactly how you tried to micro-adjust the focus of your DA*55. I am yet to have an autofocus lens I could not get working well with the seven Pentax DSLR bodies I have used over the years.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 11-13-2016 at 12:55 AM.
11-13-2016, 01:22 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I just thought there might be a bunch of people at the MPC with helpful knowledge and hands-on skills.

Off the top of my head, I have had a DA10-17, DA15, DA*16-50 and DA40 repaired through C.R. Kennedy for one reason or another, and I currently have my broken FA20 and not-quite-perfect DFA15-30 being assessed. Turnaround varies on the complexity of the job; one lens (the DA15) had to go to Japan. I have been very happy with the service.

But first, I would be interested in knowing exactly how you tried to micro-adjust the focus of your DA*55. I am yet to have an autofocus lens I could not get working well with the seven Pentax DSLR bodies I have used over the years.
I used lenscal and i had to go up to +10 on af tune to be sharp on the zero, which is maximum. Done open at 1.4 and within 2 metres of the target.
The actual af is fine, however my shots are coming up soft and never sharp, and i can not put it down to anything else.
11-13-2016, 01:31 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
A few examples of what i am looking at
Attached Images

Last edited by yozza; 11-13-2016 at 01:36 AM.
11-13-2016, 01:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

At the size you've posted them, they don't look too bad. The third image is low in contrast, but that is probably due, at least in part, to the strong back/side lighting.

Without EXIF data, knowing which AF points you used and how, and bigger files with the ability to pixel peep, it's impossible to give a more detailed critique.