Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
11-12-2016, 08:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turn SR off while on a ferry?

I'm thinking of hopping a ride on the Bainbridge-Seattle ferry for the Supermoon sighting tomorrow night. I'll of course bring my tripod, but the ferry vibrations can be pretty intense. Any experiences with whether it's better to turn SR off or on? Should I bother with things like MLU and EFCS and use my IR remote when the boat will be that shaky, or does every little bit help?

11-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If the ferry is vibrating, how will a tripod help? Do they even allow it? I would look for a viewpoint on solid ground.
11-12-2016, 09:25 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If the ferry is vibrating, how will a tripod help? Do they even allow it? I would look for a viewpoint on solid ground.
I've never seen any prohibition against it, particularly if you're not in anyone's way. I thought a tripod might give me a little more stability, as I tend to be pretty shaky, and the D FA 70-200 + K-1 + Battery Grip is quite a workout!
11-12-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
Forum Member

Take the shots both ways and compare them. Then you'll know for sure.

11-13-2016, 12:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I read an article about 15 years ago written by a professional who was shooting arctic photos from a ship using Pentax 67 and 645 cameras. He found a tripod to be useless because engine vibration went right through the camera so he hand held all of his photos. My experience is the tripod almost seems to amplify the engine vibration ( the same with train pictures). I stand with knees bent to help absorb the motion. I'm not sure how any kind of longish exposure can work.
11-13-2016, 01:34 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Been there done that. Shooting from anything solid attached to the bulkhead is a no-go since vibration translates through the tripod. You may be able to get away with a beanbag on the gunwales if you need support. Just make sure you have a good strap on the camera. Best is to try to stabilize as much as possible using your arms against your body. But in rough water, you won't be doing much photography.
11-13-2016, 01:53 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Aye others have already said, use your body as a shock absorber, the tripod will not be of benefit to you under these conditions.

11-13-2016, 03:37 AM   #8
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd definitely go hand held - and with SR on. If the combo is tiresome to carry I'd look at a good harness - there are several alternatives, like things from Blackrapid, Cotton Carrier, Spider etc.
11-13-2016, 06:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would try it both with and without. Somewhere in the past I had read about using SR while on a tripod (successfully) when shooting from freeway bridges and other structures that had heavy vibrations. It's certainly worth a try - really nothing to loose.

11-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would strongly advise 1) NO tripod or monopod; 2) SR on. On any except the very largest boat under power you can feel the vibration through your feet. A tripod or monopod will only transmit this to the camera, whereas your body will dampen them out. Also, most smaller boats will rock and pitch to some degree, so it's easier to maintain your framing hand-held.
11-13-2016, 07:15 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even in your smooth-running BMW (or Chevy), you will get vibration if you set the camera directly on the vehicle with the engine running. You really cannot even lean against the ferry as the vibration will transmit through you.

Not only do you need to be hand-held, but you need to be standing completely free with your feet on the deck the only contact with the boat. Also keep a little flex in your knees. As Kerrowdown said above, "...use your body as a shock absorber..." To make things a bit easier, take off the battery grip.
11-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sometimes do this:
  • wear a belt around the hip (or a hip bag turned forward - my camera hip bag is ideal for this, a pacsafe camsafe V5, K-1 fits in!)
  • use a tripod short extended and set it onto your belt / hip bag so that you can look comfortably through the viewfinder
  • leaning against something when taking photographs stablilizes in addition
  • shake reduction on

Vibrations to some degree are blocked by your body and your compensating movement. Good luck!
11-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found that if the gear is heavy and support is required, a shock absorber with a monopod is the best way to go....
11-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I ride it back and forth 5-days a week, Agree with the consensus above, nothing rigid between deck and camera. You will see it in your images. Ship motion in Puget Sound is usually not an issue, it's the engine vibrations that come up through. I'd carry gear that you can comfortably hand-hold.
But I think Mother Nature will be spoiling your plan anyway, The forecasts i have seen don't look good for being able to see the moon anytime in the next 36 to 48-hours, maybe you can find a brighter spot behind our NW autumn murk.
I hope it works for you though.