Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-17-2016, 02:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax K-5 died and K-30 partially crashed after mounting DA 60-250 f4 (SN 9222618)

I tried to buy second hand Pentax DA 60-250 f4 (SN 9222618). The seller did inform me about his camera Pentax K-5 that died completely in a couple of seconds after he mounted the lens (aquired second hand too) and turned the camera on. He even did not make any picture.
I decided to mount the lens on my own risk on the Pentax K-30 and here is some experience what happened:
1. When I turned the K-30 on, camera asked me to input the focal lenght of the lens (strange behavior for DA zoom lens).
2. When I tried to focus with lens, it used screw drive instead of SDM (strange behavior too).
3. The camera did perform slow, after focus aquisition I made a shot and camera froze. I turned it off and on again. The camera still worked. I tried to make another shots and later the camera froze again – shutdown did not work, I was forced to remove tha battery.
4. Several pictures I made with 2 second delay led me to think that the lens is slightly decentered (manually focused small white object in the center of the frame had sludged edges on one side – 6-9 hours direction). So, I decided not to buy it even for repair.
At home I mounted another well working DA zoom lens 18-135 WR on the K-30 and I got the same behavior of the camera:
1. It asked me again to input the focal lenght of the lens.
2. DC motor does not work.
3. The camera gives only manual focus possibility (MF mark on the rear display). No AF.S, AF.C possibility.
4. Minimum F number is 4.0 instead of 3.5, and it changes automatically to F4.5
5. Shake reduction ON mark on the display is changing periodically to green hand mark.
6. Exposure metering is incorrect (hardly overexposed pictures)
7. Camera is responding very slowly and Menu access is not possible (just for second, no more).
8. When I push the shutter release button, camera makes 4 or 5 very very quick mirror movements but only one picture.
9. When I cover the first pin contact on the camera‘s bayonet (located near lens locking pin) (I suppose it is Lens Digital Information contact) with tape, problems No4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 dissapear.
10. K-30 still works perfectly with FA 31, DA-L 18-55 (screw drive focus) and manual focus lenses.
I tried Reset and firmware v1.06 reupdate. It does not help.
My DA 18-135 still work normally (autofocus with DC motor) on the unaffected Pentax K-5II.
I suspect that DA 60-250 f4 has some electronic problems ar maybe it was unsuccesfully modified to screw drive autofocus mode because of possible SDM failure. I notet no visual marks of dissasembly of the DA 60-250.
Does anybody has thoughts about the origin of this problem described above and possible actions to repair K-30?
Thank You

11-17-2016, 02:53 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To me it likewise sounds like a screwdrive conversion gone wrong, though the seemingly permanent damage to the camera may also suggest an electrical problem.

In any case I think the only option is to send both in to an authorized service center so they can inspect the lens and fix the software/hardware as needed.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-17-2016, 03:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
To me it likewise sounds like a screwdrive conversion gone wrong, though the seemingly permanent damage to the camera may also suggest an electrical problem.

In any case I think the only option is to send both in to an authorized service center so they can inspect the lens and fix the software/hardware as needed.
thank You Adam
11-17-2016, 03:52 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also check the sdm contacts. Sounds like they might be missing. The two square contacts on the bottom of the lens. Joe

11-17-2016, 04:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stargeezer Quote
Also check the sdm contacts. Sounds like they might be missing. The two square contacts on the bottom of the lens. Joe
Thank you Stargeezer. They are in the right place.
11-17-2016, 05:11 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My best guess would be that an internal short in the lens is causing batery voltage to be supplied to a ground, frying the circuitry in the camera. If you apply positive where negative should be (and vice versa), in unprotected circuits it is usually 'incompatibe with continued operation'. A data circuit will certainly involve transistors and a reverse voltage of 5-6V is usually sufficient to brick a standard unprotected transistor, battery voltage in most DSLRs easily exceeds that.

The mount design and lens specifications would probably be considered to be sufficient protection, by physically preventing potential reverse polarity, and so additional polarity protection to every circuit might be considered unnecessary, so if the lens circuitry has been physically messed up in some way that would spell trouble.
11-17-2016, 05:19 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
My best guess would be that an internal short in the lens is causing batery voltage to be supplied to a ground, frying the circuitry in the camera. If you apply positive where negative should be (and vice versa), in unprotected circuits it is usually 'incompatibe with continued operation'. A data circuit will certainly involve transistors and a reverse voltage of 5-6V is usually sufficient to brick a standard unprotected transistor, battery voltage in most DSLRs easily exceeds that.

The mount design and lens specifications would probably be considered to be sufficient protection, by physically preventing potential reverse polarity, and so additional polarity protection to every circuit might be considered unnecessary, so if the lens circuitry has been physically messed up in some way that would spell trouble.
Thank you for your thoughts.