Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #1

Pentax K-1 Anomaly (Row of Dead Pixels?)

Hi, I hope someone can assist! Regarding my questions, apologies if they seem "level novice."

Backstory: I recently purchased a used, "d rating," K-1 from Adorama. They assured me everything was fine with the camera and it showed little to no signs of wear and the rating itself was above E+.

However...I can't discern whether there's an inherent issue--setting wise--with the photos I'm taking, or if there's a much larger problem occurring...perhaps something wrong with the sensor. Given I'm still learning about this wonderful camera and about photography in general, my sincere apologies, again, for having to be a nuisance to the expert community, but I'm hoping someone here might spot the issue right away and point me in the right direction on the way to a solution.

Please find two sample photos I took:

Photo 1 is a JPEG, settings: 1/13; f/2.2; ISO 100; colorspace: sRGB; SMC Pentax-DA 1.8 50 mm lens.
Photo 2 is a RAW-DNG, settings: 1/13; f/2.2; ISO 100; colorspace: sRGB; SMC Pentax-DA 1.8 50 mm lens. (please note I tried to upload a dng but took a screenshot of this second file instead since...in the attachment key, DNG is not available).

In the upper left, on the y axis--around 1070px--there's this strange purple line that cuts across both photos, and then fades out around 5600 px on the x axis.

Now, I took a series of photos that looked fine from the liveview monitor and viewfinder, and at first I couldn't tell if anything was wrong with the picture until I opened up the photos on my iMac. At first, I thought it was an anomaly that Photoshop's Camera Raw feature was producing, but then I opened the picture in Silky Pix and Lightroom, and all of my photos had the same issue, on the very same y and x axis coordinates as noted above in the two sample photos.

I even tried changing the colorspace and also switching from PEF to DNG, and still, the issue persists. I also tried different lenses, thinking perhaps something was wrong with my 50 mm lens, but again, the issue persisted in all of the photos I took with my 15-30 2.8 wide angle.

At first, I didn't notice this strange artifact when shooting, and even when I previewed the photo directly on the camera, I didn't notice anything strange--until, I zoomed in with one of the dials far, far into the picture and then realized, it's being produced on the camera itself...so how could it be an effect brought about by one of the editing programs I'm using?

The camera hasn't been dropped or exposed to harsh weather conditions. I've treated this thing like a firstborn. I've tested on different SD cards from Sandisk to Lexar and PNY. And there, in the corner of each photo is this line.

Certainly, it could be corrected in Photoshop but I'm concerned that there's something wrong with my camera. I tried the dust removal setting--everything so far that I can think of...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely,
Anxiety-Ridden Novice (Rachel)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo   
11-18-2016, 03:31 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried the pixel mapping function? If that doesn't fix it, I'd return the camera as defective.
11-18-2016, 03:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
I haven't but will try that right now (to be honest I'm not sure what that is but will google it)! Will let you know if that works.

---------- Post added 11-18-16 at 03:48 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Have you tried the pixel mapping function? If that doesn't fix it, I'd return the camera as defective.
Update: So I went into the menu, found what you suggested! Thank you again for the tip. Unfortunately, still that line is there. I zoom up close on the camera screen, and it's just hanging out there on the far left.
11-18-2016, 03:51 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Was there any bright light behind the monkey? Sony 36MP chip can in certain cases produce strong horizontal thick line over the image but it requires very bright light against dark background which does not seem to be the case here.

Return that to the seller. Does not look very good.

11-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
Hi there! I took this photo in my office with top down fluorescent lighting in a 10ft high room. In all of my other photos, outdoors at noon or even at night with the ISO cranked up to 1600, f/2.8, 15 seconds (shooting the northern lights recently), this line turns up in all, regardless of lighting conditions. I'm guessing now based on yours and lithdreamer's comments...it might confirm my sensor fears. And the camera is in fact defective. :'(
11-18-2016, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, I'd definitely get this exchanged.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-18-2016, 04:23 PM   #7

Original Poster
Well, three of you are saying the same thing, so my K-1 will be sent back to Adorama...hopefully, they will take it back (it's been a couple of days over the 30 day return period). Sigh. Thank you to all for providing feedback.

11-18-2016, 04:28 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It is just possible it's a card error, but the sensor seems the most likely culprit.
11-18-2016, 04:38 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you, Paul. I was hoping for that but I tried an assortment of sd cards and used the function to copy the 1 to 2. And both cards render the same results. Tried Sandisk, PNY, Lexar. Woe is me!