Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2016, 09:57 AM   #1

Use of Optical View Finder on K70

Greetings,

I am the happy owner of a brand new K70, very impressed with the picture quality and multiple custom options in this camera. I am struggling, however, with proper use of the OVF, coming from the EVF from my previous camera (Fuji XT-10). Specifically, how to properly use AF-C and manual focus. I try to avoid using live view unless absolutely necessary (sun glare), and the lack of electronic overlays on the OVF doesn't help... With the EVF, once the focus was locked onto the subject, the tracking box would follow the subject as it moved, thus providing visual confirmation of the tracking mode. With the K70 OVF in AF-C mode, once the green hexagon locks onto the subject is continuous focus tracking taking place even though there's no other positive indication in the OVF?

Similar question on manual focus - I understand there's focus peaking in Live View, however other than trying to optically focus manually there appears to be no other aid for focusing manually through the OVF.

Apologies for what seem to be pretty basic questions for those familiar with the workings of an OVF, but this is all new to me!

11-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I shoot birds in flight using AF.C autofocus mode, "Spot" autofocus area mode, and "Spot" metering. The subject has to be maintained in the focus area by the user and the focus will be maintained while the shutter button is pressed halfway down during that period. The focus indicator will appear and you will hear a beep when the subject is in focus. Sometimes I let up on the shutter button and press back down while following a subject to do sort of a refresh of the focusing cycle. When the subject is not in focus, the focus indicator will not appear. Noting that you are tracking and focusing on your intended subject is something that you will be doing with your sight (desired detail you confirm) along with some aid from the focusing indicator.

Also, in the C menu of your camera, you may want to set the "Hold AF Status" to "Off".

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-20-2016 at 11:25 AM.
11-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mmbrombe Quote
Similar question on manual focus - I understand there's focus peaking in Live View, however other than trying to optically focus manually there appears to be no other aid for focusing manually through the OVF.
I believe the K-70 will do as the K-5/K-3 and light up the green hexagon when you get your subject in focus. This is not perfect when focusing at large apertures with very shallow depth of field, though. Then I'd use Live View and magnification/focus peaking.

But yes, manual focus is more difficult with an OVF, especially with modern focusing screens designed to be bright rather than being good for manual focusing. It gets easier with practice, though.

As for aids, I got my hands on a magnifying hoodloupe for the LCD. It definitely makes focusing in Live View a lot easier. The added size is a drawback, of course, as well as being hard to use with the flippy screen of the K-70. Not my image, but this one works well with my K-3.