Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2016, 08:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Holding down back button focus while taking shot?

After just learning about using back button focus and using this now as my primary focus over the shutter, i am trying to find out when i am shooting in afc mode, if need to be hold it down while i am taking the actual picture to, or is it a matter of just pressing it once and tracking the motion?

On a seperate - If anyone uses and of the sel modes, s,m,l, id be interested in which you decide to use

Thanks

11-20-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In AF.S, the AF will only operate once and stop once it confirms focus (or fails to lock focus). Holding down the button after that has no effect.

One thing you have to be careful about is moving the camera after focus is locked but before you take the shot. That's why half pressing and waiting isn't always a good idea outside lf AF.C.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-20-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thankyou Adam. Is it worth just staying in afc mode only and using the method of afs (push once then take shot versus holding it down) to take shots like portraits as well? (if i may move or they do to). I have heard some people do this.
11-21-2016, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A lot of people do exactly that. Leave it in AF.C, press back button and release for AF.S style (focus and recompose), keep it held for AF.C style.

12-17-2016, 08:59 AM   #5

Does this work for wildlife/sports. back button auto focus? Focus and then recompose? Or keep the button depressed and shoot at will?