Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 02:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OME-53 magnifier

I wear glasses but take them off when shooting. I have the diaopter set to max but would still like more clarity if possible. I am considering purchasing a Pentax magnifier for my K3. Has anyone used one and what are your views both positive or negative. I think they are worth about $26.00. There appear to be other brands available for Pentax mount.

Michael

11-21-2016, 02:49 AM   #2
Forum Member

I have one on my K-7 and it is great - crystal clear and does enhance the view area and helps with manual focus.

I also take my glasses off and although my diopter adjustment is not at the limit it is still very helpful.

I think it has been covered elsewhere but given the pronounced profile it helps avoiding getting imprints from your nose all over the lcd screen.

I think that the price is well worth the investment - although this is only IMHO

I can only say that my only negative is that my other cameras do not have one and I am always forgetting this and get frustrated by the small view area before I remember why

Cheers
11-21-2016, 04:04 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Like you, I take my glasses off to shoot. With that in mind, I find the O-ME53 works very well indeed - way more than you'd expect for such an inexpensive accessory. It's great for general use, and particularly helpful for manual focusing. However, it won't increase clarity - it simply magnifies what you already see. So, if the diopter adjustment isn't sufficient to make the viewfinder completely clear, the O-ME53 won't improve that...
11-21-2016, 05:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
See my review for O-ME53 - I have same problem. Tenpa 1.36x magnifier worked for me - adds another -1 diopter. Most of those chinese VF magnifiers have an inherent -1 diopter or diopter adjust.

Tenpa's however are not so readily available - at the mo anyway, not sure why.

11-21-2016, 07:16 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't wear glasses and love the Pentax diopter.
Wish every DSLR came with an extended viewfinder.

Michael
11-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #6
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Count me in as another very happy user of the Pentax magnifier on my K3!
11-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I use one on my K-S2 and am very satisfied. It really helps with manual focus, which I use 90+% of the time (vintage lenses).

11-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have one on my K-30 and love it. The only slight niggle I have is that I sometimes have to look down in the viewfinder to see the info bar to check settings and then look up again to compose. I wear varifocal spectacles when outside or trying to read small print, I don't need them at all around the house or at the computer and take them off when using the camera (I have the diopter adjusted for no glasses).
11-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
TENPA look good but three times the cost.

Michael
11-30-2016, 01:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've used one for years, until getting my K3 II when I realised that the magnifier tended to make seeing the edges of the frame difficult. Now it sits in it's box unloved.
11-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Alternatively, you could purchase an authentic Pentax Diopter Correction Lens Adapter M that fits over the viewfinder like the O-ME53. Unlike the latter, they don't magnify the fuzzy view. They provide the necessary correction for your prescription, i.e., myopia or hyperopia (they don't correct for astigmatism). I'm not sure if they're still in production, but there are some available on eBay in a variety of diopter corrections. I think they were originally available from -1 to -5, and from +1 to +5 (not strong enough for my correction).
01-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #12
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentasonic49 Quote
I've used one for years, until getting my K3 II when I realised that the magnifier tended to make seeing the edges of the frame difficult. Now it sits in it's box unloved.
I have one on my K-5 and have kept it there all the time - mainly because I put the original eyecup somewhere and haven't dug it out since. The magnifier is great for close focus / macro / manual focus. Where I also struggle is also with the edges - I find I miss distracting objects in the background at the edges and I keep thinking I should switch back to the regular eyecup when I'm in certain shooting situations and especially when I'm going to rely on the AF and so don't need the magnification.