Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 09:34 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-S2 is not immune.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/320993-dark-frames-k-s2.html

It is however quite a bit more unusual to hear about it. Could be due to numbers owned sold etc or age or design.

---------- Post added 11-21-16 at 11:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Please note: Getting into photography is more than buying a camera body and a lens. You'll probably also want a sturdy tripod, editing software, rocket blower, possibly filters, camera flash (aka 'speedlite'), a bag of some sort... etc etc.. So just please be aware that those might be headed your way in the future if you really 'catch the bug' when it comes to photography!
This bit above it is really important to pay attention to even though not a lot of people remember to say it to new photographers.

11-21-2016, 10:18 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I am going to recommend another body that might fit what you are looking for. Look in to the K7 also. It is the same body style as the K5, K3 cameras. I think it is a good camera. Some of the specs may not be as good as the K5, but if you can find one that has not been used and abused, I think it would be a good starter.
11-22-2016, 01:20 AM   #18
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by banana99 Quote
let's say i choose the k10d in favor of k5. What i'm losing in specs wise?
The K10D is really old. Smartphones can take better photos, frankly

The K-5 is the oldest I'd go if 450 euros is your budget, preferably the K-3 though, or if not, the K-5 II. With the latter you get much better low-light AF and crisper detail.

isn't the k-s1 aperture motor the same as the k50? if i buy something outside europe i'll be taxed
Our recent survey suggested some failures, but nowhere near the number that affected the K-30 or K-50. I have a hunch that Pentax identified and addressed the problem mid-production.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-22-2016, 03:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

On eBay UK, someone has put up a K-5 for £280 (€340) and a K-S2 for £300 (€370). Both have very low shutter count, with the K-S2 having under 2000. It may be worth a try to ask them about postage to Portugal.

11-22-2016, 06:12 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is my first camera, so i'm not really sure what my style is

Both K10D and K5 are some of the best cameras on the used market on a tight budjet. The major difference is the sensor size and type but remember rule n°1: you're the one who takes the photograph, the camera will not make a significant difference - do not think the camera will make the difference unless you are a 25 year pro and you're chasing perfection.
11-22-2016, 11:28 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is my first camera, so i'm not really sure what my style is

The biggest specs in my opinion are high ISO performance, better rear screen and live view. Also autofocus performance*, frames per second and metering. You can work around that stuff most of the time. If you get caught up in specs too long, the K10D looks like it can barely do anything. A lot has happened in ten years. But anyone who had one when it was new probably has 20 to 50,000 pictures from it. Some good ones if they have any talent.

*No one is ever happy with autofocus performance of any brand. Each camera on launch day has the best AF ever for that brand, which in reality is slightly better than the last model. Once that camera is a couple of years old, general consensus is that camera's AF is at best terrible.

Maybe a K-7 is a good compromise because they should be cheap. The K-7 has the first decent rear screen and live view. I use magnified live view for manual focus on a tripod, and really miss it if I don't have it. It also introduced the improved 77 segment metering and bumped up the frames per second to 5 I think. The high ISO performance is the only bad spec. You can turn it up to 6400 but the image will look like a bad impressionist painting. Stick to 1600 or less and it's good. The camera is very durable. These days I use mine for riskier shots. It's perfectly fine strapped to a car bumper, left out in the rain for lightning shots, or using a snowbank for a tripod. I don't know what cheap is today in Europe but I'd want to pay 100-120 Euros and get an 18-55 WR lens with it. If that's possible, you can spend a lot on other lenses. Most of why I can still use the K-7 is because I have all the infrastructure.

I'd keep looking for a K-5 because all of the great parts of the K-7 are included, but it has much better high ISO performance. That often allows me to use cheaper lenses and still get decent image brightness. The K-5 goes up to ISO 51200 which is still one of those optimistic specs, but I'm impressed how often 6400 works. The only problem is stretching the budget so far, you can't get anything else.

The K-30 and K-50 should be the obvious choice because they have the great sensor, everything else is capable and the price should allow you to get other stuff. I don't know how you minimize risk of aperture block failure. Maybe an already repaired one?
11-22-2016, 01:48 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm also a big fan of the K-5/K-5IIs, and own and use one of each. As others have suggested, if you can find a K-7 -- kind of the prototype K-5 -- you can get it for next to nothing. Has most of the K-5 virtues except rough high ISO and slightly worse autofocus. I used it for a couple years, though, and was happy.

With your budget you could afford a K-7 and a lens that's more interesting than the kit lens -- maybe a 21 or 15 Limited, for example.

11-22-2016, 02:55 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K10D is really old. Smartphones can take better photos, frankly
I don't think so... I'm sure you're familiar with the K10D thread.... https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/6-pentax-dslr-discussion/242738-k10d-club.html

There's more to image quality than low light capabilities...
11-22-2016, 03:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I would recommend that you study the eBay sales for all the cameras that are in your budget. I got a K100d for £30 in perfect condition (with a broken 55-300) as the seller hadn't tested it.

You will be able to find a bargain over time, keep looking.