Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #1
Forum Member

Recommended fill light flash k1

I am looking for a fill light flash for K1 low light outdoor situations, front lighting, and indoor where there is not significant light. My focus is on streetfashion (full body) and portraits, and i am very new to this game, so hopefully not something to technical but also will do a very good job. I am thinking a speedlight.

On a side note i do occasionally shoot freeze motion such as skateboarders, where i've been told to shoot fast flash duration and a high output of light. Not as essential as the above though.

I don't have any other supporting equipment which may be important to know, such as umbrellas, softboxes, strobes etc as yet.

Any recommendations would be appreciated

Last edited by yozza; 11-21-2016 at 06:37 PM.
11-21-2016, 07:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fill light isn't for low light conditions. It's to brighten up the shadows in good light conditions.

Either way, look for a flash that offers HSS and can be rotated.

It can be used. Something like a genuine Pentax 540 fits the bill, but Sigma and Metz make cheaper alternatives, you'll just have to spot/research any incompatibilities or needed firmware upgrades.

11-21-2016, 07:42 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I am a fan of Metz flashes. They are powerful and they will do P-TTL. I have used them in aircraft hangars and the light output surprises me especially for a compact flash unit.

obin
11-21-2016, 07:54 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Fill light isn't for low light conditions. It's to brighten up the shadows in good light conditions.

Either way, look for a flash that offers HSS and can be rotated.

It can be used. Something like a genuine Pentax 540 fits the bill, but Sigma and Metz make cheaper alternatives, you'll just have to spot/research any incompatibilities or needed firmware upgrades.
Yes true i think thats' what i meant clackers thanks

---------- Post added 11-21-16 at 07:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Obin Robinson Quote
I am a fan of Metz flashes. They are powerful and they will do P-TTL. I have used them in aircraft hangars and the light output surprises me especially for a compact flash unit.

obin
Hi Obin,

Is there any flash that you would be recommend at all, or for what i am looking for?

Thanks

11-21-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have 3 Pentax AF360FGZ's. Though they do not swivel left/right, they do rotate from pointing straight ahead (level) to straight up. The AF540FGZ is the more powerful flash and does swivel left/right and rotate level to straight up. The AF360FGZ II and AF540FGZ II are the newer weather resistant versions of their predecessors. Any of these flashes most likely cover your stated need.

https://www.amazon.com/AF360FGZ-PENTAX-Auto-, Flash/dp/B000A4ZN3K/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1479783498&sr=8-4&keywords=pentax+af360fgz#HLCXComparisonWidget_feature_div

https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-AF360FGZ-II-Flash-Cameras/dp/B00CJZN6XC/ref=sr...ax+af360fgz+ii

Amazon.com : Pentax AF540FGZ Flash for Pentax and Samsung Digital SLR Cameras : On Camera Shoe Mount Flashes : Camera & Photo

https://www.amazon.com/Pentax-AF540FGZ-II-Flash-Cameras/dp/B00CJZN8W6/ref=sr...ax+af540fgz+ii

Last edited by C_Jones; 11-21-2016 at 08:27 PM.
11-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yozza Quote
fast flash duration and a high output of light.
With small AA powered flash units high speed* and high light** output are mutually exclusive. If you want high power get a studio monobloc flash, at full power [1:1] their T.1. times are faster than any IGBT flash. IGBT flash units are slow as hell at 1:1 power***, they are only faster at low output levels where the IGBT switch truncates the output of the flash, leading to shorter durations.

Also it is possible to get colour inaccuracies with short flash duration due to the oscillations in the plasma arc with short pulses. Flash units can vary as much as 100 kelvin per power level. If you want to do fashion photography you need a flash that has low colour variance, or a really good set of flash gels - though gels limit the type of modifiers you can use with your flash.

* short T.1. times, some manufacturers only state the T0.5 spec, or hype how fast their flash is at this spec, they are moving the goal posts. When it comes to stopping motion, a short T.1. time is all that really counts.
** usually measured in Watt seconds, sometimes Joules.
*** the first generation AF540FGZ T.1 isn't much faster than 1/180th at 1:1

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-21-2016 at 09:10 PM.
11-22-2016, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I recommend the Pentax AF-540FGZII to be paired with your K1, and for your stated usage style and techniques ..... not a cheap option, but worth it in my opinion! I'd start out by getting used to and skilled with the single flash on-camera first .... then when you want to expand the creative quality and possibilities look to some of the more complex off-camera / multi-light choices. For a practical look at some direct HSS working with a Pentax AF-540FGZ, check out my Demo thread here at PentaxUser.com ..... A Practical Look at High Speed Synch

Also feel free to grab a copy of my Guide to Flash with Pentax DSLRs and Pentax Flashes ..... there's a section dedicated to HSS as well as practical exposure control and balancing techniques .....(download from the link below my post).

11-22-2016, 03:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you can afford a K-1, getting an AF360FGZII should not be a problem. It's different from the previous version in that it bounces and swivels. It also does high speed sync. I think it does everything you want a flash to do. Or, get the more powerful (and more expensive) AF540FGZ II.