Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
11-27-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

To update K3 firmware or not?

I have a K3 that I bought new a couple of years ago. Because of my schedule (life) the camera only has 2662 shutter actuation's. When I do use the camera, I have never had a problem with it.
I'm afraid of possibly creating problems by trying the firmware download, that I don't have now. Is that crazy to think about?
What benefits will I get from the download?
Thanks

Last edited by Shakey; 11-27-2016 at 08:55 AM. Reason: typo
11-27-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had my K3 for a year now, and still haven't updated the firmware. I'm not too "tech" smart, and like you; I'm afraid of something going wrong & damaging the camera. I'll also be interested in the answers here.
11-27-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

No, it's not crazy to have some concern over updating the firmware... There is always the possibility that it will introduce odd behaviour (we've seen minor issues with new firmware before) - however, that's very unlikely, and if any bugs do exist they'll likely be very minor (the only one I can ever remember was a situation where the main screen stayed on when the shutter button was depressed - it didn't affect normal operation and was resolved very soon after). I already updated my K-3 a few days ago (when the firmware update was announced) and I've been using the camera since with no problems at all. Just be sure that your battery is fully charged when you do the update, and you'll be fine.

I'm not sure what firmware you're currently running - there have been a few fixes in previous updates, but no new features I can think of. This latest firmware (which includes all the previous changes) adds compatibility for KAF4 lenses, where the aperture mechanism is controlled electronically rather than mechanically. Only one such lens currently exists - the DA 55-300 PLM, but we can assume there will be more in future. It's a worthwhile update.

Last edited by BigMackCam; 11-27-2016 at 09:08 AM.
11-27-2016, 09:05 AM   #4
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
This latest firmware (which includes all the previous changes) adds compatibility for KAF4 lenses, where the aperture mechanism is controlled electronically rather than mechanically. Only one such lens currently exists - the DA 55-300 PLM, but we can assume there will be more in future. It's a worthwhile update.
Wow! I didn't think the K3 was included for the update for KAF4 lenses; many complained that the K3 was excluded! Guess the complaints were heard!

11-27-2016, 09:11 AM   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Wow! I didn't think the K3 was included for the update for KAF4 lenses; many complained that the K3 was excluded! Guess the complaints were heard!
Yes indeed The K-50 and K-3 updates were released simultaneously, four days ago. K-3 info here:

Pentax K-3 Firmware v1.30 Released - Firmware Updates | PentaxForums.com

Go on, Carol... you can do it!
11-27-2016, 09:14 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I did the firmware update and it was quick and painless. From what I have heard the new PLM version of the 55-300 has very quick and very quiet autofocus. The successful firmware update definitely has me considering upgrading my HD DA 55-300 to the PLM version. The only thing I don't like about the HD DA 55-300 is the autofocus and it looks like tis would solve my one issue without needing to upgrade the camera. I have no desire to upgrade from my K-3.
11-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #7
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Go on, Carol... you can do it!
Mike, I'm just not "tech" savy enough to have confidence to try it. I've never been able to unzip a file (which I'd have to do with the update), so that worries me. Yes, I've had several "unzip" programs, to no avail for my limited experience with computers. I have no one around that could do it for me, either.

11-27-2016, 09:51 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless you lose power during the upgrade, you shouldn't have anything to worry about Just make sure that your battery is topped off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-27-2016, 09:53 AM   #9
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Mike, I'm just not "tech" savy enough to have confidence to try it. I've never been able to unzip a file (which I'd have to do with the update), so that worries me. Yes, I've had several "unzip" programs, to no avail for my limited experience with computers. I have no one around that could do it for me, either.
Understood Well, you're not missing out on anything for now... Just that one lens requires KAF4 compatibility, and if I remember correctly you already have those focal lengths covered...
11-27-2016, 10:01 AM   #10
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, I'm pretty well covered now with focal lengths; it's still frustrating that I am not more computer savy. However, I'm self-taught, and had a dummy for a teacher!
11-27-2016, 10:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

The update process is not really difficult and if you follow the step-by-step instructions, there's nothing to be worried about.
11-27-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
The update process is not really difficult and if you follow the step-by-step instructions, there's nothing to be worried about.
It is for me; for instance:

"Make sure that the .bin file is at the root level of the card"

I don't understand this at all. Anyway I'm covered; a very kind fellow member is going to send me the update already on an SD card, so that eliminates any struggles for me to get the update! The members here, are the best!
11-27-2016, 10:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax included an extended warrantee with my K-7 which included one free service center cleaning and adjustment. They would have updated the firmware then. I don't think that's part of the regular warrantee but if I was upgrade-averse, I'd look for something like that on my next purchase, even if it was extra cost.

I've done around 9 firmware upgrades on 4 cameras and it has always worked, but I hold my breath every time.
11-27-2016, 10:23 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I don't understand this at all. Anyway I'm covered; a very kind fellow member is going to send me the update already on an SD card, so that eliminates any struggles for me to get the update! The members here, are the best!

That says that you should place the downloaded firmware file directly on top level of the card folder structure. I.e. if your SD card is indicated in your PC as drive E:, you should copy the .bin file directly to E: (not into any subfolder).
11-27-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand this at all...
Especially when someone offers to explain that sentence.

Almost thirty years of effort have gone into isolating the user from having to know anything about that.