Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 06:26 AM   #1

Problem trying to install K50 firmware update

In response to a recent email from Ricoh regarding the latest available firmware update for my K-50, I have downloaded the zip file as instructed onto an SD card, but when I go to the Setup menu on the camera, although it tells me what version I already have, it doesn't show the update pending on the inserted SD card, so I can;t install it. I have v1.02, and it's version 1.10 that is now available.
Anyoone else had this problem, and if so, how did your resolve it?

11-28-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to unzip the file and only add the .bin file in the root directory not in any folder on the card. It's also best if you format the card in your camera first.
11-28-2016, 07:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
You need to unzip the file and only add the .bin file in the root directory not in any folder on the card. It's also best if you format the card in your camera first.
Thanks, but I had done both those actions - unzipped and only copied the .bin file onto a formatted SD card. What else should I do?
11-28-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I couldn't get it to automatically start the update. So, after doing the initial unzip, copy file to newly formatted SD card, I went into the menu settings of the wrench, number 4, last entry. Highlight that, using the four way control, tap the right side and follow the directions from there.

11-28-2016, 08:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Make sure you are starting with a fully charged battery.
11-28-2016, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ricoh's instructions are the same as I posted about but in a more ordered format.

QuoteQuote:
Updating Procedure

• [1] Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.
    The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.
    • Fwdc222b.bin: This is the updated firmware
      Copy the above Firmware file [fwdc222b.bin] to the root directory in the SD card.
      If your computer does not have a card slot, you can copy the firmware update file by inserting the SD card into your camera and then connecting the camera directly to your computer.
  • [2]Insert the the D-LI109 battery into the camera and confirm the battery is full by battery level indicator then turn the camera off.
  • [3] Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera and close card cover.
  • [4] Turn the camera power on.
  • [5] Press MENU button to display MENU screen.
  • [6] Press the four-way controller right to display [Set-up 4] menu screen.
  • [7] Select [Firmware Info /Options] in the [Set-up 4] menu then press the four-way controller right.
    The firmware version for the camera and lens are displayed on the [Firmware Info/Options] screen.
  • [8] Press the four-way controller right to display update screen.
    Press the four-way controller up to select [Start] and press OK button.
    *If firmware file is not saved to SD card correctly, this screen will not be displayed.
  • [9] Card access lamp will be blinked and display will be changed from [NOW LODING] to [COMPLETE].
    *Do not turn OFF the camera while updating.
  • [10] Automatically turn OFF the camera. (Approx. 5 second)
  • [11] Remove the SD card from camera.
    *Confirm the version of firmware with above [How to check version].
  • [Caution]
    When updating is finished, the update SD card still contains the Firmware file.
    If you want to use this card to take pictures, format the card by the camera to delete firmware file first.
The camera will tell you if there isn't enough battery. It did, when I just updated mine. And changing to a fully charged battery, I now have firmware updated to 1.10.
12-03-2016, 01:38 PM   #7

it might depend on what version of windows your using regarding unzipping the file. I would format the card first in camera. then use a card reader and install the .bin file unto the card. Then insert into the camera. Go to firmware updates and take it from there. My 3 cents.

Good luck

12-05-2016, 01:36 AM   #8

What are the advantages of upgrading the firmware? Is it just to be able to use the new lenses they mention or what are the other benefits?
12-06-2016, 04:32 PM   #9

I'm under the impression that there were security fixes and bug fixes as well. But there are people here who have tons more experience/knowledge than I do. I guess you could get a full breakdown at Ricoh's site. And I think there is a thread going in this same section asking the same question
02-27-2017, 07:40 AM   #10

Original Poster
Still no joy!

I have followed to the letter the instructions kindly sent to me - SD card formatted within the camera, file copied onot SAD card root, menu choices selected as described - , but no joy. The camera tells me what version firmware is installed, but will not budge for a right-controller-click or anything to indicate it might be happy to install the new .bin file.

Any more suggestions, please???
02-27-2017, 08:00 AM   #11

I would try another card and or card reader

---------- Post added 02-27-17 at 03:02 PM ----------

I would also make sure you can see the file on the sd card, it should not be in a folder.
02-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Ditto what screwdriver suggested you do. I had no problems installing the latest firmware on my K-50.

In copying the file over, did you make sure it was the .bin file? Not the whole download you got at Ricoh's site because the .bin file is inside the software and you have to extract the proper file to copy to the root directory.

How did you copy it?

I don't actually use the copy feature of contextual menu in Windows, I highlight the file, right click on it and drag it to the open SD card that way I make sure it's in the root directory.
02-27-2017, 09:40 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by screwdriver222 Quote
I would try another card and or card reader

---------- Post added 02-27-17 at 03:02 PM ----------

I would also make sure you can see the file on the sd card, it should not be in a folder.
Tried a newly-formatted SD card, no folder showing, copied the .bin file over, still no joy!
02-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Try downloading the whole file again from Ricoh could be you got a corrupted download. It happens even in the computer world.
02-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Try downloading the whole file again from Ricoh could be you got a corrupted download. It happens even in the computer world.
I have tried both that and from the CD which came with the camera. However, I succeeded when I pressed the menu button and then turned the camera on at the same time.