Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2017, 09:59 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
3] Insert the update SD card (prepared in step 1) into the camera and close card cover. [4] Turn the camera power on. [5] Press MENU button to display MENU screen.
I believe that is what Ricoh suggests to do to install the firmware.

Good to hear you finally got it to update.

04-01-2019, 06:32 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Ditto what screwdriver suggested you do. I had no problems installing the latest firmware on my K-50.

In copying the file over, did you make sure it was the .bin file? Not the whole download you got at Ricoh's site because the .bin file is inside the software and you have to extract the proper file to copy to the root directory.

How did you copy it?

I don't actually use the copy feature of contextual menu in Windows, I highlight the file, right click on it and drag it to the open SD card that way I make sure it's in the root directory.
Formatted card in camera, then stuck it back into the slot on my laptop (LENOVO W-7) and copied the *.bin file from a folder in a USB drive where I had extracted the ZIP file copied onto the download folder to. Even deleted the DCIM folder on the card which format installs automatically, apparently.
Tried the ON switch with the Menue button mashed; just turned on normally. Went through the firmware install (again) and lo and behold!; this time I got a blue block in which the installation option was displayed!
When I selected install, it did!
(upgrading from V. 1.0)
Now to fire up the K-50 and see if it works... not that it ever has all that well...