Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 02:53 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, but a photo or two of it mounted on the camera would help immensely, so we can see the actual two-part adapter (which may in fact be two adapters)...
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Agreed. I suggested photos earlier. Maybe even a movie of the attempt at removal would help.
Yes, very strange. I very much would like to see a photo of this adapter.

Steve

11-28-2016, 03:01 PM   #17

Original Poster
Well then I'll take a photo of it tomorrow.
There are two slots in the outer part of the adapter, the inner part just fits inside and held by grub screws.
Thanks for the tips.
11-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BenCPentax Quote
I don't see why a photo would help, actually.
Cheers.
Ben, we're keen to help you. I'm keen to help you. There are many adapters that look quite like each other but aren't exactly the same. One of us here will probably recognise the exact adaptor. All we have to go on right now is what you're telling us. Maybe the photo won't help, but it just might
11-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well then I'll take a photo of it tomorrow.
There are two slots in the outer part of the adapter, the inner part just fits inside and held by grub screws.
Thanks for the tips.
Excellent. I'll look out for your post

11-28-2016, 03:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

third party adapters without the locking pin hole (or even with it) can get stuck if turned too much CCW, passed the mounting point when being removed. then the adapter can turn a bit, maybe even wiggle but will not come off. The best solution is to access the small copper locking metal thingy (looking at the camera from the front, it is located on the left side, just above the aperture control mechanism) in the mount (that normally prevents the lens from turning too far CCW), through the adapter (make a tool if you can not reach it otherwise) and than, turn further CCW until in the proper un-mounting position (about 280 deg or so if this is the case).
I did this for me and some of my friends a number of times. It should take a minute or so if you push the right buttons.

Hereunder, a quick photo of the metal thingy you should push on from the inside.

Regards,

MArko
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo 
11-28-2016, 04:01 PM - 1 Like   #21

I've managed to get a reverse adaptor stuck and only the local shop managed to get it out by drilling on the screws positions and taking the hole mount out.

Hope it helps, for me it was a 35€ lesson, and I wouldn’t do it myself.

Daniel
Attached Images

Last edited by danielblues; 11-29-2016 at 02:46 AM.
11-29-2016, 03:46 AM   #22

Original Poster
Audi, thanks for that tip. The adapter is quite deep so the tab you mentioned was not accessible.

Tried drilling the front face of the adapter with Dremel and 3.5mm bit, it's solid aluminium so not a great idea (used a sock in the mirror box and a vacuum to take away the metal dust so no problem there).

Eventually had success last night, I got it off the same way I got it on, with the lens attached. (Meyer Orestogon 300mm f/4)
Gave it a couple hard turns each way and it seemed to free itself. Lens mount wasn't damaged thankfully.

I won't be using this adapter again, and might re-sell the lens since it's enormous.
I'll post a photo of the adapter later, bit busy right now.

Last edited by BenCPentax; 11-29-2016 at 05:04 AM.
11-29-2016, 05:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I was just about to suggest trying it with the lens on.
I got a tamron adaptall stuck last week and got it off fairly easy when I tried to remove it with the lens on..

I assume you mean a p6 to pk adapter then? Or have you got the p6 to m42 on the lens and then used and m42 to pk?

I can't quite remember what my exact adapter setup is on my Orestegon, but I'll check today for you and tell you what I've got on it.
11-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Okay, so: I've got the original lens to pentacon6 mount adapter (the one that gets tightened to the lens with a threaded ring).
That is adapted to a K&F Concept Pentacon 6 to Pentax K adapter which locks into the camera normally.

I initially had the m42 mount for the lens, but found that too insecure of a fit for the massive lens.

I'd still be interested in seeing a picture of the part that got stuck by you!
11-30-2016, 10:55 AM   #25

Original Poster
Just a follow up, it seems this adapter works very well actually....IF you get the red dots lined up.
So I tried the Meyer lens and just working out how to meter with it now.
The lens tripod mount seems to be larger than normal.

Thanks for all the tips and advice. :-)
11-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #26
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Ben - to put us out of our misery, would you mind posting a photo of the adapter, please? It would extinguish our (my ) curiosity and may be helpful to others in future. It helps to expand everyone's knowledge. Thanks in advance
11-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #27

Original Poster
Reason I haven't uploaded a photo is I'm trying to switch from PC to Mac, after re-installing the Mac....PC is not working well
and yes I'll add a photo of this Pentax K to M adapter as and when I can.
11-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #28
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanks Ben - it would be appreciated. Good luck with the upgrade...
11-30-2016, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Glad you got everything to work!

The lens tripod mount seems to be larger than normal.
There are 3/8" to 1/4" adapters available for that, your local camera store should have some lying around somewhere.
12-05-2016, 05:15 AM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
S.W. Ireland doesn't have a 'local camera store'....nearest is 60 miles and it's rather basic.

At last photos of the adapter.....first photo shows hole I drilled before realising I didn't need to.
Second photo shows the recess thingy.
Main thing I learned was to line up the red dots and it works just fine.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo