Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2016, 02:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Battery conditioning

Hi all,
I have a few batteries that I use on my K-3 and K-5.
These batteries are doing well but I know that I'm not conditioning them well.
You are supposed to fully or nearly fully discharge them and keep them fully charged.
I do fully charge them but they mostly get partially discharged on trips and then put back on the charger.
Is there a product that will help maintain them better?

Thanks..

11-28-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lloyd_Christmas Quote
Hi all,
I have a few batteries that I use on my K-3 and K-5.
These batteries are doing well but I know that I'm not conditioning them well.
You are supposed to fully or nearly fully discharge them and keep them fully charged.
I do fully charge them but they mostly get partially discharged on trips and then put back on the charger.
Is there a product that will help maintain them better?

Thanks..
40% charge is actually the recommended value for long term storage of lithium chemistry rechargeable batteries. If you use them frequently and rotate them I think you have nothing to worry about. BU-702: How to Store Batteries ? Battery University
11-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The advice for lithium batteries is the OPPOSITE of the older batteries that needed conditioning. A full discharge of a lithium battery is more damaging than multiple partial discharges. And repeatedly trying to get the last bit of juice out of a dying battery (or letting a dead battery sit for months) is likely to permanently damage it.

Some manufacturers suggest occasionally using a battery up in order to calibrate the battery monitoring software. The process will NOT prolong the life of the battery but it might improve the accuracy of the battery indicator.
11-29-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The advice for lithium batteries is the OPPOSITE of the older batteries that needed conditioning. A full discharge of a lithium battery is more damaging than multiple partial discharges. And repeatedly trying to get the last bit of juice out of a dying battery (or letting a dead battery sit for months) is likely to permanently damage it.

Some manufacturers suggest occasionally using a battery up in order to calibrate the battery monitoring software. The process will NOT prolong the life of the battery but it might improve the accuracy of the battery indicator.
This has always been my understanding, as well.

I believe it was the Nickel-Metal-Hydride (NiMH) batteries that needed to be fully discharged. This is not true of Lithium-Ion batteries used in modern dslrs.

11-29-2016, 03:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

The biggest culprit as far as conditioning goes were the predecessor to NiMH which were the Nickel Cadmium (NiCad) batteries. NiCads were prone to developing a 'memory' where they would neither fully charge nor fully discharge depending on use, conditioning was a process whereby the battery was forced to discharge to a safe level and was then re-charged to a full level. NiMh batteries do not have the memory problem and neither do Li-Ion and both types can be re-charged at any stage of discharge without issue. The only caveat that should be observed is not to fully discharge a NiMh battery beyond it's safe level as they can flip polarity which causes major issues. In other words if you use NiMh batteries in things like flashlights and portable radios do not leave them on and let them run completely flat. 'Smart' devices can sense the battery voltage and will shut down before the battery is totally depleted, 'dumb' devices (like flashlights and radios) cannot.