Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2016, 12:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Sigma 70-210 Rubber Problems

Hey everyone, I bought a Sigma 70-210 from @UncleVanya a while back and the rubber for the zoom got so sticky that I can't even move the zoom at all. Focus works fine, just the zoom won't move. It's in fact so bad now that the rubber is melting onto my hands lol. I was wondering if there was any way to eloquently remove this rubber,

I know it's probably not worth fixing this lens but I want to keep busy while I'm recovering from my car accident.

Sigma 70-210mm F4-5.6 UC Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Link to the lens.

11-29-2016, 02:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a classic for those Sigmas... I have one too (or a very similar model) and it's melting too...

There are some threads on that issue:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/226584-remo...n-coating.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/238479-best...zoom-ring.html
11-29-2016, 04:31 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
It's a classic for those Sigmas... I have one too (or a very similar model) and it's melting too...

There are some threads on that issue:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/226584-remo...n-coating.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/238479-best...zoom-ring.html
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.
11-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Hey everyone, I bought a Sigma 70-210 from @UncleVanya a while back and the rubber for the zoom got so sticky that I can't even move the zoom at all. Focus works fine, just the zoom won't move. It's in fact so bad now that the rubber is melting onto my hands lol. I was wondering if there was any way to eloquently remove this rubber,

I know it's probably not worth fixing this lens but I want to keep busy while I'm recovering from my car accident.

Sigma 70-210mm F4-5.6 UC Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Link to the lens.
Just to add to this, as I recall the lens died after I shipped it and I refunded the purchase and suggested you keep the lens since it wasn't worth return shipping correct?

11-29-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Just to add to this, as I recall the lens died after I shipped it and I refunded the purchase and suggested you keep the lens since it wasn't worth return shipping correct?
Yep that's indeed the case,
11-29-2016, 05:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

GooGone...

I guess I'm lucky the one I have hasn't gone sticky but I picked up the same lens in a Nikon mount this summer to get the lens hood to go on mine. It was very sticky but a liberal wipe-down with GooGone solved the problem. The best part was I turned around and resold the lens without the hood for half again more than I paid for it. I never heard anything back from the buyer so I guess my fix took.