Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2016, 06:34 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Full Size L-Bracket for the K-1

Does anyone have experience with or a source for purchasing a good quality L-Bracket for the K-1 ---- for use when the battery grip is installed?

12-01-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redburnusa Quote
Does anyone have experience with or a source for purchasing a good quality L-Bracket for the K-1 ---- for use when the battery grip is installed?
While we're asking about things that are hard/impossible to source. I'd be interested in an L-Bracket kit that somehow works with both the BG and without.
12-02-2016, 03:35 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by redburnusa Quote
I took delivery of the dedicated Kirk L-bracket two weeks ago after rejecting the equivalent product from the Really Right Stuff. They are both really well made and have lugs that securely locate with the camera;s baseplate... There is no twisting when using the camera in portrait orientation, even with a heavy Pentax 15-30mm lens attached. I decided upon the Kirk bracket as it allows full access to the ports on the camera body side. Now when I orientate the camera vertically it is centred over the tripod head and column provoding a secure platform. Unfortunately I don't think it would with a power grip. Hope this helps.
12-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeaPea Quote
I took delivery of the dedicated Kirk L-bracket two weeks ago after rejecting the equivalent product from the Really Right Stuff. They are both really well made and have lugs that securely locate with the camera;s baseplate... There is no twisting when using the camera in portrait orientation, even with a heavy Pentax 15-30mm lens attached. I decided upon the Kirk bracket as it allows full access to the ports on the camera body side. Now when I orientate the camera vertically it is centred over the tripod head and column provoding a secure platform. Unfortunately I don't think it would with a power grip. Hope this helps.
Yeah, I've seen the Kirk plates, and they look gorgeous. They do make a full-size plate for the K-1 that isn't an L-bracket design, if that interests anyone.

12-02-2016, 11:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
While we're asking about things that are hard/impossible to source. I'd be interested in an L-Bracket kit that somehow works with both the BG and without.
I too like the Kirk L bracket. I'm on my second one (1 for the K20D and 1 across the K5/K5IIs). I really don't know how you could have an L bracket that would service the body with and with out the grip, especially while providing access to the left hand side of the camera body?

12-02-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I too like the Kirk L bracket. I'm on my second one (1 for the K20D and 1 across the K5/K5IIs). I really don't know how you could have an L bracket that would service the body with and with out the grip, especially while providing access to the left hand side of the camera body?

Well, the Kirk L bracket has the left side arrive unattached from the bottom plate. I would buy a bundle that included a long and a short left side of the bracket.

Photos (PDF) for reference: https://www.kirkphoto.com/amfilerating/file/download/file_id/137/
12-04-2016, 05:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote

Have you had any problems with the one for the K20D? I'm interested in one as I have the K20D, but I'm also seriously considering a K-3 II. Any possibility the one for the K20D will also fit the K-3 II. Thanks.

12-04-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cardinal43 Quote
Have you had any problems with the one for the K20D? I'm interested in one as I have the K20D, but I'm also seriously considering a K-3 II. Any possibility the one for the K20D will also fit the K-3 II. Thanks.
I had my K20 for 3 years and sold it about 5 years ago. The Kirk L Bracket fit absolutely perfect - like a glove. When I acquired my K5 I did put the K20 bracket on it for a couple of weeks. The K20 was a larger body than the K5 so, there was some space between the bracket and the body on the side. It was usable, but I finally ordered the K5 Kirk L Bracket and sold both the K20 and the bracket. My current K5 Kirk bracket also fits like a glove on the K5 body. Kirk does an excellent job with their brackets - I do really like them.

As to the K20 bracket fitting on the K3II body, probably. From what I remember, the K3 is a tad larger than the K5 but smaller than the K20. So, I would imagine that you would experience the same situation as I did, with some additional space on the left hand side of the camera. It still does work, but it just looks a bid odd.

Kirk designs and then builds a run of product early in the body's life span, then sells them until their are gone. Then waits for the next body. When I purchased the K5 bracket - they had already sold out of the K20s. I see now looking at their web site that they have plates for a number of Pentax bodies, but only L brackets for the K1. I also see that they have an universal L bracket - which I have never used or looked at. YMMV.

I also see that the K1 L bracket is of a different design - essentially two pieces. My only experience is with the single piece of CNC aluminum stock.

12-05-2016, 04:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thank you very much for the detailed information.
07-02-2017, 06:14 AM   #10
Site Supporter

I'm also interested in an option for a L-Bracket that fits the K1 with attached battery grip .. anyone found a solution yet?
07-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A quick search yielded this article. The author shoots a K-5II, and in comments someone says they use the same bracket on their Nikon D750 and D500. The author links to a product on Amazon but the link is no good and I couldn't find the product searching Amazon. You can see it here on the manufacturer site on a variety of bodies, and it looks like it might work on a K-1.

Last edited by TomTom; 07-02-2017 at 10:41 AM.
07-03-2017, 06:25 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Universal Two-Piece Design L-Bracket/L-Plate Arca-Swiss Type by ProMediaGear
02-12-2018, 10:01 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone has experienced the above PLX4x L-Bracket with K-1 and it's battery Grip?

the thing is that the Grip's mounting screw, is offset to the right compared to the screw on the camera, and would require a longer base...

waiting for any reviews/ advices on this...

thanks
02-13-2018, 01:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This one from arca-swiss can be also interesting...
Arca-Swiss L-Bracket 802306 B&H Photo Video