Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2016, 10:15 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
I use backbutton autofocus which doesn't matter because these are manual focus lens.
What I was saying is that it does matter, because you still need to press the button in order to get the AF system to try to confirm focus, even with a completely manual lens.
On my K-30 I hold the AF button and turn the focus ring until I see the confirmation light; if I don't press the button, the light never comes on no matter how well I'm focused.

12-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #17

Original Poster
that is a good tip. Will try that as well. Just moving the camera around I see shutter and iso changing automatically. I still get F-- and liveview eats battery juice like candy. I'll plug away at it today and maybe call pentax tomm I see the red square come up while focusing, but it doesn't seem to be accurate. The red square comes up even if I don't press the autofocus botton on my camera, while turning the focus ring.
12-04-2016, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

The red square is just telling you that the camera is using that (center) focus point, and the AF system is active. The green hexagon in the status bar below tells you when the camera thinks you're in focus.

If the subject is not totally static, I have trouble managing every single thing. It's an M42 lens I can't focus wide open and shoot stopped down without an extra step. So I'll give up changing settings with every shot. I might set the aperture to f4, mode to Av and pick a reasonable fixed ISO. Then the camera will change the shutter speed automatically. I can use exposure compensation to adjust for my lighting conditions. (Remember the metering switches to center-weighted so it's not quite as smart as 77-segment matrix.) The viewfinder is slightly darker when the aperture ring is at f4 but it's not terrible. Focusing at an exact point is less precise because the lens is not wide open and you see more depth of field, but you see what you'll get in the photo - it's like permanent DOF preview. After a few test shots to get the exposure close enough, I can just concentrate on framing and focusing.

You can get a lot better with practice and familiarity with the lens. Focus practice is probably essential if you are just using the stock screen. You can get the idea here that people just throw on any old lens and are immediately great at focusing, but you have to know what to look for in the viewfinder. I like to keep the camera to my eye a lot, so I also become familiar with the lens's aperture ring. I can go up or down a full stop on a Takumar 55 by turning the ring two clicks. If I want to focus more precisely, I can turn the aperture ring to wide open, focus, then count clicks to get back to my shooting aperture.
12-04-2016, 11:57 AM   #19

Original Poster
thanks, I guess screwing around indoors aka inside doesn't help me much either. I came to the conclusion that it takes practice. Why don't I get the 'beep' though. I was looking for a green dot, like nikon uses. But the red square "is" the focus confirmation light. Where I find beep

And why do I still get F-- I changed the aperture ring from auto to man and vice versa, doesn't affect anything.

Last edited by enyaw; 12-04-2016 at 12:05 PM.
12-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #20
Pentaxian

The camera can only display the aperture for lenses with electrical contacts. Anything without contacts or disconnected (like A lenses with the ring off A position) shows the F--.

The Auto/Man switch on an M42 lens switches the aperture control from just the aperture ring (Man) to the chrome pin sticking out the back of the lens (Auto). DSLRs can't press that pin so Auto is not automatic for us DSLR users. When the chrome pin isn't pressed in, the lens aperture is wide open. You can use the switch like that, to switch from wide open for focusing to f8 for shooting. It might be easier than counting clicks like I describe above, especially if your shooting aperture is a high f number.
12-04-2016, 05:09 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

do i turn off auto iso?
I don't think so. I believe the camera will default to manual ISO. Edit: I am probably wrong here, though it is easy enough to check.

Do I have to be using live view in order to get the beep and confirmation light?
No, both should be active when not using live view. Focus confirmation is a red square at center of the viewfinder and green hexagon in the status bar across the bottom and a beep.

It's sets a shutter speed for me but I see F-----
F--- is displayed whenever the body is not able to set the aperture. Since the aperture is set on the aperture ring and is unknown to the body, F--- is displayed instead.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-07-2016 at 06:10 PM.
12-04-2016, 05:42 PM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is generally true for AF-S, AF "on" with K-mount lenses, but the OP is using a K-50 with adapted M42 55/1.8. IIRC, the K-50 is one of those models where catch-in-focus will not work with lenses having a non-conductive (painted or anodized) base. If my memory is wrong, please feel free to correct. (I don't have a K-50 at hand.)
Does focus confirmation work at all with non-conductive lens bases on the K-01, K-30/50?
12-04-2016, 05:46 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Does focus confirmation work at all with non-conductive lens bases on the K-01, K-30/50?
Good question. I tested one of my taks on my friend's K-50 when she got it two years ago, and seem to remember that it worked, but that CIF did not.

Steve

12-05-2016, 04:39 PM   #24

Original Poster
How do I turn on the focus confirmation beep. I actually see the green hex in the viewfinder now. I would like to hear the beep as well. Thanks in advance, does using backbutton focus cancel the beep?
12-05-2016, 05:33 PM   #25

Setup 1 Menu - Sound Effects
12-05-2016, 05:53 PM   #26

Original Poster
thank you
12-07-2016, 04:57 PM   #27

Original Poster
Hi I need a clarification. Should I be in Manual mode or AV mode when using these lens? And what's the diff? I did follow the steps but somehow had to input the focal length manually. Btw I'm still in AV. All things aside. How dark will the viewfinder get when I get above F4? Will I be able to see anything though/in it? And does that affect the picture outcome or just what I "see"
12-07-2016, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi I need a clarification. Should I be in Manual mode or AV mode when using these lens? And what's the diff? I did follow the steps but somehow had to input the focal length manually. Btw I'm still in AV. All things aside. How dark will the viewfinder get when I get above F4? Will I be able to see anything though/in it? And does that affect the picture outcome or just what I "see"
When shooting with M42 lens, your Exif will show "no lens" - the camera doesn't actually know there is a lens there. As for shooting... you will find focusing wide open is easiest, then stopping down to desired aperture - shooting in Av Mode works because the camera cannot stop down your M42 lens - it thinks its wide open and is adjusting accordingly - that being said, if you are old school and shoot sunny 16, manual mode works just fine, especially if you chimp a test shot or two. In Av mode, the camera adjust exposure automatically, but you have to give it some leeway, as exposure can vary a little from optimal (if I recall correctly, its using spot metering instead of matrix)
12-07-2016, 06:52 PM - 1 Like   #29
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Should I be in Manual mode or AV mode when using these lens?
Dang, I wish I had a K-50 in hand! There is some variation in how the various Pentax bodies work in regards to stop-down metering with adapted lenses. All will adjust shutter speed in Av mode as you stop down a manual aperture lens. Most will also meter with the green button in M mode using a manual aperture lens, though some will not.

And what's the diff?
Av mode metering is full time. M mode is "set once and shoot". There are pluses and minuses to both. You can't do manual metering (sunny 16 or hand-held) in Av mode.

I did follow the steps but somehow had to input the focal length manually.
That is expected for all non-AF lenses.

How dark will the viewfinder get when I get above F4?
Half the light disappears for each full stop.

Will I be able to see anything though/in it? And does that affect the picture outcome or just what I "see"
Seeing becomes more difficult as the viewfinder dims. Yes, it does affect the outcome since you are seeing the same light that strikes the sensor. Remember, though, that ISO and shutter speed make up the rest of the exposure triangle.

The matter of viewfinder dimming has implications as far as work flow and most users find a sequence that works for them. The bullet points for adapted M42 lenses go something like this:
  • Your best manual focus performance will be with the lens wide open
  • Unless you intend to shoot wide open, the aperture must be stopped down at exposure time
  • The above two points place the user of adapted M42 lenses back to the earliest days of SLR photography where manual lens stop down was the norm and the photographer was frequently having to open the aperture up to focus and stopping it back down to shoot.
How this requirement translates depends a lot on whether you use M or Av modes. In Av mode, the shot sequence goes something like this:
  1. Lens A/M switch in M position and aperture wide open
  2. Focus on subject
  3. Rotate aperture ring to narrower openings until either the desired f/stop is reached (count the clicks) or the desired shutter speed is displayed. The viewfinder will dim as your stop down.
  4. Make your exposure
  5. Repeat above steps for additional exposures
A variation of the above is to set the aperture ring in advance and use the A/M switch to move from wide-open to stopped down to make the shot. If exposures are too light or too dark, use exposure compensation to provide shorter or longer exposure times.

M mode works something like this:
  1. Determine and apply exposure settings
    • For bodies that support green button in M mode with adapted lenses you may stop the lens down to the desired aperture and push the green button to set the appropriate shutter speed
    • If using best guess, "sunny 16", or a hand-held meter; simply set the desired aperture and shutter speed directly.
  2. Focus on subject with aperture wide open
  3. Stop down lens
  4. Take photo
  5. Repeat from step two until either the light or subject changes
This is all much easier than it sounds and actually helps reinforce a good understanding of exposure and the things that the cameras usually does for you.

Steve
12-08-2016, 08:15 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Does focus confirmation work at all with non-conductive lens bases on the K-01
K-01 does not have focus confirmation. It is up to user to estimate the focus point using the white outline. (P98 of manual)
With manual lenses, the magnification has to be switched on manually using the "OK" button.
So the K-01 is very limited for outdoor use with -M lenses