Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #1

m42/manual focus tips

Hi, I've installed the adapter and screwed on a asahi 1:8 55mm lens. Everything is in manual. Things seem to be normal, but the camera didn't ask me to input the focal length ie 55mm. When I press the green button, I guess the shutter is auto set meaning I'm in inside the house. Now on to the focusing. I can focus but I don't see an indicator telling me ie a beep or a screen indicator. I go by how clear the image looks through the viewfinder. This seems to be too much of a hit and miss approach for me. Is there a setting I should use?

the lens is in manual and so is the camera.

Thanks in advance,

12-03-2016, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #2

Which camera are you using
12-03-2016, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Look here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...-k-30-etc.html

Forum search feature works well.
12-03-2016, 02:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
sorry I assumed pentax 50

---------- Post added 12-03-16 at 02:44 PM ----------

I know there is a huge thread on the topic. Please disregard then

---------- Post added 12-03-16 at 02:51 PM ----------

I'm basically looking for focusing aids which the manual doesn't do in depth with. Or a tip, should I use live view? Because once the mount is on. I want to try out all he lens aka m42 no worries

12-03-2016, 03:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since the m42 lens does not have the aperture lever, you need to put turn the switch (on the lens) in manual mode. On the camera, you need to have the setting "allow use of aperture ring" and you also need to use Av mode (not M mode). With manual lens, you can only use center point for focusing. When the object is in focus, the focus confirmation will be lit (green hexagon) at the centre of the viewfinder.
12-03-2016, 03:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by enyaw Quote
Now on to the focusing. I can focus but I don't see an indicator telling me ie a beep or a screen indicator.
Not even if you press the autofocus button? That's what I have to do on my K-30 to get it to confirm focus.
12-03-2016, 03:29 PM   #7

If you have shake reduction turned off the camera will not prompt you for a focal length for manual focus lenses.

If you have the AF set to MF you should still get the focus confirmation indicator and beep (if enabled) but you can take an exposure without confirmation.

If you set to AF-S the shutter will release only when you have confirmation so you can use Catch-in-Focus if you like.

Manual focus is tricky because the lens does not lock on focus as a AF lens will do. Thus it is very easy to go past the in focus area as it takes only a very minute movement of either the camera or focus ring to change the confirmation. Also if you have the lens stopped down there may not be enough light for the system to detect focus (not enough contrast).

It takes a little practice to develop a very light touch on the focusing ring. Focus peaking in LiveView is always an alternative.

12-03-2016, 03:48 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
If you set to AF-S the shutter will release only when you have confirmation so you can use Catch-in-Focus if you like.
This is generally true for AF-S, AF "on" with K-mount lenses, but the OP is using a K-50 with adapted M42 55/1.8. IIRC, the K-50 is one of those models where catch-in-focus will not work with lenses having a non-conductive (painted or anodized) base. If my memory is wrong, please feel free to correct. (I don't have a K-50 at hand.)

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Focus peaking in LiveView is always an alternative.
I'm basically looking for focusing aids which the manual doesn't do in depth with. Or a tip, should I use live view?
Magnified live view (press-hold OK button) is the gold standard for manual focus accuracy, but works best when used on-tripod. I am not found of focus peaking (does not work well with some subjects), but to each his own. For more advanced users, an aftermarket focus screen with split-image/microprism focus aides is another option. They work well, but have trade-offs in terms of usability and the need to adjust screen calibration with shims.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-03-2016 at 03:56 PM.
12-03-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This is generally true for AF-S, AF "on" with K-mount lenses, but the OP is using a K-50 with adapted M42 55/1.8. IIRC, the K-50 is one of those models where catch-in-focus will not work with lenses having a non-conductive (painted or anodized) base. If my memory is wrong, please feel free to correct. (I don't have a K-50 at hand.)
That is the way of it with the K-30, so I would assume it is the same for the K-50. I had to put aluminum foil on my M42 lens to make catch-in focus work.
12-04-2016, 09:05 AM   #10

Original Poster
Hi thanks for the replies. I have the camera body in Manual focus mode. And the dial set to Manual mode. I use backbutton autofocus which doesn't matter because these are manual focus lens. And from what I read I should be in Av mode not manual? Shake reduction is off. I will check centre point focus

I'm not going to get into 'catch in focus' at this point maybe down the road

Last edited by enyaw; 12-04-2016 at 09:11 AM.
12-04-2016, 09:20 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Shake reduction is off.
Not needed unless you are on tripod. In that case, the easiest way to shut SR off and to also dampen mirror vibrations is to use the 2s delay or the self-timer.

Steve
12-04-2016, 09:25 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I'm not going to get into 'catch in focus' at this point maybe down the road
Some people find it useful, but as you have probably figured out, it is a special technique useful as a means to "trap" the subject at the moment focus is attained. The peril is that there is lag time during which the subject may move out of focus or, for when the user is actively moving the focus ring as the "trap", the ring may move past the right position before or actually during the exposure. The latter results in a frame where the bottom of the subject is potentially sharper than the top!

Steve
12-04-2016, 09:32 AM   #13

Original Poster
do i turn off auto iso? Sometimes I see a red square and then it disappears. I tried Av mode it's the same I don't see any focus comfirmation light or beep. Where would I find those? in the menu I mean. Thanks stevebrot I have to walk before I can run lolz

---------- Post added 12-04-16 at 09:41 AM ----------

Do I have to be using live view in order to get the beep and confirmation light? It's sets a shutter speed for me but I see F-----
12-04-2016, 09:53 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've always found the focus indicator on dSLRs isn't accurate enough to be useful. Since the 1960s I've always focused by judging the sharpness of the image in the viewfinder. However, the VF in dSLRs is dismal for judging sharpness with normal and wide lenses, even with the preferred aftermarket screen in my K-5. With 85mm and up it is passable, but in general I've given up manual lenses on my K-5 and gave it to my wife.
Instead I use my old Pentax manual lenses on a Sony A7. I find its EVF easier to manual focus than any dSLR, and I turn off all focus aids; just judge the sharpness.
Manual focus just isn't a priority on modern cameras.
12-04-2016, 10:10 AM   #15

Original Poster
thanks TomB_tx. I think I'll put in the effort. Part of photo skool kinda thing. It's just a hobby