Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #1

Need help making better pictures

Hello there, beginner here (have been for the last 10+ years... It's an on and off thing for me...).

I own a K100D and wanted to make pictures of some of my custom-made action figures to show them off, but almost all the pictures I took came out looking extremely blurry... I used a tripod, a black backdrop, the lense that came with the camera, the macro setting and multi-point AF. The latter seems to be defective on my camera though, the AF is ALWAYS centered no matter what. I don't think I've seen the multiple red dots showing up in the viewfinder in years...

Here are the results (the images are compressed but still the problem is apparent):

Name:  86897-1-583b357c83421.jpg
Views: 669
Size:  83.2 KB
Name:  86897-2-583b358777619.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  43.8 KB
Name:  86897-3-583b361db3a27.jpg
Views: 672
Size:  75.1 KB
Name:  86897-4-583b3628e21b3.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  60.7 KB
Name:  86898-1-583b38c261081.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  69.2 KB

What seems to be the issue. Maybe insufficient lighting? I dunno.

Last edited by photolady95; 12-05-2016 at 11:28 AM. Reason: removed personal link
12-05-2016, 10:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ob999 Quote
Hello there, beginner here (have been for the last 10+ years... It's an on and off thing for me...).

I own a K100D and wanted to make pictures of some of my custom-made action figures to show them off, but almost all the pictures I took came out looking extremely blurry... I used a tripod, a black backdrop, the lense that came with the camera, the macro setting and multi-point AF. The latter seems to be defective on my camera though, the AF is ALWAYS centered no matter what. I don't think I've seen the multiple red dots showing up in the viewfinder in years...

Here are the results (the images are compressed but still the problem is apparent):

Attachment 334577
Attachment 334578
Attachment 334579
Attachment 334580
Attachment 334584

What seems to be the issue. Maybe insufficient lighting? I dunno.
My guess is that you are too close to the figure. The lens has a minimum focusing distance and if you are closer than that, it won't focus probably. Try backing up a little, zooming in and then cropping on the computer later to make it look even closer.

Last edited by photolady95; 12-05-2016 at 11:29 AM. Reason: removed ops personal link
12-05-2016, 10:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, it seems like you're too close. I photograph miniatures and have chosen a lens which focuses very closely - not all do. You can check that on the review page, it will be in the stats. Which lens are you using?

Here's what I do - use Av mode, and set your f-stop to 8.0 or higher. Then use your 2-sec timer once you have focus lock. Stay still until the image is taken. Let the camera decide how long the exposure should be. And of course the light is important, but flashes unless well-diffused and off-camera or bounced are difficult.
12-05-2016, 10:33 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used a simple close focus filter (an old "jessops") with kit lenses with good (enough) results. Cheap, effective and easy - just screw it on to the front of the lens. There are also superior ones like raynox - see the reviews.
The other way to get closer focus with a lens is with an extension tube.
A lens I would recommend for this type of photography is a pentax 50mm f1.7. Easily acquired eg off ebay for $20-70, very sharp, already focuses pretty close and visual focus (it's manual focus but many or even most would recommend focusing manually in these circumstances) can be very precise because it's a "fast" lens (though I don't know what sort of live view you get on the K100D lcd - probably not up to much if at all - focusing with magnified live view is otherwise the recommended technique; and the standard focusing screen isn't optimised for lenses this fast).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-G1  Photo 

Last edited by marcusBMG; 12-05-2016 at 10:48 AM.
12-05-2016, 10:49 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Yes, it seems like you're too close. I photograph miniatures and have chosen a lens which focuses very closely - not all do. You can check that on the review page, it will be in the stats. Which lens are you using?

Here's what I do - use Av mode, and set your f-stop to 8.0 or higher. Then use your 2-sec timer once you have focus lock. Stay still until the image is taken. Let the camera decide how long the exposure should be. And of course the light is important, but flashes unless well-diffused and off-camera or bounced are difficult.
It's a Pentax 18-55mm. It's true that I may have been a bit too close. I'll try again following your instructions.

Any clue as to why my multi-point AF isn't working anymore though? I've tried fixing this for other purposes and I can't seem to do it.
12-05-2016, 10:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
I've used a simple close focus filter (an old "jessops") with kit lenses with good (enough) results. Cheap, effective and easy - just screw it on to the front of the lens. There are also superior ones like raynox - see the reviews.
The other way to get closer focus with a lens is with an extension tube.
A lens I would recommend for this type of photography is a pentax 50mm f1.7. Easily acquired eg off ebay for $20-70, very sharp, already focuses pretty close and visual focus (it's manual focus but many or even most would recommend focusing manually in these circumstances) can be very precise because it's a "fast" lens (though I don't know what sort of live view you get on the K100D lcd - probably not up to much if at all - focusing with magnified live view is otherwise the recommended technique; and the standard focusing screen isn't optimised for lenses this fast).
I actually had one of those filter at some point, not sure if I still do though, but thanks for reminding of them, i'll check it out.
12-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Too close might be a problem, but it could also be the lens is back focusing a bit. Are you getting focus confirmation before
you fire the shutter? Not sure if the 100D allows you to adjust front/back focus....

It also looks like you're using a rather wide aperture. Since you're on a tripod, set the camera to Av mode and chose a narrower
aperture, f8 at least. A little blur to the front and back is not a bad thing to help the figurine 'pop', but you should be able to get
the bulk of the figure in focus with a narrower aperture.

What is the scale of these figurines?

12-05-2016, 11:40 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Too close might be a problem, but it could also be the lens is back focusing a bit. Are you getting focus confirmation before
you fire the shutter? Not sure if the 100D allows you to adjust front/back focus....

It also looks like you're using a rather wide aperture. Since you're on a tripod, set the camera to Av mode and chose a narrower
aperture, f8 at least. A little blur to the front and back is not a bad thing to help the figurine 'pop', but you should be able to get
the bulk of the figure in focus with a narrower aperture.

What is the scale of these figurines?
Yes, I do get confirmation. And as stated before, it's always centered which is tad annoying. Oftentimes I have to focus on a certain point I want, hold the trigger then reframe the figure then let go. This might be causing blurring too.

The figures are of the 1:12 variety, so 6-7 inches tall.
12-05-2016, 11:50 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you're too close, the camera won't recognize any of the focus point. It may keep the center, though depending on mode. I don't know how much has changed since the K100, and if you're in trigger priority -you must be, I suppose, or it wouldn't expose at all if not in focus.
12-05-2016, 11:53 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Your technique's got to change, Ob999. This is not how you do that sort of product photography.

Tripod, 2s delay, f8-f11-f16, use live view magnified and manual focus. Review all the pics until you get exactly the right areas sharp.

Yes, you will need a lot of light/expose for a long time, but nothing's moving so this is easy.
12-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
use live view magnified
Don't think this is an option on the K100D, but maybe I'm wrong. The other advice is sound. If you really want to get close so you don't have to crop, look for an M50 macro lens. Not too expensive and will let you close-focus.
12-05-2016, 12:21 PM   #12
Pentaxian

First of all, great job on the figures. I also think your light shows of the detail. I would change the white balance.
With a tripod make sure you turn off shake. Also after checking my k100d, Macro seems to open the aperture before slowing the shutter. With a still subject and a still camera a long shutter isn't a drawback. Put the camera in manual set the aperture to f8, iso to 400 (seems best for k100d) and set shutter to the right exposure. Av mode won't slow the shutter down enough and make you use the flash or under expose. (I just tried it)

Other than that try manually refocusing both ways and see if one way is sharper than the other. You might have back or front focus problems or your focus point could be off alignment.
12-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Not sure if the 100D allows you to adjust front/back focus....
QuoteQuote:
live view...
It's a K100D, so no to either. If you have an off camera flash, you can use a 30 second exposure at f8 or f11 and pop the flash once or twice. It takes a little practice and dialing in the exposure, but can make nice lighting.
12-05-2016, 02:29 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Your images look sharp enough where they are in focus. This suggests several things, the depth of field is too narrow, the camera is selecting the incorrect focus point or the camera is selecting an appropriate point but the lens is back focusing. For this sort of work I would not trust any form of auto focus.

May I suggest using a DoF calculator such as here DoF Master

Use this to calculate where you should be focusing the lens. Manual focus about to about 1/3 for distance into the scene. Use a tape measure from the sensor plane on the camera, (marked with a circle with a line through it) to get accurate results.

Other principles already suggested are sound.

Tripod
2 second timer
Aperture at f8-f16
Diffused flash.
  • Off camera preferred.
  • Hot shoe flash with diffuser and swiveled into a reflector
  • The camera's built in flash is least desirable but can be used in a pinch if diffused or bounced off a reflector
Get back from the subject and crop to desired size.

Good luck and please keep us posted with your results
12-05-2016, 03:56 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll add a couple of things...
1. the "macro" range of the kit 18-55 can be quite bad, depending on the luck you have with your copy
2. I'd rely on manual focus

Maybe consider buying a cheap and good fifty...