Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Best way to 'screenshot' camera screen?

I've been thinking about writing some guides for how to do some things in the K-1, and I'm not sure what the best way to 'screenshot' the camera screen is. I do have an HDMI-to-microHDMI cable lying around, so I could theoretically get this plugged into my Mac and just use...Grab? Taking photos of the back of the camera screen is certainly the most direct way to do it, but I could imagine that looking really amateurish and more difficult to annotate.

12-06-2016, 08:02 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Unfortunately, unless you have a special video capture device, the HDMI coming out of the camera cannot go into the computer (the computer's HDMI is also output only).

What you might consider is a small P/S camera or cell phone mounted on a small stand or tripod. If you tape the stand down and tape down some knobs to the table up against the front of the K-1, you can have a fairly stable and repeatable setup that always shows the screen of the K-1.

(P.S. A crazy person would set up a bunch of mirrors so the K-1 could see it's own back side!)
12-06-2016, 08:14 PM   #3
Veteran Member

If you can get the screens onto your Mac then grabbing a screenshot should be easy, failing that a photo of the camera may have to be used.

Several years ago I worked as a Technical Writer/Technical Illustrator for companies that manufactured equipment used in the production of motor vehicles (conveyor systems and specific operation stations mostly). Whenever control panel screens were involved I used to try to get the programming/systems engineers to give me screen grabs from their programming applications for use in the operator and maintenance manuals. They normally could get those easily and with a bit of tweaking I could get them into the desktop publishing software I used. I remember one particular project where this turned out to be impossible as the ladder logic software they were using to program the system had no facility for grabbing screenshots and they didn't have a screen grab application on their laptops (this was back in the days of the 486 computer) and the usual 'Print Screen' key just turned out low res garbage I couldn't use. I had to resort to drawing every single screen in Adobe Illustrator and there were literally dozens of them! To make matters worse the software was still under development while I was trying to write the manual and as fast as I drew the screens and then sent them screen grabs for confirmation/approval they were sending changes they had made. This was going on daily for several weeks. I couldn't wait until they had finished as the equipment was due to leave as soon as they were done and the manuals had to ship with the equipment! It was a nightmare I tell ya!

Good luck with your project and I hope you find a successful method.
12-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Isn't that something that would be "easy" to implement in-camera via firmware?
I take screen shots of my Pentax cameras using my Fuji X-E2, or any other camera for that matter would work, as long as it is stable and with good IQ.

12-06-2016, 09:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HDMI input isn't standard on most computers, but maybe your Mac is an exception?

A device like this might work?

Amazon.com: AGPtek® HD Game Capture HD

There are dozens of variants, this seems to be about the lowest in price. Search for video game capture devices (xbox, playstation, etc), because the only thing better than playing video games is being able to share footage of you playing video games with the world, so there is apparently a demand.

Here's a blog of someone who uses such a device for this purpose: How to capture great looking camera LCD screenshots
12-06-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
HDMI input isn't standard on most computers, but maybe your Mac is an exception?

A device like this might work?

Amazon.com: AGPtek® HD Game Capture HD

There are dozens of variants, this seems to be about the lowest in price. Search for video game capture devices (xbox, playstation, etc), because the only thing better than playing video games is being able to share footage of you playing video games with the world, so there is apparently a demand.

Here's a blog of someone who uses such a device for this purpose: How to capture great looking camera LCD screenshots
Ah, no, it's just an HDMI out. Thanks for the article! I was able to find the same capture card on eBay and picked it up for $60 after shipping. Not bad.
12-07-2016, 07:10 AM   #7

You need an HDMI capture card, converter box or USB dongle like this:

Magewell XI100DUSB HDMI USB 3.0 Capture Dongle 32011 B&H Photo

12-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
You need an HDMI capture card, converter box or USB dongle like this:

Magewell XI100DUSB HDMI USB 3.0 Capture Dongle 32011 B&H Photo
Are you saying I bought the wrong thing? It's a Black Magic Design Intense Extreme.