Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

how to clean film

Hi

I like my local lab, but sometimes it seems they develop film on their lunch break. I think they sneeze on it with their mouths full - that's the only way I can explain a bunch of hard greasy deposits that are sometimes found on the film when I get it back. I often try to edit them out it post processing, but then I got tired doing that and tried to clean them away using a lens cloth and some of that solution for cleaning lenses. Not sure if that's the best approach. Should I just use water? The problem is that I only discover those spots when I want to scan the film, and at that point I am too lazy to wash it and hang it to dry... Just want to scan and see the results. But if water is the only way, I guess I have to do it... Do you have any suggestions?

12-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Film Cleaning Supplies | B&H Photo Video

Cleaning Supplies | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
12-08-2016, 12:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

When I use to do all of the lab stuff before the turn of the century (80's) it seems to me that one of the rinses for B & W film especially there was a anti- streak solution added to the final rinse to do away with any streaks or white deposits when drying. I can't remember the name unfortunately. But it doesn't sound like your Processor is using it either. Something like you use in today's dishwashers to eliminate glass streaks and deposits.
12-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #4
Pentaxian

When I did my own dev, I used Calgon and distilled water as a final rinse - used at half the recommended dilution, and re-used until results not acceptable.

Tony

12-08-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey IgorZ, I think I know which lab you're talking about (starts with a G?) You should talk to them about it, the whole thing about sending your prints to a lab is that they're supposed to come back neat!
12-08-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You never know when you may need DNA samples, but on your film is just bad form. Yes, the safest method would be to re-wash the film and then soak it in Kodak Photo Flo 200
Kodak Photo Flo 200 - 16 oz. | Freestyle Photographic Supplies.
or any type of wetting agent
Edwal LFN Wetting Agent - 0.75 oz. | Freestyle Photographic Supplies.
then squeegee and dry.

If George sneezed industrial strength Canola oil onto your film, then you may need a more powerful solution such as PEC-12 Photographic Emulsion Cleaner
PEC-12 Photographic Emulsion Cleaner 2 oz. Bottle with Dropper Tip | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
with some type of non-abrasive lintless cloth.
PEC PAD 4 in. x 4 in. Sheets - 100 Pack | Freestyle Photographic Supplies
12-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Foto Flo & wetting agent that's it! Now I can go to Bed

12-08-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
Forum Member

I remember the dim and distant past oh so well, The trick is a clean cotton cloth and cigarette lighter fluid, this drys away without any stains or marks.
12-08-2016, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #9
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
then squeegee and dry.
I used to sqeegee after Photo-Flo until I noticed scratches on my film from the squeegee tongs. Stopped the squeegeeing years ago. The correct dilution of Phot-Flo (2-3 drops/litre) doesn't require the use of a squeegee; the film drys without drying marks.
12-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #10
Forum Member

When I use to do my own B&W processing, once I had the film developed and washed, I'd run it through a wetting agent before hanging it up to dry. I cannot remember what the name of it ways. It might have been Photo-Flo, or some other brand. Worked every time.
12-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a frame you don't care about too much, try some rubbing alcohol, possibly diluted with distilled (important!) water. You're in town, if you want some ilford wetting agent, I could give you some.
12-09-2016, 04:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
I used to sqeegee after Photo-Flo until I noticed scratches on my film from the squeegee tongs. Stopped the squeegeeing years ago. The correct dilution of Phot-Flo (2-3 drops/litre) doesn't require the use of a squeegee; the film drys without drying marks.
Certainly a damaged squeegee or non-filtered wash water can scratch film. I use a water filter for my wash and always check the squeegee for cracks or any signs of wear. Silicone is a bit more durable than rubber, but I always keep a spare handy to replace one that isn't smooth to the touch.

Paterson Film Squeegee | Freestyle Photographic Supplies

I have had water spots/streaks with correct wetting agent dilution but no squeegee, possibly because of the mineral content in the water that most filters can't eliminate entirely.
12-10-2016, 11:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Hey IgorZ, I think I know which lab you're talking about (starts with a G?) You should talk to them about it, the whole thing about sending your prints to a lab is that they're supposed to come back neat!
Yep, that's the one... I never had any problems with color, but B&W sometimes comes out dirty...

---------- Post added 12-10-16 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
On a frame you don't care about too much, try some rubbing alcohol, possibly diluted with distilled (important!) water. You're in town, if you want some ilford wetting agent, I could give you some.
Thanks for the offer! Very nice of you. I might take you up on that

---------- Post added 12-10-16 at 11:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sadatoni Quote
When I use to do my own B&W processing, once I had the film developed and washed, I'd run it through a wetting agent before hanging it up to dry. I cannot remember what the name of it ways. It might have been Photo-Flo, or some other brand. Worked every time.
Thank you for the suggestion. Just hope Amazon has it... My patience is not what it should be... Other places might take a while to deliver

---------- Post added 12-10-16 at 11:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
Foto Flo & wetting agent that's it! Now I can go to Bed
Thanks!

---------- Post added 12-10-16 at 11:24 AM ----------

Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I will try to get some of these supplies and give it a try. Something tells me that it might take me down the road to developing my own B&W film...
12-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
Something tells me that it might take me down the road to developing my own B&W film...

If you ever get the bug to do you own film & prints I got the whole kit for you Cheap somewhere around a $1.00. I don't want to take it to the dump and if some one picked it up its yours if you are serious. Every thing From film Canisters to a Super Chromega D Enlarger (Beautiful B & W Prints) up to 24 X 36 B & W trays 20 X 24 Colour tubes , analysers etc the whole 9 yards. All or nothing.
12-10-2016, 02:44 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
If you ever get the bug to do you own film & prints I got the whole kit for you Cheap somewhere around a $1.00. I don't want to take it to the dump and if some one picked it up its yours if you are serious. Every thing From film Canisters to a Super Chromega D Enlarger (Beautiful B & W Prints) up to 24 X 36 B & W trays 20 X 24 Colour tubes , analysers etc the whole 9 yards. All or nothing.
Thank you for the offer. This is so tempting! I haven't done any dark room stuff since I was probably 15, so I'd have some catching up to do... Where are you located?