Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #1

K-70, moto x pure, ricoh image sync won't connect

Hopefully you guys can help.
I'm very computer literate, but for the life of me can't get ricoh image sync, my phone, and my K-70 to connect. Image sync just hangs on the splash screen. I'll give you the details I have so far:
Moto X Pure running android 6.0
K-70 latest firmware.
Ricoh Image sync for android 1.1.2 from android play store.
Installed fine. Started camera in auto mode, selected wifi from the menu, turned it on and copied the name and password.
Went to wifi on my phone and connected to Pentax and entered password. Connection established.
Started image sync, and it won't get past the splash screen.
Things I have tried:
Turned nfc off on phone
Uninstalled and reinstalled image sync (several times)
Verified lens was not set to manual.
Verified shooting mode on camera was set to single.
Forced stopped the app and restarted.
Waiting a really long time.
So I'm sort of out of ideas and was hoping someone here might shed some light on it. I try not to bother until I've researched and tried everything I could, so here I am.
Thanks,
Roger

12-08-2016, 09:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Bullwhip,

IIRC, there was another member who had trouble with an X that was confirmed by Motorola. They said something about an Android update (that they hadn't written) that would be needed for that phone.
12-09-2016, 09:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks Clackers. I can't seem to find that thread for more info. Odd that my phone connects with everything else just fine, just not image sync. I can see the phone and camera connect (the wireless icon on the camera turns solid when I connect my phone to the pentax "network"), but the program (app) itself won't load past the splash screen.
Any other info that might get this app working would be appreciated.
Thanks.

---------- Post added 12-09-2016 at 12:15 PM ----------

woo-hoo, I fixed it.
I went to settings.
Select "apps".
Select the settings gear icon at the top right of the screen. (Do NOT select image sync at this time, just tap the gear)
Select "modify system settings".
Tap "image sync"
Tap "allow modify system settings"

That's it, works fine now.
Hopefully this may help some else that has this problem
Cheers,
Roger
09-24-2018, 12:24 PM   #4

I too have a K70. WiFi connectivity was one reason I chose it. Image sync worked okay for a couple of months, then didn't. I thought it was because I was using a different network. It asked for for my password, which I did not have with me. Now back at home I still have problems. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. It just repeatedly asks for my password but does not connect. WiFi connectivity for my Lumix works fine. It's annoying that the Pentax one doesn't. I'd have bought a cheaper camera if I'd known it was going to be unreliable.

09-25-2018, 11:33 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Marsland Quote
I too have a K70. WiFi connectivity was one reason I chose it. Image sync worked okay for a couple of months, then didn't. I thought it was because I was using a different network. It asked for for my password, which I did not have with me. Now back at home I still have problems. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. It just repeatedly asks for my password but does not connect. WiFi connectivity for my Lumix works fine. It's annoying that the Pentax one doesn't. I'd have bought a cheaper camera if I'd known it was going to be unreliable.
Image sync worked okay for a couple of months, then didn't.
Yep, Pentax released a new update on their image sync app on September 5th, 2018. They beefed it pretty good . You'll have to download an older .APK file of image sync and manually reinstall onto your moto X. Once that's done, you just need to stop the app from automatically updating until they fix the dang thing. You can read the how to in more depth here.
I've linked to the old version on the .APK file, but this isn't downloaded directly from Ricoh/Pentax. When I scanned it on my PC and installed it onto my phone, it was clean. But, as with anything you download off the internet, do your due diligence and scan it for viruses before opening it up or installing it on your phone.

It asked for for my password, which I did not have with me.
Your Password is specific to your Pentax camera. You can check it from your K70's by opening up the menu. On my K-1, the Wifi name and password info is found on tab 2 of the C (the little wrench) menu with the three little wifi lines as its symbol.

I thought it was because I was using a different network.
Just remember, it is the camera itself that is transmitting the wifi signal, not just passively receiving it from another network. You can use Wifi anywhere on earth with your camera! No other networks required to transfer to your mobile devices or use your mobile device as a remote control / live view screen.