Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2016, 09:15 PM   #1

Pentax K 3 ii, weird VIdeo Background Audio

My K 3 ii just arrived from B&H last week thursday, and I've finally had the time to really use it and test it out. However, I've noticed the audio records a really weird in camera sound, and I'm not sure if this is normal. I've linked a video below with some footage in a nearly silent room with just my voice at the end. Should I send the camera back or is this normal sound? I've also compared to my old k 30, which has a static background sound, but nothing like what I'm hearing on the K 3 ii. I've already updated the firmware and done a reset, as well as tried different lenses.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

(headphone recommended)

12-10-2016, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A certain amount of noise is expected with the built-in microphone when there is no signal (i.e. quiet room) with the gain on auto. To avoid, manually set to a lower gain or turn the microphone off.

Steve
12-11-2016, 11:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marcus_H Quote
My K 3 ii just arrived from B&H last week thursday, and I've finally had the time to really use it and test it out. However, I've noticed the audio records a really weird in camera sound, and I'm not sure if this is normal. I've linked a video below with some footage in a nearly silent room with just my voice at the end. Should I send the camera back or is this normal sound? I've also compared to my old k 30, which has a static background sound, but nothing like what I'm hearing on the K 3 ii. I've already updated the firmware and done a reset, as well as tried different lenses.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Pentax K 3 ii Audio Problem - YouTube
(headphone recommended)
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
A certain amount of noise is expected with the built-in microphone when there is no signal (i.e. quiet room) with the gain on auto. To avoid, manually set to a lower gain or turn the microphone off.

Steve
That's not noise but ambient sound! Follow Steve's advice!
12-15-2016, 11:23 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RuiC Quote
That's not noise but ambient sound! Follow Steve's advice!
The sound that you hear is definitely from the camera itself, not ambient noise from the room. I've done a couple other tests with changing the mic gain from auto to lower levels, and while it does reduce that weird sound, it definitely is still noticeable and also the sounds I am trying to record are too quiet.

So I'm seriously considering sending it back to B&H for a new body.

12-15-2016, 11:53 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't rely on the built-in microphone. Use a external one!
12-17-2016, 03:55 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So I'm seriously considering sending it back to B&H for a new body.
You will not see any difference in the replacement. As noted above, for better results use an external microphone, monitor your levels, and adjust as needed. For best results use an external sound recorder and patch in during the editing process (how professionals do it).

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-17-2016 at 04:04 PM.
12-18-2016, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #7

Original Poster
I just ordered an external mic. Thanks for the help guys.

12-18-2016, 12:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just ordered an external mic. Thanks for the help guys.
Congratulations! There are lots of choices and there are differences in quality as with everything. But having a external mic should improve the sound on your video a lot.