Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #1

K1 locked in Manual Mode

Greetings All,

I have a K1 that I have owned since April that has worked properly until recently. For the last month, the camera won't go into auto ISO when shooting in TAv. Today while reading the instruction manual I noticed it said to press the ISO button on top of the camera, then press the green button above the four way to put it in auto-focus. After doing this, the camera went into manual mode and i can"t get it out no matter which switches i move. I have also removed the battery several times. Has anybody had this same issue? I have updated to the most recent firmware.

Thank you,
Charlie

12-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you confusing auto-iso with auto-focus? What do you mean by manual mode?

By definition, TAv is auto-iso. If you set both aperture and shutter speed, it's the only thing left for the camera to adjust to get the right exposure. There is no way, on my K-1, to manually select or adjust ISO while in TAv mode.
12-11-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wildhorsecharlie Quote
Greetings All,

I have a K1 that I have owned since April that has worked properly until recently. For the last month, the camera won't go into auto ISO when shooting in TAv. Today while reading the instruction manual I noticed it said to press the ISO button on top of the camera, then press the green button above the four way to put it in auto-focus. After doing this, the camera went into manual mode and i can"t get it out no matter which switches i move. I have also removed the battery several times. Has anybody had this same issue? I have updated to the most recent firmware.

Thank you,
Charlie
Did your mode dial break? Could be completely unrelated to the settings you tried to change.

Are you able to access your user modes?

But yes, auto ISO is on by default in TAv mode, by definition.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2016, 09:54 AM   #4
Forum Member

Are you able to switch the modes via the mode dial? If not, you are experiencing a known failure in the K-1. I experienced this with my K-1, only mode available was Manual mode, nothing else regardless of where I moved the dial.

12-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you both for responding. As I stated, for the past 4 to five weeks, the camera would not go to auto ISO when in TAv. I would have to adjust ISO manually. Like it was set to manual by the knob, which I could do. It wasn't until yesterday that the camera locked into manual mode, (as if I did it by setting dial to M). No matter what position i turn the dial to, the camera stays in manual. This happened when I pressed the ISO button on top of the camera, released it, then pushed the green button above the four way selector switch on the back panel. It may well be that I have two or more problems.

It looks like I might have to send it in for repairs. Should I go through the store I bought it from, or would it be quicker to send it straight to the repair center myself?

Once again, thank you for your assistance. It is greatly appreciated.

Charlie
12-12-2016, 12:59 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you both for responding. As I stated, for the past 4 to five weeks, the camera would not go to auto ISO when in TAv. I would have to adjust ISO manually. Like it was set to manual by the knob, which I could do. It wasn't until yesterday that the camera locked into manual mode, (as if I did it by setting dial to M). No matter what position i turn the dial to, the camera stays in manual. This happened when I pressed the ISO button on top of the camera, released it, then pushed the green button above the four way selector switch on the back panel. It may well be that I have two or more problems.

It looks like I might have to send it in for repairs. Should I go through the store I bought it from, or would it be quicker to send it straight to the repair center myself?

Charlie
Sounds like the mode dial is shot. Send the camera in for service and they should be able to fix it under warranty.

As for the green button and ISO button combo, it will ONLY put you in auto ISO in P, Tv or Av mode. Auto ISO is not possible in M mode on flagship bodies, since this is the same as TAv, and TAv is on the mode dial

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-13-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
Forum Member

Charlie
I still had mine under warranty, so I went directly through the store. Possibly contacting Precision Camera Repair about the most expeditious way to get the camera repaired. It took mine about a month and a half to come because the parts were on back order.
10-08-2017, 06:13 PM - 1 Like   #8

I just had the same problem. The K1 was locked in manual mode and would not go back to any other mode except user modes. I tried pulling the battery and a few other things to no avail. Finally, I went into the menu and tried “reset’ and now it works again.