Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2016, 11:54 AM   #1

Pentax 67 blank roll

Hey all!

Hoping to gain some insight. I have a Pentax 6x7 non MLU and have enjoyed multiple rolls with other lenses. I recently received the 90mm f2.8 and have put two rolls thru only to find them blank after development. I am someone who makes mistakes but have done the same process with the other lenses. I appreciate any and all feedback!

Thanks!

---------- Post added 12-12-16 at 12:37 PM ----------

It is a LF version 90mm f2.8

QuoteOriginally posted by cnoll7 Quote
Hey all!

Hoping to gain some insight. I have a Pentax 6x7 non MLU and have enjoyed multiple rolls with other lenses. I recently received the 90mm f2.8 and have put two rolls thru only to find them blank after development. I am someone who makes mistakes but have done the same process with the other lenses. I appreciate any and all feedback!

Thanks!

12-12-2016, 04:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm not familiar with this camera, nor do I know what kind of film it takes but one thing that comes to my mind--and a problem I sometimes had with an old twin lens reflex camera I had that used 220 roll film was that the leader end of the film wouldn't catch on the take-up spool. I'd know it immediately because the film would be on the wrong side.
12-12-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I'm not familiar with this camera, nor do I know what kind of film it takes but one thing that comes to my mind--and a problem I sometimes had with an old twin lens reflex camera I had that used 220 roll film was that the leader end of the film wouldn't catch on the take-up spool. I'd know it immediately because the film would be on the wrong side.
Interesting thought.

OP: Did you self develop the negatives? If so can you see any difference between the leader and the rest of the film?
12-12-2016, 10:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you are using the leaf shutter of the leaf shutter lens you must set the shutter speed on the body to 1/8 sec. Remember to re-cock the shutter after winding. If you use a higher shutter speed on the focal plane shutter the focal plane shutter closes before the leaf shutter opens causing no exposure.

12-12-2016, 11:01 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
In addition to what pentaxus has suggested, take a look at the underside of the lens. There should be a switch with 2 settings: "U" & "S". If you're using the leaf shutter, it is absolutely essential that this switch be set to "U" (for "Usual") unless you're using the unmarked "Special" setting on the body.

The "S" setting is for multiple exposures & low vibration shots. If it's set to that, then the lens shutter immediately closes when the camera's shutter opens, and doesn't re-open unless either triggered by the cable release or by the camera's shutter closing. If your camera isn't set to the right setting, this will result in blank frames.

I've accidentally knocked the switch off the U position in the past and received back an entire roll that was blank. And doing so seems to have been a thing; I've encountered second-hand copies of the lens that had the switch quite literally glued into the "U" position.

(Lens manual is here, which also covers some other scenarios like flash & using it with extension tubes or the bellows: http://pentax67.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/SMCT-6X7_90LS.pdf )

Last edited by g026r; 12-12-2016 at 11:10 PM.
12-13-2016, 12:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by g026r Quote
In addition to what pentaxus has suggested, take a look at the underside of the lens. There should be a switch with 2 settings: "U" & "S". If you're using the leaf shutter, it is absolutely essential that this switch be set to "U" (for "Usual") unless you're using the unmarked "Special" setting on the body.

The "S" setting is for multiple exposures & low vibration shots. If it's set to that, then the lens shutter immediately closes when the camera's shutter opens, and doesn't re-open unless either triggered by the cable release or by the camera's shutter closing. If your camera isn't set to the right setting, this will result in blank frames.

I've accidentally knocked the switch off the U position in the past and received back an entire roll that was blank. And doing so seems to have been a thing; I've encountered second-hand copies of the lens that had the switch quite literally glued into the "U" position.

(Lens manual is here, which also covers some other scenarios like flash & using it with extension tubes or the bellows: http://pentax67.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/SMCT-6X7_90LS.pdf )

Thanks everybody for the reponses. I have a feeling during these two rolls that it was set to the S setting on the lens. I know that because it was exactly on that when I checked. I'll shoot another roll with it on the correct U setting. Geez I feel dumb. Thank you thank you so much!
12-13-2016, 02:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's one of those things that isn't immediately obvious as to what it's for, or what it should be set to.

I'm thinking the switch wasn't popular/was more trouble than it was worth, as the other LS lens doesn't have it and the required shutter setting for it disappeared from the 67II.
09-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #8

Sorry for being an old thread back (I know people seem to hate that), but I had a specific question about this.

I have two rolls of blank film. Thinking I just need to send the camera in for service. But I ran across this and Iím curious.

Iím using the 90mm LS only. I can only see an S. I canít switch it to anything else. Is it supposed to show the S while in normal use? I just switched it back and forth from manual to auto but idk which one I was shooting on this whole time. 😔