Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

Trying to accommodate a disabled photographer

Hey Folks,

I have a friend who, like me, is an avid Pentax shooter. Unfortunately, she experienced several massive strokes that have impaired language and mobility. She has lost the use of her right arm and when she walks, she must use a cane with her left arm. She would like to return to going out shooting and we're exploring ways to help her do that.

At her disposal, she has a Pentax K-S2, Q w/ 02 zoom, and a bevy of K & M body film SLRs. For now, we're thinking of starting off with the Q. We're thinking of mounting it on a pistol grip or flash bracket and having the remote control F (wireless) mounted to the grip so that she can hold and shoot at the same time.

Do you all anticipate any problems with this setup? My main concern is how well she will be able to trip the shutter. Anyone used the remote control F? Can it be used from behind the camera?

Another thought is to get a clamp with a flexible arm that can be mounted to the arm of her wheelchair. Has anyone tried something like this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

12-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the q support a wired remote?

What about a light monopod vs a pistol grip?
12-12-2016, 12:46 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The K-S2 only has a single IR port in the front, but I believe you can use a cable release with it if needed. It can also be triggered via Wi-Fi with the Image Sync app.

Regardless, I'd recommend a camera that can be operated with a single hand. Something like the Sony RX100, Theta, GR, or any bridge camera should do nicely. Otherwise, zooming may prove to be harder than it needs to be.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2016, 12:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

The Q supports the Remote Control F but it must be 5 cm from the back of the camera.

She will be in a wheelchair while shooting. It's too much to ask her to balance and shoot using a monopod.

12-12-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote

+1 on the above as most wireless remotes need to be in front of the camera not behind it.

A Gorilla pod style mount might work on the arm of the chair. They are flexible enough to allow getting the shot yet rigid enough to prevent camera shake.
12-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-S2 only has a single IR port in the front, but I believe you can use a cable release with it if needed. It can also be triggered via Wi-Fi with the Image Sync app.

Regardless, I'd recommend a camera that can be operated with a single hand. Something like the Sony RX100, Theta, GR, or any bridge camera should do nicely. Otherwise, zooming may prove to be harder than it needs to be.
Hey Adam,

I haven't been able to get confirmation that the K-S2 can use a cable release. If it did, that would be awesome!

Most of the cameras you listed have the shutter release on the right side of the camera. She cannot use her right arm so triggering the shutter will be a challenge. I've been looking at articulating arms that can mount to her wheelchair. Having the camera stabilized will help her use her left hand to zoom and trip the shutter.

Thanks!
12-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Let me double check. I know the K-70 can through the mic port, with a new type of cable.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-12-2016, 01:17 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mdintx Quote
The Q supports the Remote Control F but it must be 5 cm from the back of the camera.

She will be in a wheelchair while shooting. It's too much to ask her to balance and shoot using a monopod.

I would think some articulating mount attached to the chair like the Gorilla pod mentioned would be another way to go. Something that can hold the position and allow her to take her hands off the camera to manipulate the lens or push an awkwardly placed button while holding the basic orientation. In that case a remote control dongle could be tethered to the articulating mount so that after positioning it she could trigger it.

But pistol grip may well work. Ideally you would want to modify the remote control to have a remotely wired button trigger on the pistol grip to replace the built in button. Some of the pistol grips offer a 2.5mm cable release which might provide the same type of function as the existing button if you wired it to the remote in place of the existing button and positioned the remote on the back of the camera.

12-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hey Adam,

I haven't been able to get confirmation that the K-S2 can use a cable release. If it did, that would be awesome!

Most of the cameras you listed have the shutter release on the right side of the camera. She cannot use her right arm so triggering the shutter will be a challenge. I've been looking at articulating arms that can mount to her wheelchair. Having the camera stabilized will help her use her left hand to zoom and trip the shutter.

Thanks!
You're right, there's no cable release for the K-S2 because it has Wi-Fi. The K-50 and K-70 do have it.

Adam

12-12-2016, 01:29 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Something like this appears to have a 1/4" mount:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Cotytech-Wheelchair-Mount-for-iPad-and-Tablet-SL-...&wl13=&veh=sem

No reviews yet - hard to know if it is high quality or junk.

---------- Post added 12-12-16 at 03:32 PM ----------

This site owner might have ideas:
Assistive Technology -Tablet (iPad) Mounts
12-12-2016, 01:47 PM   #11
Pentaxian

We're thinking of mounting it on a pistol grip or flash bracket and having the remote control F (wireless) mounted to the grip so that she can hold and shoot at the same time.
I believe the Remote F is IR and has to have line of site to the receptor on the camera to work.
12-12-2016, 02:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mdintx:
...She has lost the use of her right arm and when she walks, she must use a cane with her left arm...
QuoteQuote:
...She will be in a wheelchair while shooting. It's too much to ask her to balance and shoot using a monopod...
Is she working with a physical or occupational therapist? Speak with them for suggestions.

It might be possible to shoot while using the cane. Mount a small camera on the cane or strapped to an arm with a remote button worked into the handle of the cane. Composition will be unique but this might work for a style similar to shoot from the hip street photography. (Consult her therapist to make sure that the camera contraption doesn't increase the risk of falling)

A wheelchair mount as suggested by others opens new low-light opportunities. Wheelchairs can go some places that ban tripods.

Look here Home-DPS | The Disabled Photographers' Society. They are in the UK and I think you're in the US but you may still be able to find helpful info.
12-12-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think I would go with a trek pole that also has a camera mount like the one below. This should be light and will support body weight better than a mono pod.

Mountainsmith Trekker FX 7075 Monopod/Walking Staff - Single - REI.com
Attached Images

12-12-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
Pentaxian

This might not be helpful, but as the wired remote control merely requires a contact between two wires, would it not be possible for some electronics whizz-kid to create something that could be operated by some form of switch held in the mouth, or mounted on a frame in front of the lady's mouth, for use when required - bit like Bob Dylan's mouth organ ?

Just a thought - best of luck to the lady, however the problem is overcome (and it will be).

Look forward to seeing the results of her photoshoots posted here !

Tony
12-12-2016, 02:41 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
This might not be helpful, but as the wired remote control merely requires a contact between two wires, would it not be possible for some electronics whizz-kid to create something that could be operated by some form of switch held in the mouth, or mounted on a frame in front of the lady's mouth, for use when required - bit like Bob Dylan's mouth organ ?

Just a thought - best of luck to the lady, however the problem is overcome (and it will be).

Look forward to seeing the results of her photoshoots posted here !

Tony
I was thinking along those lines, but can the camera be mounted on a pistol grip ball head monopod? I think it would be easy (for someone who has a little skill with electronics) to desolder the LED of an IR remote, add a few inches of wire and then the LED could be velcroed near the camera's remote sensor while the trigger button could be velcroed to the pistol grip handle in such a way that the shutter release button could be activated with the user's thumb or finger while holding the pistol grip.