Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2016, 07:04 PM   #1

Converters from Nikon or Canon to Pentax mount

I know they make converters from a Nikon or Canon Lens that will fit a Pentax mount. I was wondering what people thought of them? Any down grading of the photograph loss of mm , f stop or anything else?

12-12-2016, 07:06 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They act as teleconverters, so there's a loss in image quality sadly. Generally speaking, therefore, those lenses can't be reliably used.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2016, 07:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/22-pentax-camera-field-accessories/96884-...sions-lba.html
12-12-2016, 08:16 PM   #4

I know price is not always an indicator of quality. But I've never seen any "high-end" adapters to Pentax K mount. My basis for pricing is simply the going rate for know good quality teleconverters ~$100-$400+. I've only ever seen ~$30-40 Nikon lens to Pentax body converters. So my feeling is the glass quality of the elements is pretty low.

If you are into cross platform lens experimentation without any alteration of image quality you need lenses with a longer registration distance than the camera. So medium format lenses can be plugged into most APS or 35mm sensor DSLRs by simple tube adapters having no glass. You just crop the image circle.

Canon is the only DSLR platform where you can (sort of) easily adapt other SLR lenses without intervening elements because Canon's sensor to mount registration distance is the shortest of any maker.

MIrrorless offers lots of possible adaptations of 35mm lenses because all mirrorless bodies have a much shorter registration than the DSLR bodies.

12-12-2016, 08:35 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pre-ai lenses will fit the Pentax k mount without an adapter. Fitting the lens is a bit less secure (partial turn maybe 1/4 turn, not locked). Some rear guards or odd lenses could interfere be careful when trying this.

Alternately look up the adaptist mount replacement part. That permits a number of lens types to fit the k mount without optics.
12-12-2016, 09:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Dumb question: is the K-01 any more adaptable, since it's a mirrorless camera, or is it the same because it maintains mount compatibility with the K-mount?
12-12-2016, 09:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
Canon is the only DSLR platform where you can (sort of) easily adapt other SLR lenses without intervening elements because Canon's sensor to mount registration distance is the shortest of any maker.
And because their mount's throat is so wide, at 54mm in diameter. If flange focal distance was the only consideration, you'd think Sigma SA-mount having just as short a flange focal distance as Canon EF would have lots of adapters (and let's face it, they need it a lot more than Canon). But they don't, because their bayonet is mechanically the same as Pentax K, so the diameter is only 44mm -- not really wide enough to adapt anything except M42. (Source: here.)

Consider also Sony/Minolta Alpha-mount (FFD = 44.5mm, diameter = 49.7mm). The FFD difference between A-mount and, say, Olympus OM or Contax/Yashica is 1.5mm, roughly the same as the difference between Canon EF and Pentax K, for which glassless adapters do exist. Yet the only OM-or-C/Y-to-A adapters out there have glass. Heck, even with Leica R, with a full 2.5mm longer FFD than A-mount, you need to buy a mount replacement kit rather than a simple adapter.

12-12-2016, 09:39 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Dumb question: is the K-01 any more adaptable, since it's a mirrorless camera, or is it the same because it maintains mount compatibility with the K-mount?
The same as any k mount camera.

---------- Post added 12-12-16 at 11:41 PM ----------

Canon lengthened their mount rendering all their old glass unusable which is why the FD FL and FDn glass took off on early mirror less offerings.
12-13-2016, 03:05 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you all

I just wanted to thank you all for being so quick on this subject.
12-13-2016, 06:48 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep...all good advice. Sitting here negotiating a return of a K mount to Nikon F adapter to an ebay supplier right now. It fits on the Nikon just fine....but the Pentax lenses either will not fit at all or do not lock in position, turning around in the mount at will. So its going back. B&H have one that seems to get reasonable reviews, so if I get my money back I will check that out.
12-14-2016, 07:44 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Yep...all good advice. Sitting here negotiating a return of a K mount to Nikon F adapter to an ebay supplier right now. It fits on the Nikon just fine....but the Pentax lenses either will not fit at all or do not lock in position, turning around in the mount at will. So its going back. B&H have one that seems to get reasonable reviews, so if I get my money back I will check that out.
Glass type (teleconverter) adapter?
12-14-2016, 05:41 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Glass type (teleconverter) adapter?
It would have to be. Nikon has a longer FFD than Pentax...really everybody except Leica R...
12-15-2016, 01:01 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It would have to be. Nikon has a longer FFD than Pentax...really everybody except Leica R...
Not really. I have a friend who has a glassless one he used only for macro takumar. Granted it is quite a limited use option.
12-15-2016, 08:50 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Not really. I have a friend who has a glassless one he used only for macro takumar. Granted it is quite a limited use option.
My Canon FD adapter becomes a glassless adapter just by unscrewing the glass...
12-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
My Canon FD adapter becomes a glassless adapter just by unscrewing the glass...
I had seen some of these myself - my friends adapter was without glass from ebay but could have started life with glass I guess...