Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2016, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-70 cold weather rating

The K-70 has a published rating of -10C. So if I take the camera out and it's below that temperature, what will happen? Simply slower operation? What was the key difference that Ricoh used in choosing that number to publish - I mean, what behaves differently at -11C versus -10C that made Ricoh say "no, we can't specify the camera can be used at -11C"?

12-14-2016, 05:21 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Thank you for your post. Good question. I will forward your question to our management team for an answer. Thank you for being a valued customer.
12-22-2016, 09:15 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So, what did the management team say?

I see this response from you to many of the questions posted here, yet few if any reported responses from management. Perhaps you could let management at least give an initial response, maybe pick from some canned answers like:

1. We decline to answer this question.
2. We will provide an answer to this question but it will take more than a week.
3. This question can not be answered.

I mean, as far as we know, management looks at these questions and if they don't know the answer, does nothing. Or they might not be looking at them at all. When we get no response we're left wondering how much communication is actually going on versus corporate information paralysis.
01-06-2017, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, as BigRed is no longer able to help, does anyone have an idea where I might get the answer?

Sad that he got no support from Ricoh. Par for their course, unfortunately. They say things gets worse before they get better, but must it always reach absolute nadir? If even three, or four of the horror stories about Precision Camera are true, wouldn't a company that actually cared have stepped in to address the problems?

01-06-2017, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'll be moving all of these questions to the general troubleshooting sections shortly. If you'd like to provide feedback about precision, I've posted a survey in the other forum. The results are still going straight to Ricoh.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2017, 03:58 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Wolfeye Quote
Well, as BigRed is no longer able to help, does anyone have an idea where I might get the answer?

Sad that he got no support from Ricoh. Par for their course, unfortunately. They say things gets worse before they get better, but must it always reach absolute nadir? If even three, or four of the horror stories about Precision Camera are true, wouldn't a company that actually cared have stepped in to address the problems?
Hi,

Some thoughts:
1. Battery cannot keep its charge properly. Indeed, I had this problem a couple of days ago: -5C, many hours of walking, my battery had lost its charge pretty fast.
2. Metal parts of the lenses may shrink so much that glasses fall out. IMHO, it is actual for -30C and lower.
3. Coming to warm and humid places may result in the dewfall at internal parts.

Best regards,
Max
01-11-2017, 10:47 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The design specification is to -10C. All that means is that everything should be expected to work as advertised at that temperature. Below -10C, it is hard to say. Potential problem areas include:
  • Non-functional rear LCD
  • Thickened lubrication affecting mechanical parts (binding)
  • Reduced battery performance (voltage and/or amperage and/or charge)
  • System failures due to cold-induced power issues
  • Compromised electrical contacts due to material contraction with cold
  • Cold-induced materials failure (e.g. brittle plastics)
This sort of question comes up every once in awhile and there are multiple articles on the Web with general suggestions regarding cold-weather shooting. The most important concerns are:
  • Preventing condensation and icing of camera/lens internals (this can be fatal)
  • Power issues. An external power source is often a good idea for prolonged sessions in the cold.
  • Materials and mechanical issues
  • Frost formation on external optics
Various products and techniques exist for all of the above.

Steve