Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-18-2016, 03:27 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Could also be the bulb. Again strobist is a place to start. Google strobist fash bulb replacement.

---------- Post added 12-18-16 at 05:02 PM ----------

Heres a great resource.
Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Electronic Flash Units and Strobe Lights and Design Guidelines, Useful Circuits, and Schematics

12-18-2016, 07:32 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
Could also be the bulb. Again strobist is a place to start. Google strobist fash bulb replacement.

---------- Post added 12-18-16 at 05:02 PM ----------

Heres a great resource.
Notes on the Troubleshooting and Repair of Electronic Flash Units and Strobe Lights and Design Guidelines, Useful Circuits, and Schematics
Thanks.
08-08-2020, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #18

Yes this is an old thread, but I was experiencing the same problem as the OP and now it is fixed. I will share all I did, in the hopes that this may help someone else, because I was about to sell it as broken for a small amount on eBay, and now I am happily able to use it!

Nutshell:
- power on
- press Mode button to cycle through the modes
- when get to P-TTL, the Ready lamp (Test button) lights up for about 1 second, then goes off
- with flash on camera, get ready to take a shot that will require flash -- half-press shutter and hold half down
- cycle through modes again; when you reach P-TTL and the Test button lights, fully depress shutter to take photo
- flash fires!
- flash becomes Ready and STAYS ready as it should -- and never returns (so far) to that bad state it was initially in!

More things I tried:
- fairly fresh batteries
- since I'd bought the flash used and the prev owner had left batteries in it, and a battery got corroded, I used steel wool to clean the battery contacts well
- tried cycling through other things, zooming, etc.
- when I once saw the light on and pressed Test and it fired, it did NOT return to normal operation; it only did when I fired the flash from the camera, taking a photo
- turned no and off several times
- it is possible that I initially mounted the flash on the camera without pushing it FULLY into the hotshoe; it may have had imperfect contact, therefore, with the camera
Note: I have not tried wireless mode.

My guess is that the flash got into some sort of incorrect internal state, and whatever I did allowed it to fire and reset to the correct state. It lost its mind, then got it back. But that is just a guess.

As far as I know, the flash has not been abused or handled roughly, but as noted, I was not the original owner.

Hope this helps someone!
08-12-2020, 03:19 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update: I sold the bad unit to someone needing physical parts.

06-02-2021, 05:00 PM   #20

I have two AF540FGZ's. The first one that I bought stopped charging from the batteries. I have an external 300V power supply. the flash still works with the external power. The display and zoom motor works under battery power, but the cap does not appear to charge. The only way to get the ready light to illuminate is with the external power supply. So I bought a second AF540FGZ. That one just quit working today. The newer one does not flash. Period. The display works. the zoom motor works. The ready light remains one. But no function cause it to flash. Not wireless, not camera mounted, not with the test button. And the external battery pack makes no difference. The ready light stays on even when it is pushed.
I liked this flash (these flashes), but they are clearly not reliable.
Does anybody have a suggestion for a good flash for my K-1? I have some older Sunpak flamethrowers, but they are not PTTL And they are really big. I would like a flash that is closer to 100GN and can accept an external power supply (high voltage like the AF540FGZ). I want something that recharges really fast, which was what I had with the AF540FGZ. I can still use the older one, but only with the external battery. And of course I want something that works with the K-1. Am I asking too much?
06-02-2021, 09:09 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two possibilities:

1. Flash capacitor: Google "forming capacitor flash"
Something which needs to be done once every 2 month or so if the flash is not used.
Otherwise the concensor will dry out and eventually fail.

2. Trigger circuit damaged.

Try:

- batteries in, switch on and leave without flashing for half an hour

- if the charge-light goes on at least a good sign
- after 30min push the flash button. If it now flashes, its was the capacitor which now has "begun" being formed!
It is not yet fully formed!
- flash 10 x, then a pause for 5 min.. repeat 2 more times.
06-03-2021, 02:02 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by another Jim Jacoby Quote
I have two AF540FGZ's. The first one that I bought stopped charging from the batteries. I have an external 300V power supply. the flash still works with the external power. The display and zoom motor works under battery power, but the cap does not appear to charge. The only way to get the ready light to illuminate is with the external power supply. So I bought a second AF540FGZ. That one just quit working today. The newer one does not flash. Period. The display works. the zoom motor works. The ready light remains one. But no function cause it to flash. Not wireless, not camera mounted, not with the test button. And the external battery pack makes no difference. The ready light stays on even when it is pushed.
I liked this flash (these flashes), but they are clearly not reliable.
Does anybody have a suggestion for a good flash for my K-1? I have some older Sunpak flamethrowers, but they are not PTTL And they are really big. I would like a flash that is closer to 100GN and can accept an external power supply (high voltage like the AF540FGZ). I want something that recharges really fast, which was what I had with the AF540FGZ. I can still use the older one, but only with the external battery. And of course I want something that works with the K-1. Am I asking too much?
Since this thread is old you may have a better chance of getting help posting a new thread asking for this info.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 06-03-2021 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Typo
06-03-2021, 10:01 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Since this thread is old you may have a better chance of getting help posting a new thread asking for this info.
thanks i will try that.