Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2016, 03:07 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How is the AF system and other functions designed to work?

Other brands have extensive manuals on how their auto focus system works. Also manuals for other "out of the ordinary" functions.

As a Pentax user I have to guess, test, guess again and so on when it comes to these functions on the Pentax cameras.

I would like a manual for how to optimize my AF settings depending on what I am shooting.

I would also like to have manuals describing how to use AstroTracer, Pixel Shift and Electronic Shutter. What are the limitations etc

As of now the only source I have is this forum, but we are only guessing how it is supposed to be used, I really want to know how the engineer who designed the function was thinking...

Best Regards

Thomas H / Sweden

12-18-2016, 03:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this not covered by pages 51-54 of the K-1 user manual?

QuoteOriginally posted by Tjompen1968 Quote
I would like a manual for how to optimize my AF settings depending on what I am shooting.
12-18-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No it is not. Those pages only lists what settings you can set. It does not state what Hold Medium is exactly or how Auto in 1st frame action in AF.C works etc
12-18-2016, 04:37 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No it is not. Those pages only lists what settings you can set. It does not state what Hold Medium is exactly or how Auto in 1st frame action in AF.C works etc
Aha. So really, you'd like a more detailed user manual.

12-19-2016, 01:14 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes I do.

One example is the latest firmware with Electronic shutter. The pdf tells you how and when you can turn it on, something that is really easy to figure out, but does not give any clue to why and when to use it. You then have to google it. Googling this ES you will find a good guide for Nikon D810...
10-08-2019, 04:50 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I found this a while ago... How to optimize focusing accuracy with large-aperture lenses / Beautiful Photo-life | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 10-08-19 at 01:52 PM ----------

Especially this quote:

Highlight: The advantage of Spot setting in AF mode
The Spot setting is an autofocus mode that detects the in-focus point using a single AF sensor positioned at the center of the image field.
For PENTAX digital SLR cameras marketed after the PENTAX K-3, the Spot setting detects an area approximately 30 percent narrower than that of the Select setting, which uses a set of middle AF sensors in autofocus operation.
10-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I found this a while ago... How to optimize focusing accuracy with large-aperture lenses / Beautiful Photo-life | RICOH IMAGING

---------- Post added 10-08-19 at 01:52 PM ----------

Especially this quote:

Highlight: The advantage of Spot setting in AF mode
The Spot setting is an autofocus mode that detects the in-focus point using a single AF sensor positioned at the center of the image field.
For PENTAX digital SLR cameras marketed after the PENTAX K-3, the Spot setting detects an area approximately 30 percent narrower than that of the Select setting, which uses a set of middle AF sensors in autofocus operation.
Useful, thanks for posting.
10-08-2019, 04:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
AF Hold is a system that "holds" the AF distance in case an object comes between you and the subject while using AF-C.
The Low, Med, High is just a parameter of how much priority is placed on maintaining that focus Hold.
I guess you can look at it as this... It's AF-C with a window of AF-S built in. How much priority is given to the AF-S (Hold) is dictated through Off, Low, Med, High.

Auto for first frame action in AF-C basically just lets the camera decide whether to use Release or Focus Priority. I found it as useful as AF-A (the camera decides to use AF-S or AF-C depending on what you're shooting and I never found it working very well).

10-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On these forums there are also some useful threads discussing settings that may help, including these ones:

Good AF Setup in Options... - PentaxForums.com
K-1 settings for sports - PentaxForums.com