Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-19-2016, 09:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

k-1

hi , just got my new k-1, have the Manuel, have Yvon BourQue book, have taken it out and am super exited, but a couple questions i cant seem to find answers too. #1 how cold will it work in, book says 14 degrees? , has any one had any experience in the cold with it? #2 what is the auto select custom image menu used for? is it some thing you have to change every time are is auto ok?. i know these might be rookie questions , but would truly like to know. thanks in advance.

---------- Post added 12-19-16 at 11:37 AM ----------

yes i have read the Manuel several times and Yvon' book with camera in front of me .

12-19-2016, 09:55 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
14F / -10C is what the camera is rated for. You can use it in colder temps for short periods of time, but if it gets too cold it's possible for the internals to freeze.

As for the custom image auto selection, nobody really knows what the camera will choose. My guess is that it'll work kind of like in a scene mode. Of course, with the K-1 you'll want to shoot in raw so you can always pick the perfect color profile for each photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-19-2016, 11:17 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't worry regarding the temperatures. I have been using my Pentax gear quite often at temperatures between -25°C and -15°C in wintertime in Iceland or here in the mountains in Switzerland. The only issue is that the LCD screens (both top and rear) get slower to react as the temperatures drop, but apart from that, the camera remains fully operational. Be careful however when entering a warm heated room with a camera which stayed out in the cold for several hours, humidity to immediately condense on the body and might even freeze. So, before entering a heated room with a freezing cold camera, put it back in the camera bag, close it and leave the gear in it for a few hours to let the camera come slowly back to normal temperatures.
12-19-2016, 06:20 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
The only issue is that the LCD screens (both top and rear) get slower to react as the temperatures drop
LCDs (Liquid Crystal Displays) as the name suggests has liquid in them. It can and will freeze at its freezing point. If that happens it can start to slow down like tcom mentioned. The fluids/crystals don't align to the electrical signals being sent to them when frozen. This may temporarily cause displays to go wonky, malfunction. It usually should not harm if you do not force it to function as in turn the LCD display off if you think it may freeze. Some poor quality LCDs may permanently (cheap digital watches) go bad if they freeze and refuse to thaw back to their original state.

QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
Be careful however when entering a warm heated room with a camera which stayed out in the cold for several hours, humidity to immediately condense on the body and might even freeze. So, before entering a heated room with a freezing cold camera, put it back in the camera bag, close it and leave the gear in it for a few hours to let the camera come slowly back to normal temperatures.
Or just use a zip-lock bag to bag your camera before you enter a humid or warm room. I do that all the time and is easy to carry around. Saves you a lot of headache from condensation which is inevitable in such a transition.

Also avoid lens changes if you can. I use one lens for the entire shoot and then don't change out until I am in a place devoid of odds.

Last edited by shardulm; 12-19-2016 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Added another tip
12-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
may be liquid crystals do not have "liquid"; its just a special type material that has both properties of liquid and crystal !