Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-21-2016, 03:33 AM - 1 Like   #1
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Detailed Information Request

Good morning, I wonder would it be possible to obtain some dimensional drawings for an older lens (SMC PENTAX 1:4.5 500mm Serial 6542936)?

As I'm currently trying to get a set covers made by LensCoat in Freehold New Jersey 07728.

At the moment the only method would seem to be, to actually send the lens to them, all 3.5kgs of it all the way from the Highlands of Scotland.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

01-09-2017, 04:16 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
Oh dear no response... it looks like I need a plan B, Pentax Europe were unable to help either.
01-09-2017, 04:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Oh dear no response... it looks like I need a plan B, Pentax Europe were unable to help either.
Ask Lenscoat if they can 3D Scan a 500/4.5 locally anywhere in the USA. or maybe a USA member would volunteer to ship a local copy.
01-09-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Ask LensCoat if they can 3D Scan a 500/4.5 locally anywhere in the USA
I emailed LensCoat and this was their reply concerning this lens... "However it is not a lens that we have so we would need you to send your lens to us for us to work with while making the LensCoat"

But your suggestions worth a try, thanks.

01-09-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Try searching for a company with a 3d scanner near you. I have no idea what they'll charge. Lenscoat should be able to work from those measurements.
01-09-2017, 08:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Try searching for a company with a 3d scanner near you. I have no idea what they'll charge. Lenscoat should be able to work from those measurements.
Adding on to this suggestion, look for a makerspace or hackerspace or a larger public library. They often have 3D printers available for free or a small fee.
01-09-2017, 08:54 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Adding on to this suggestion, look for a makerspace or hackerspace or a larger public library. They often have 3D printers available for free or a small fee.
Yeah, that. I was stuck in last year's thinking. Lots of libraries have 3d printing services now.

Kerrowdown's locale might still be using dot matrix. Mods, that's just a joke and I don't intend to start a geopolitical battle

Last edited by DeadJohn; 01-09-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: errant apostrophe
01-09-2017, 09:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

you might see if a dive shop or an upholsterer could stitch up a set of neoprene tubes that would cover your lens

if it's just camouflage not protection some folks are using stretch bandage/gun wrap to cover their glass

if the lens is in the database you may be able to translate an image and dimensions into something lens coat could use
barring some tapering of the tubes that might work

sorry...just spitballing here