Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2016, 07:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
To be honest, I don't know why it has to be turned off.
In the K-01 Manual: "
Using the Shake Reduction Function
to Prevent Camera Shake
"

12-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I'm lazy and leave SR on, even when using my tripod. Hey, you never know when an earthquake might hit, so it pays to be prepared, right?
12-21-2016, 10:11 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
I'm lazy and leave SR on, even when using my tripod. Hey, you never know when an earthquake might hit, so it pays to be prepared, right?
that's funny. I have a few time taking photo during earthquake strike. I found that if it shook hard enough for human to feel, SR won't help!
12-21-2016, 10:15 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
The MeFoto tripod I have has a place on the underside of where the legs attach to attach a small carabiner, I attach my camera bag to that and it effectively increases the mass. SR off.
I've tried using that with the 70-200, but I've noticed that my backpack is often heavy enough to put significant strain on the tripod. The other day when I tried it, the centre column suddenly collapsed on me, which was...startling.

12-21-2016, 10:55 PM   #20
Huy
Forum Member

I usually use 2 sec timer when shooting with the tripod. But I forgot to do it 2 days ago
12-21-2016, 11:05 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
that's funny. I have a few time taking photo during earthquake strike. I found that if it shook hard enough for human to feel, SR won't help!
Hi Pak,
I can vouch for your opinion.
In about 1992 ( I forget exactly) , I was presenting, with a colleague engineer, a training course near Ikebukuro
I took this photo with the Pentax ME Super and the SMC Pentax 1:2 50mm and the Pentax AF16 Flash.
After that a tremor shook us all and I recall the building columns,
like the one shown in this photo, twisting all along the building.
https://app.box.com/s/2bihp0353890b6f8edgvvpyym89m7e5w
I recall that all the trains tripped off and we had to wait in client's factory for about 12 hours before
all clear.
12-21-2016, 11:30 PM   #22
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I usually forget to turn off SR.

To be honest, I don't know why it has to be turned off.
Hi Ron. The SR is designed to counteract vibration, as you know. BUT, without any vibration present the SR while trying to detect vibration can actually set up its own. As it is trying to stop its own vibration and can't, it can set off a feedback loop on itself and actually damage the SR. Here is an old thread that covers it pretty well. Some of the posters in that thread are in this one as well.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/246727-w...ke-tripod.html

EDIT - " potentially " damage instead of " actually " damage intended. Apologies for any confusion caused.

Last edited by Unregistered User 8; 12-22-2016 at 03:48 AM. Reason: Add text
12-21-2016, 11:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
The SR is designed to counteract vibration, as you know. BUT, without any vibration present the SR while trying to detect vibration can actually set up its own. As it is trying to stop its own vibration and can't, it can set off a feedback loop on itself and actually damage the SR.
I doubt that it works like that.
Can you cite a ref?
The K-01 manual page 100, for example , seems to explain it.
Regards,
12-21-2016, 11:55 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi Ron. The SR is designed to counteract vibration, as you know. BUT, without any vibration present the SR while trying to detect vibration can actually set up its own. As it is trying to stop its own vibration and can't, it can set off a feedback loop on itself and actually damage the SR. Here is an old thread that covers it pretty well. Some of the posters in that thread are in this one as well.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/246727-w...ke-tripod.html
That doesn't sound right. Has anyone ever actually broken their SR by doing that?
12-21-2016, 11:58 PM   #25
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I doubt that it works like that.
Can you cite a ref?
The K-01 manual page 100, for example , seems to explain it.
Regards,
A short ' captain google " search found this. As there will always be photographers who dispute all manner of theories, SR is specifically designed for hand holding the camera. Cheers.

How to Make Sure You are Using Image Stabilization Correctly
12-22-2016, 12:41 AM   #26
Veteran Member

As there will always be photographers who dispute all manner of theories, SR is specifically designed for hand holding the camera. Cheers.
I recommend you read your Pentax Camera Manual before pontificating on here.
12-22-2016, 01:27 AM   #27
Closed Account

A short ' captain google " search found this. As there will always be photographers who dispute all manner of theories, SR is specifically designed for hand holding the camera. Cheers.

How to Make Sure You are Using Image Stabilization Correctly
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
I recommend you read your Pentax Camera Manual before pontificating on here.
Apologies if you thought this was an attack wombat2go, as this was not my intention. Camera manuals state the SR should be turned off when using a tripod, yet many know this and still leave it on. That is what I meant by " disputing " theories. I was not being purposely disrespectful.
12-22-2016, 03:20 AM   #28
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
That doesn't sound right. Has anyone ever actually broken their SR by doing that?
What I should have written, but did not in my haste was, has the " potential " to damage the SR. The feedback loop is a real occurrence as a consequence of the sensor setting up its own movement in trying to compensate for perceived movement. That is why some complain about blurry images even though they used a tripod - the camera was still set with SR ON. If you read the old thread and the other link I have provided, it is recommended that the SR be OFF when using a tripod. Apologies for any confusion that I have caused ( inadvertently ).
12-22-2016, 03:41 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I typically would have the SR off when I'm on a tripod, as I am using the self timer or a wireless remote to trigger the image. If I didn't use those and was more using the tripod the way you would use a monopod, then I probably wouldn't hesitate to use SR. SR is there to counteract shake. If you are rock steady, then it can actually make images worse, but if you are shaking some then it should help.
12-22-2016, 04:23 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In terms of set up, I prefer my heavy old metal Gitzo and Arca Swiss Monoball when using the the K-1 with the 70-200, but my mid range aluminium Manfrotto (055 XPRO series) + XPRO ball head can certainly handle the combo with a little more care -as others have said, I mostly use the 2-sec timer, so no SR, but the differnce between really sharp and not really sharp with a lens of that quality makes me reluctant to take any chances with non-recommended procedures