Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2016, 09:55 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Like some posters, I occasionally forget to turn off SR on my K10d and K20d, whilst always using either cable release or IR. However, I would like some advice, please - what is the general consensus of opinion regarding SR and a monopod ? I don't recall seeing anything about this, and wonder if others have personal experience ?

Tony

12-22-2016, 10:06 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I usually forget to turn off SR.

To be honest, I don't know why it has to be turned off.
The most credible explanation is that tripod legs can transmit micro vibrations from the ground to the camera, or possibly reflect the vibration of the mirror movement. The detectors in the SR circuit interpret this as camera motion and activate the SR, even though there's no real motion to cancel.
12-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
what is the general consensus of opinion regarding SR and a monopod ?
I always leave it on when using Sigma 150 500 and they seem ok

12-22-2016, 01:45 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Thanks, mohb.

12-22-2016, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #35

You must turn off in-body SR stabilization when the camera is mounted to a tripod. This is clearly stated in every user manual of every camera. The reason is simple: you are creating a feedback loop. When the camera is fixed in position the movement of the SR system itself introduces movement that is detected and compensated for and detected and compensated for . . . . and on and on. That is why Pentax did such a great thing by automatically disabling SR when using the 2 second timer. A feature I use constantly.
12-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
It's a Carbon Fibre Road Trip, and quite steady with my other lenses: FA 31, 43, 77, DFA 28-105 and DFA 100.

Definitely the tripod. I used the same head on the Gitzo I trialed, with no stability issues. It's an Acratech gp-ss.
I'll have to remember that. Mine isn't the carbon version though, its the aluminum one. I wonder if that makes any difference?
12-22-2016, 02:27 PM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
I'll have to remember that. Mine isn't the carbon version though, its the aluminum one. I wonder if that makes any difference?
I don't think so. It's mostly just lighter. I've been eyeing the carbon Globetrotter. That adds about ten pounds to the max weight supported, but, ugh, it's hard to justify a tripod over one lens.

12-22-2016, 02:39 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffB Quote
That is why Pentax did such a great thing by automatically disabling SR when using the 2 second timer. A feature I use constantly.
Same here, however, that can come back and bite you too. A few weeks ago I picked up my K-30 that hadn't been used for a couple of months and wondered why my shake reduction was turned off and nothing I did via the menus wanted to turn it back on again. After many minutes of fruitless button pushing I resorted to RTFM-ing and finally spotted an annotation to a sub-section that put me on the right track. The last time I had used the camera it had been on a tripod and I had been using the 2 second timer and I forgot to take it off that mode when I finished the shoot! Cancel the timer mode and voila SR is back on again!
12-22-2016, 02:47 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Same here, however, that can come back and bite you too. A few weeks ago I picked up my K-30 that hadn't been used for a couple of months and wondered why my shake reduction was turned off and nothing I did via the menus wanted to turn it back on again. After many minutes of fruitless button pushing I resorted to RTFM-ing and finally spotted an annotation to a sub-section that put me on the right track. The last time I had used the camera it had been on a tripod and I had been using the 2 second timer and I forgot to take it off that mode when I finished the shoot! Cancel the timer mode and voila SR is back on again!
I know when I was exploring my K-1's settings, the Memory sub-menu lets you choose what to forget and reset when you turn off the camera. Drive mode is one of those options. Might be on the K-30, too.
12-22-2016, 03:28 PM   #40
Veteran Member

You must turn off in-body SR stabilization when the camera is mounted to a tripod. This is clearly stated in every user manual of every camera. The reason is simple: you are creating a feedback loop. When the camera is fixed in position the movement of the SR system itself introduces movement that is detected and compensated for and detected and compensated for . . . . and on and on. That is why Pentax did such a great thing by automatically disabling SR when using the 2 second timer. A feature I use constantly.
It has been empirically shown that "must" is not an absolute. Some people have perfectly good shots, consistently with SR while using a tripod.

Can you also point to the page in a Pentax manual that states such things?
I found 21 pages in the K1 manual, (16 in the K3-ii manual) listing shake reduction - none mention turning off with tripod use.
I found 7 pages in the K1 manual (6 in the K3-ii manual) mentioning Tripod but only mention of Shake Reduction was the ability to use the sensor movement to adjust composition.

FYI, Having a tripod on a non-stable surface like a bridge or event otherwise stable ground near heavy traffic might be a useful time to have SR, even with 2-second timer or mirror lockup enabled.

There is a need to be careful about all-encompsing statements being used as absolute truths.

Last edited by amoringello; 12-23-2016 at 03:23 AM.
12-22-2016, 03:54 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I know when I was exploring my K-1's settings, the Memory sub-menu lets you choose what to forget and reset when you turn off the camera. Drive mode is one of those options. Might be on the K-30, too.
Good point! I will check the K-30 settings. I am now using my recently acquired K-70 as my main camera so I will check that too (as well as my daughter's K-50).
12-22-2016, 04:34 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Pentax K-5II (page 123): "Caution Set [Shake Reduction] to (Off) when using the camera with a tripod or when this function is not needed."

Pentax K-7 (page 132): "...it is recommended that the Shake Reduction function be turned off and the camera be used with a tripod."

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (page 21): "When the camera is mounted on a tripod, set the vibration reduction ON/OFF switch to OFF"

Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO OS DG HSM: "Please do not use Optical Stabilizer in the following situations. When the lens is mounted on a tripod. Bulb (long time exposure)."
12-22-2016, 07:22 PM   #43
Pentaxian

And somewhat earlier, Pentax K10d page 68 :

"Be sure to turn off the Shake Reduction switch when using the camera on a tripod".

Quote for the purpose of review.

Tony
12-22-2016, 07:34 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Pentax K-5II (page 123): "Caution Set [Shake Reduction] to (Off) when using the camera with a tripod or when this function is not needed."

Pentax K-7 (page 132): "...it is recommended that the Shake Reduction function be turned off and the camera be used with a tripod."

Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II (page 21): "When the camera is mounted on a tripod, set the vibration reduction ON/OFF switch to OFF"

Sigma 50-500mm f/4.5-6.3 APO OS DG HSM: "Please do not use Optical Stabilizer in the following situations. When the lens is mounted on a tripod. Bulb (long time exposure)."
Still, not; "...in every user manual of every camera". But, Fair enough.
12-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
It has been empirically shown that "must" is not an absolute. She people have perfectly good shots, consistently with SR while using a tripod.

I found 21 pages in the K1 manual, (16 in the K3-ii manual) listing shake reduction - none mention turning off with tripod use.
I found 7 pages in the K1 manual (6 in the K3-ii manual) mentioning Tripod but only mention of Shake Reduction was the ability to use the sensor movement to adjust composition.

FYI, Having a tripod on a non-stable surface like a bridge or event otherwise stable ground near heavy traffic might be a useful time to have SR, even with 2-second timer or mirror lockup enabled.

There is a need to be careful about all-encompsing statements being used as absolute truths.
Good point. I was poking around, and the K-1 even has a custom setting that lets you turn off the automatic disabling of shake reduction during 2-second timer, MLU, etc. @pjv; I think this custom setting is good evidence that Ricoh does not think SR while on a tripod causes physical damage to any systems.