Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do any of you shoot on a tripod with SR on?

Since I returned that expensive Gitzo tripod, I'm back to my MeFoto tripod, but...it's a bit wobbly with my K-1 and 70-200, even when mounted via the lens QR plate. Since the tripod isn't stable, I've been leaving SR on while shooting, with OK, but not great results.

12-21-2016, 04:01 PM - 4 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I'm on a tripod, I use timer delay, or remote release... by default both turn off SR.

And there are only 2 types of tripods by my friend's account: Heavy ones and ones that dont work
12-21-2016, 04:05 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
i probably have, it will still work on a tripod.
12-21-2016, 04:12 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I turn off SR when the camera is on a tripod, IF I remember, and usually use a cable release. However, a hand on a tripod-mounted camera triggered even with your finger is going to be steadier that hand-holding using SR, IMHO. And I have a collectiON of 'pods from stuff-in-my-pocket to don't-carry-more-than-fifty-feet-from-the-car (a re-purposed wooden surveyor's tripod that must weight close to 20 lb)

Last edited by WPRESTO; 12-21-2016 at 07:21 PM.
12-21-2016, 04:33 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I did once. Once in a lifetime chance at Big Horn sheep feeding up close, amazing light. 90% of shots on a tripod. With SR on unfortunately. 10% of shots hand held. Hand held shots very nice. Tripod shots soft and mushy. Learned that lesson and will never use SR on a tripod.
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
And there are only 2 types of tripods by my friend's account: Heavy ones and ones that dont work
+100 on that. Go big or just leave it home. If the tripod is not rock steady it is a waste of time, money and effort to haul it around.
12-21-2016, 04:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote

It's hard to give up because it's rock steady and I use it with MLU with the K-1 and lighter lenses, but this one lens makes it give up the ghost.
12-21-2016, 04:38 PM   #7
Veteran Member

my SR always off when on tripod because I always either use remote control or 2 sec timer while on tripod.

for wobbly tripod, see if you can add a weight hook below tripod and hang something heavy to help stable it. I usually do that with my backpack. I have to carry lenses and things in a backpack anyway. and I don't want to add extra wage by carry another heavy tripod around walking for 6-8 hours. weight hook + backpack work very well for me.

Last edited by pakinjapan; 12-21-2016 at 04:45 PM.
12-21-2016, 04:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I only turn off SR when the camera does it automatically with the 2 second delay. On a flimsy tripped that can be a disaster.

Last edited by normhead; 12-21-2016 at 04:46 PM.
12-21-2016, 04:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I never turn it off. If I shoot with 2-second timer (which is rare) it shuts off on its own, otherwise I don't worry about it. Never caused a problem.
12-21-2016, 05:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I was using the Pentax K-01 last week in Osaka in a semi outdoor industrial situation.
( 4 Celsius for 14 Hr shift is Way Too Cold for me by the way !)

Initially i had asked client for a tripod , but quickly found that the steel catwalk i was on, was shaking like N**othing on Earth, so both the movies and stills were no good.
So thereafter I hand held the camera with SR=off for movie and SR= On for stills. ( It can be locked in both of those modes)

For the stills I went up to iso 1600 to stop down a bit for dof with 40th~100th , and sometimes used the camera's flash at iso 100 to stop right down for sharpness.
For the movies, taking luminous hot steel, I had to limit stop down to f/5.6 and f/8 to limit diffraction of edges.
I learned that the K-01 in movie mode adjusts the sensor exposure automatically, with no ability to control manually, moreover I could not get WB out of AWB for the movies.
So my hot steel was way overexposed, and the moving mechanical parts were blurred..
Notwithstanding all the above, I obtained some 100 sharp, well exposed photos with the K-01 which are now providing useful info for analysis of an unusual problem.
The lens used was the SMC Pentax -M 1:2.8 40~80mm Macro and 80% of the photos were in macro mode ( 300 to 1200mm distance)
The K-01 is now rather dirty, I had step up ring with an old 58mm metal hood on the lens with a 58mm Hoya UV filter to keep the lens clean.
12-21-2016, 06:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
Since I returned that expensive Gitzo tripod, I'm back to my MeFoto tripod, but...it's a bit wobbly with my K-1 and 70-200, even when mounted via the lens QR plate. Since the tripod isn't stable, I've been leaving SR on while shooting, with OK, but not great results.
Out of curiousity, which model MeFoto? I have the one with the 18 pound weight capacity and I've never had stabilization issues with it, and I tend to use heavy old vintage glass on my K-3 with it.
12-21-2016, 06:28 PM   #12
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
It's hard to give up because it's rock steady and I use it with MLU with the K-1 and lighter lenses, but this one lens makes it give up the ghost.
is it the tripod or the head that is giving you problems?
12-21-2016, 06:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I always use a IR Remote with three second delay or if I don't have the remote a 2 or 12 second delay so shake reduction is automatic. I have the MeFoto Backpacker with is decent on steady ground and I have used a 20-200 on it a couple of times, but it has to be real steady for that. It's no match for my big heavy Induro.
12-21-2016, 06:57 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Out of curiousity, which model MeFoto? I have the one with the 18 pound weight capacity and I've never had stabilization issues with it, and I tend to use heavy old vintage glass on my K-3 with it.
It's a Carbon Fibre Road Trip, and quite steady with my other lenses: FA 31, 43, 77, DFA 28-105 and DFA 100.

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
is it the tripod or the head that is giving you problems?
Definitely the tripod. I used the same head on the Gitzo I trialed, with no stability issues. It's an Acratech gp-ss.
12-21-2016, 07:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I usually forget to turn off SR.

To be honest, I don't know why it has to be turned off.