Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #1

K-30 18-55mm lens washed out spot

What's the cause of these washed out spot?, thank you in advance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-21-2016, 09:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That is lens flare, which is usually more pronounced in zooms, but is caused by the strong highlighted sky in the background. In your example, it would be pretty hard to avoid, even if youʻre using a lens hood and removed the clear protection filter. Or if the restaurant allowed it, close their blinds/curtain over the window.

Are you seeing this in any other examples where there isnʻt a strong light in the background?
12-21-2016, 09:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That flare in bright light is typical for my kit 18~55mm
Here it is:
https://app.box.com/s/84el6wl3chcaudz8a7vgdo11nm1jp6tc

Compared to my very old SMC Pentax -M 1:2 50mm
https://app.box.com/s/uinq3uy9nadmbvnnfpduruseqcpylzx9
12-21-2016, 09:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
That is lens flare, which is usually more pronounced in zooms, but is caused by the strong highlighted sky in the background. In your example, it would be pretty hard to avoid, even if youʻre using a lens hood and removed the clear protection filter. Or if the restaurant allowed it, close their blinds/curtain over the window.

Are you seeing this in any other examples where there isnʻt a strong light in the background?
I've noticed the new HD coatings seem to be pretty great at combatting flare.

12-21-2016, 11:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I've noticed the new HD coatings seem to be pretty great at combatting flare.
Can you put up a comparison?
Thanks
12-22-2016, 12:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Can you put up a comparison?
Thanks
I'm on mobile, so I don't have access to my own catalog of images right now, but look at this flaring test of the DA* 50-135 (using regular SMC coatings):

Pentax-DA* 50-135mm F2.8 Review - Flare | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Those aren't shooting directly into the sun, and still the flaring is terrible. Compare to the second set of images taken with the D-FA* 70-200 (using HD coatings):

HD Pentax-D FA* 70-200mm F2.8 ED DC AW Review - Aberrations | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Less flaring, even with the sun in the frame. On the other hand, starbursts are weaker, too. In my experience, flare isn't usually this bad on either lens, but that's the nature of tests.
12-22-2016, 01:22 AM   #7

Original Poster

yes, it also appears in other photo without strong light background.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
12-22-2016, 01:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vinzxalvin Quote
yes, it also appears in other photo without strong light background.
Just to eliminate possible problems, have you checked if the back element of your lens is clean?
12-22-2016, 02:11 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Do you have another lens that shows the same problem?

The only other thing I can imagine: You live in the Philippines? Although your lens is WR, itʻs a zoom and not air tight as the elements and groups expand or contract air space between them. When going from a cool dry air conditioned environment to a warm humid one, thereʻs a good chance that you will get condensation between the filter and front element, one of the inner lens elements, or it can even form on the sensor in rare circumstances.

Sometimes the condensation goes away within hours, and sometimes longer.

When the problem is occurring, remove your lens and take a flashlight and inspect the lens for any fogging or even mold or fungus. They almost always form in the center before spreading to the edges. Clean glass? Then lock up the mirror or use a long shutter speed and check out that your sensor is clean.
12-22-2016, 02:12 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Just to eliminate possible problems, have you checked if the back element of your lens is clean?

Yes, I always clean both the back and the front of my lenses.
12-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #11

Original Poster
Do you have another lens that shows the same problem?

The only other thing I can imagine: You live in the Philippines? Although your lens is WR, itʻs a zoom and not air tight as the elements and groups expand or contract air space between them. When going from a cool dry air conditioned environment to a warm humid one, thereʻs a good chance that you will get condensation between the filter and front element, one of the inner lens elements, or it can even form on the sensor in rare circumstances.

Sometimes the condensation goes away within hours, and sometimes longer.

When the problem is occurring, remove your lens and take a flashlight and inspect the lens for any fogging or even mold or fungus. They almost always form in the center before spreading to the edges. Clean glass? Then lock up the mirror or use a long shutter speed and check out that your sensor is clean.
Thank you for the advice.