Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
12-25-2016, 05:29 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stein Quote
I already did some test shots with my daughter as a model but she is very different from the model (different tone of skin and not too interested to act as a model - rather sitting there like an egg) so I got the basic starting positions for the mono lights and have a complete set of various light modifiers we can play with...
I found F8 to be a great starting F number as that gives me a great chance to get a clear and sharp shot of both eyes even if the head is slightly turned aside. At F6.3 can't really get both eyes to be perfectly sharp...
Good luck with your setup.

12-26-2016, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #17
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just one thing in regards to your OP that I don't think anyone has touched on so far ; If you used any focal length lens and moved forward or back so the subject was the same size on the sensor then at any given f-stop the depth of field would be the same for all lenses.
That is -- For all lenses,
For a given format (apsc),
At a given subject magnification ,
At a given f-stop ,
Dof would be the same .
Of course your background changes with the change in perspective.
Nice portraits on your link.
12-26-2016, 04:11 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
With extra time, and having nailed some standard shots needed for both your portfolios, wouldn't you use the now good relationship to attempt more adventurous poses, lighting setups and expressions?

I think we may have different philosophies, Zzeitg!
Now I'm not sure if this is what I can read between the lines, but I can also imagine different ways how to work up the "now good relationship". Far beyond photographic horizon.
12-26-2016, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I think the D FA 100mm Macro peaks at around F4 or F5.6, and since the 100 F4 starts at F4, it likely doesn't hit its sweet spot until later.
The 100mm f4 is already there wide open. Even more so since the crop sensor only uses the center portion. This is a good thing since crop sensors starts hitting diffraction sooner.

Of course in the used market, it may be possible le to get a bad sample of a lens.

---------- Post added 12-26-16 at 06:33 PM ----------

I found F8 to be a great starting F number as that gives me a great chance to get a clear and sharp shot of both eyes even if the head is slightly turned aside. At F6.3 can't really get both eyes to be perfectly sharp...
I would suggest controlled retesting for two reasons. One is that crop sensors exhibit deeper DOF at the same aperture as full frame and also hits diffraction sooner. I can't imagine both eyes not in sharp focus before f8 so perhaps there's a focusing issue? Handheld manual focusing with tiny viewfinders - specially without good manual focusing screens, can be very challenging.

Last edited by LesDMess; 12-26-2016 at 03:36 PM.
12-26-2016, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #20

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
With extra time, and having nailed some standard shots needed for both your portfolios, wouldn't you use the now good relationship to attempt more adventurous poses, lighting setups and expressions?

I think we may have different philosophies, Zzeitg!
It was tricky enough to convince my wife that it was actually her idea to bring female models home for shooting** Actually, I basically limit the time to around some three to max four hours at once as that should be enough for more reasons. The main reason is that I kind of get tired after three hours of shooting in the afternoon/early evening as I usually get up very early (it's like 3:50AM here now and I'm already up and finished with emails and checking the stuff for the work today) Anyway, I'm a bit messed up now that you mentioned portfolios... So far I had no intention to work on a portfolio as I imagine one but once I get to have a decent number of those "yes!" shots, I might consider doing that as well. The model is also just a "plain" everyday working person who has probably absolutely no idea what to do with a bunch of photos showing her in the best light... Except for personal pleasure of feeling good about herself. That is kind of what I'm trying to get. A perfect shot of a person proving her wrong thinking she doesn't look good just because of all the lousy mobile shots she has around on social media... I usually ask the potential model to show me her best shot and I usually get two answers, one is "I'm not looking good on photos because the camera doesn't like me" or get a smudged something with insuficient amount of light shot with a crappy mobile... Anyway, I'm a bit puzzled with what you mean by "more adventurous poses" ? If you mean nude, that is kind of off the table as I'm not really willing to get into that. Yet. And so far, I'm completely happy that I get what I ask for... Asking for more might end up as cutting shortcuts. And you know what happened with red riding hood when she took a shortcut... She met the big bad wolf...

** Every man can be a succesful one. A succesfull man is a person who can do whatever he wants. The secret is simple: he has to convince his wife that it was actually her idea...

---------- Post added 12-27-16 at 04:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
The 100mm f4 is already there wide open. Even more so since the crop sensor only uses the center portion. This is a good thing since crop sensors starts hitting diffraction sooner.

Of course in the used market, it may be possible le to get a bad sample of a lens.

---------- Post added 12-26-16 at 06:33 PM ----------

I would suggest controlled retesting for two reasons. One is that crop sensors exhibit deeper DOF at the same aperture as full frame and also hits diffraction sooner. I can't imagine both eyes not in sharp focus before f8 so perhaps there's a focusing issue? Handheld manual focusing with tiny viewfinders - specially without good manual focusing screens, can be very challenging.
I do get sharp focus on both eyes at around F4 but not on every shot if there isn't a sufficient amount of light. That's why I went for the monolights as I became completely aware that DIY El-Cheapo lighting setups do work some times but I can't get consistently reliable results working with such a setup. Not to mention the clumsiness of such a setup... When I get enough light, it's all okay. So, I wouldn't blame the gear yet for my own lack of knowledge, bad eyesight and lack of experience working with people

Last edited by stein; 12-26-2016 at 08:18 PM.
12-27-2016, 02:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I do get sharp focus on both eyes at around F4 but not on every shot if there isn't a sufficient amount of light.
So it sounds like motion blur due to low shutter speed caused by not having enough light.
12-28-2016, 09:50 PM - 3 Likes   #22

Original Poster
I was testing a setup last night and made a couple of test shots with my daughter acting as a model. Shot with my K-3 II and Tamron 70-300mm Macro lens. One softbox above her head, and one fill light pointed to the background. Settings all manual,1/125, F8, 70mm, ISO100

12-28-2016, 09:53 PM - 1 Like   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice! Love the Rembrandt lighting, Robert.

01-01-2017, 04:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

I was testing a setup last night and made a couple of test shots with my daughter acting as a model. Shot with my K-3 II and Tamron 70-300mm Macro lens. One softbox above her head, and one fill light pointed to the background. Settings all manual,1/125, F8, 70mm, ISO100

Nice picture. Looks like you are doing very well.
01-02-2017, 09:52 AM - 3 Likes   #25

Original Poster
And this is the best shot from the shoot. Pentax K-3 II, Tamron 90mm F2.8, 1/160, F10, ISO100, one softbox as a lightsource.

01-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Fingertips not actually putting any pressure on the skin - just as it should be! Nice shot, Rob.

01-03-2017, 12:31 AM - 1 Like   #27

Original Poster
Fingertips not actually putting any pressure on the skin - just as it should be! Nice shot, Rob.
Thanks, this shot was one of around twenty or more and none of them felt quite right. I picked this one as somehow everything was just right