Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-26-2016, 10:21 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Photo Security K1 Copyright Info

I have set up my copyright information, but curious how you can I identify my photo if someone steals it using the copyright in coded info?

12-26-2016, 10:25 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The copyright information is embedded in the EXIF metadata. Unfortunately it can easily be stripped by a malicious user.

The best way to protect your photos is to limit the resolution of files you share online, and to put in a watermark to discourage random hotlinking.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-26-2016, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Actually the best way to go about it is to consider anything that you share online to be given away to anyone who wants it. Nothing you can do, short of totally defacing your work, will make it in any way 'secure'.
12-26-2016, 03:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you for sharing the information.

12-26-2016, 04:19 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Nothing you can do, short of totally defacing your work, will make it in any way 'secure'.

"I don't believe it!" - Thank you for a Victor Meldrew moment.
12-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
"I don't believe it!" - Thank you for a Victor Meldrew moment.
Anything you care to put on the web can be stolen.
Go ahead, give it your best shot security wise, post a link and I'll email you your picture to you.
If it's on the web, it can be lifted.
12-26-2016, 11:03 PM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If it's on the web, it can be lifted
Yes, unfortunately. But my response was an oblique joke with @victormeldew who pointed out the lengths one would need to go to and still get pirated. Victor Meldew was a TV character who was always saying, incredulously "I don't believe it!".

12-27-2016, 10:05 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, unfortunately. But my response was an oblique joke with @victormeldew who pointed out the lengths one would need to go to and still get pirated. Victor Meldew was a TV character who was always saying, incredulously "I don't believe it!".
I don't watch much television.
01-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by mhsp1948 Quote
I have set up my copyright information, but curious how you can I identify my photo if someone steals it using the copyright in coded info?
Digimarc (.com) sell a plug in for Photoshop that will leave a digital watermark on your photos. $59 for 1000 images and $119 for 2000 images.

That's about the best you're going to get to protect your images.

You also have to do all the Inventory manually. Every time you export an Image out of Photoshop, you have to increment the number by 1 in your filing system.

Go investigate it.

Hope that helps.

Happy New Year!
01-01-2017, 10:32 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look up steganography. It is the only feasible way to protect a photo. But it can be a pain in the butt to implement.
01-01-2017, 11:20 PM   #11

Ah yes 1 foot in the grave good show LOL
01-02-2017, 03:04 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DYR Photography Quote
Digimarc (.com) sell a plug in for Photoshop that will leave a digital watermark on your photos. $59 for 1000 images and $119 for 2000 images.

That's about the best you're going to get to protect your images.
This doesn't come close to protecting your images. Identifying when an image has been stolen is not the difficult part... Getting the perpetrator to at least stop, let alone compensate you, is the difficult part. You can forget 10c an image, you would most likely need to start by approaching a lawyer and a court, by which time any value the image had would be spent.
01-02-2017, 09:46 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
This doesn't come close to protecting your images. Identifying when an image has been stolen is not the difficult part... Getting the perpetrator to at least stop, let alone compensate you, is the difficult part. You can forget 10c an image, you would most likely need to start by approaching a lawyer and a court, by which time any value the image had would be spent.
Tracking the Image is the first step.

Lawyers are the second step.

However, with the World being a smaller place via the Internet, people printing your images and using them for their own Exhibitions is another.

Protecting the Image via a Digital Watermark is about all one has.

Criminals don't care about Gun Laws, but you do.

So, what are you going to do?

LoL
01-03-2017, 12:56 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DYR Photography Quote
Criminals don't care about Gun Laws, but you do.

So, what are you going to do?

LoL
Live in the UK.

But in terms of sharing images online...I treat it as though I'm leaving a print on a public noticeboard in a city centre. If it's gone the next day, it's gone...if I find copies of it on another board in a week's time, that's to be expected. If it's worth 1000s to me because I have a deal with a gallery or a publisher, I wouldn't leave it lying around at all. If I want to make a living from it, I would take payment for the production of the image and leave the ownership to someone else, by taking commissions or payment for time. If I'm famous enough for my images to be worth more than copyright lawyers charge, then my copy of it will be the only one worth anything anyway...and my book publishers and gallery owners can use their own lawyers if they want.
01-03-2017, 06:44 AM   #15

Is there an easy way to search for one's photos on the web? Find out where they have been posted?