Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2016, 02:04 PM   #16
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paolo11 Quote
Amazes me concerning the number of on-going problems with these cameras.[COLOR="Silver"]

actually, those bodies only have the one problem, but those that have it are quite vocal and those that have a K-30/50 that don't have an issue are out using their cameras....

12-31-2016, 11:43 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wsteffey Quote
To answer the second part of your post, I currently have a K100D, a K-x and a K-30 with the same apparent problem you are experiencing. I cannot afford to spend money for any of the Pentax cameras with this problem, up to and possibly including the K-70, and paying $400-$600 or more for a used K-5 or K-3 makes me uneasy. Reviewing my portfolio, I found I am happy with the images from the K-x and even the K100d, and often I must look at the image data to confirm what camera was used for what shot. Last week I decided to stay with the K-x for a while, but this week I found a K-r for $150 at a local pawnshop. I will stay with these cameras for while as they fulfill my needs.
I'm going to follow your path and use my Kx until I decide whether it's worth fixing the K50. It's a pity the Pentax hasn't fixed this problem which Forum members have identified ages ago.

---------- Post added 12-31-16 at 01:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Yes aperture block is a problem for K-30, K-50, and Maybe even K-s1, Ks2 users. If I owned a K-50 with this issue, It would be subject to home repair OR I would use M lenses on it exclusively.

Good luck!
Thanks Blackknight. I do have quite a few old M lenses lying around and I will have fun seeing if they work with my K50. They are supposed to be excellent lenses and it will be nice to dust them off and put them though their paces
12-31-2016, 03:22 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Has anybody had this problem fixed by Eric? If so what does he charge?
01-01-2017, 08:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blacknight659 Quote
Yes aperture block is a problem for K-30, K-50, and Maybe even K-s1, Ks2 users. If I owned a K-50 with this issue, It would be subject to home repair OR I would use M lenses on it exclusively.

Good luck!
Hi BlackKnight. I am trying to use a manual lens on the K50 to circumvent the aperture block problem, as you suggest. I am using a Pentax M f/2, 50 mm lens with a bayonet fitting. I have set the selection dial on the camera to M (manual), and changed the other dial from AF.S to MF, but I can't get the camera to work. The camera display is flashing "F" which I think is asking me to input the focal length but, when I scroll through the menu the focal length selector, is not lit, so I can't put in the FL. However, this should be the problem since I believe the FL is inputted to aid the shake reduction feature.

What's my problem?

01-01-2017, 08:19 AM   #20
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

make sure you have the aperture ring enabled on the K-50:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
01-01-2017, 08:32 AM   #21

K50 focal length

Hi Soo, Have you tried setting your dial to center point? I had no problem with the K50 using my 50mm 1.8 lens, set it to manual, and that was it.

Also, are you sure it's on the A setting? My K5 just comes up and asks for the focal length with my 50mm mounted. So I think your K50 should do the same.
01-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #22

@psoo: Do you have SR turned off? If you do the camera will not ask for a focal length and the options are greyed out on the menu.

The F- - in the viewfinder indicates that a non-"A" lens is mounted.
01-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Hi Pepperberry, you solved my problem. I enabled the aperture ring, as you said, and the manual lens and K50 work well together. I remember in the distant past that I once used a manual lens by enabling the aperture ring, but I forgot. Perhaps I will use my K50 with my assorted manual lenses, and use my Kx for my normal work. I'll save some $$$ by not sending my K50 in for repairs.

Thanks again

---------- Post added 01-01-17 at 01:23 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
@psoo: Do you have SR turned off? If you do the camera will not ask for a focal length and the options are greyed out on the menu.

The F- - in the viewfinder indicates that a non-"A" lens is mounted.
Thanks so much for your info. Your explanation makes sense to me now. As stated in this link Pepperberry solved my problem so I'm now in good shape. I'd like to thank all Forum members who helped me out.

01-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #24
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

cool - glad I could help out....
02-08-2017, 12:23 PM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have been using the K50 with a Tak M 50mm, f/2 lens used in the manual mode to circumvent the aperture block problem, as some of you advised. I was using my back-up Kx for auto lenses. On a whim, I exchanged the manual lens on the K50 for my Tak 18-250 zoom lens. Lo and behold it worked fine. The aperture block problem fixed itself. Maybe the juggling around with the manual lens did something to the camera but it works fine, so far. I don't know if this has happened to others, or if it is only a temporary fix, but I'm delighted it happened. I'll keep you posted if anything changes.
02-08-2017, 12:59 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Sounds good. Hopefully it keeps working.

Don't forget to update to the latest 1.10 firmware.

Latest K-50 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

^ It basically adds support for KAF4 lenses, which don't rely on the aperture motor in the body, since the aperture is controlled inside of the lens. Basically, it gives new life to K-50 cameras with busted aperture motors.

The only downside is there there is only 1 KAF4 lens at the moment: the recent Pentax 55-300mm PLM lens. More will eventually come, though.

Now if Pentax would update the K-30, K-5IIs, K-5II, & K-5 firmwares as well, there would be a lot more happy consumers.
02-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Sounds good. Hopefully it keeps working.

Don't forget to update to the latest 1.10 firmware.

Latest K-50 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

^ It basically adds support for KAF4 lenses, which don't rely on the aperture motor in the body, since the aperture is controlled inside of the lens. Basically, it gives new life to K-50 cameras with busted aperture motors.

The only downside is there there is only 1 KAF4 lens at the moment: the recent Pentax 55-300mm PLM lens. More will eventually come, though.

Now if Pentax would update the K-30, K-5IIs, K-5II, & K-5 firmwares as well, there would be a lot more happy consumers.
Squirrel, thanks for your information.
02-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #28

K50 fixing itself

psoo. Great luck on that one, hope it lasts forever. it's really a strange problem, and the fixes that go along with it. But yours, so far, is the most unique.

Please, keep us all inform in the future.

Paolo
02-08-2017, 02:17 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by paolo11 Quote
psoo. Great luck on that one, hope it lasts forever. it's really a strange problem, and the fixes that go along with it. But yours, so far, is the most unique.

Please, keep us all inform in the future.

Paolo
I surely will. Thanks for your good wishes.