Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2016, 07:13 PM   #1

Question re filter compatibility between Pentax lenses

Hi, I bought a Pentax K-70 this past summer along with the 18-135 mm lens. I then bought a UV filter and a polarizing filter for that lens. Today I received my Pentax 55-300 telephoto/zoom lens and tried to put the filters from the old lens on to this one. They do not quite fit and the lens cover for the new lens definitely did not fit over the filters. Soooooo, do I have to buy new filters for this lens and will the lens hood fit over two filters? Thank you. Joyce Keay

12-30-2016, 07:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

each lens has a specific filter diameter. some lenses have the same diameter, so filters are interchangeable. others have different diameters precluding using filters of different diameters. the 18-135 has a filter diameter of 62mm, the 55-300 58mm. thus one does not fit the other.

in some cases you can buy a stop down ring, such as a 62 to 58, allowing 62mm filters to fit a 58mm diameter lens, but quite often the stacked filters will cause vignetting.

lens caps will only fit the filter diameter for which they are designed.

how you want to solve your dilemma is your choice, however a word of warning, NEVER NEVER stack a second filter, stop down ring or anything else on top of a CPL. the rotating design of the CPL may well make it impossible to ever remove the stacked filter again.

FWIW i have a drawer full of filters ranging from 49 to 86mm as a result of lens purchases and resales over the last 15 years. i'm willing to bet others do as well....lol
12-30-2016, 07:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
each lens has a specific filter diameter. some lenses have the same diameter, so filters are interchangeable. others have different diameters precluding using filters of different diameters. the 18-135 has a filter diameter of 62mm, the 55-300 58mm. thus one does not fit the other.

in some cases you can buy a stop down ring, such as a 62 to 58, allowing 62mm filters to fit a 58mm diameter lens, but quite often the stacked filters will cause vignetting.

how you want to solve your dilemma is your choice, however a word of warning, NEVER NEVER stack a second filter, stop down ring or anything else on top of a CPL. the rotating design of the CPL may well make it impossible to ever remove the stacked filter again.

FWIW i have a drawer full of filters ranging from 49 to 86mm as a result of lens purchases and resales over the last 15 years. i'm willing to bet others do as well....lol
Thank you for your very quick answer. I did discover the difference when looking at my previous order for filters and looking at the tiny manual for this lens. Maybe you can answer a second question. The manual for this lens says "You may not be able to attach the lens hood PH-RBK58 to the lens depending on the type of filter that is installed." Jolly! Were you able to find a brand of filter that *does* allow the lens hood to be attached? Man, that is really disappointing!

---------- Post added 12-30-16 at 08:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

So you are saying I should put on the haze filter directly to the lens and then the circular polarizing filter on top of the haze filter?
12-30-2016, 08:04 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
LOL, indeed. I have a bunch of lenses and, IIRC, only two have the same filter diameter.

12-30-2016, 08:16 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Joyce Keay Quote
So you are saying I should put on the haze filter directly to the lens and then the circular polarizing filter on top of the haze filter?
Never use 2 filters at the same time. If you are using the polarizer, leave the UV off. Digital sensors are not affected by UV anyway, so that filter is just for "protection" as I assume you are using it. The polarizer actually does something, though.

Stacking multiple layers of glass is asking for flare and lowered image quality.

I am of the type that uses only a lens cap and hood (plus a hand and common sense) for protection :-)
12-30-2016, 08:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Never use 2 filters at the same time. If you are using the polarizer, leave the UV off. Digital sensors are not affected by UV anyway, so that filter is just for "protection" as I assume you are using it. The polarizer actually does something, though.

Stacking multiple layers of glass is asking for flare and lowered image quality.

I am of the type that uses only a lens cap and hood (plus a hand and common sense) for protection :-)
Thank you SpecialK for your prompt answer. I will not buy a UV filter for this lens. Joyce Keay
12-31-2016, 02:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

The best place to put the UV filter is in a bottom draw, where you can forget about it. It's pointless, and can actually degrade your photos. The polarizing filter is a different matter, but should only get occasional use. And yes, you do need a different one for each filter size of your lenses.

12-31-2016, 04:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The trick is to buy the filter for the biggest size and a set of step-up rings to adapt the other lenses. These can be had on Amazon or similar for not very much.

The alternative approach is to go with the Cokin P filter system, or one of the third-party equivalents; this puts the filter out in front of the lens on a holder, and the holder in turn slots into various sizes of filter ring adapter. These also (or at least the third party variants) can also be had on Amazon for not very much.

I do put UV filters on some of my lenses, but they are the ones which often find themselves on film cameras, where the UV filtration does make a difference.
12-31-2016, 06:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Most of my lens hoods attach to the lens on the camera-side of the filter threads on the lens so I can use the hood with a filter. However, if you use a step-up ring to allow the use of a larger filter than the specific size for the lens, the hood most likely will not fit over the filter. I like to use the hood at all times but this can become a little awkward with a CPL that needs to be rotated to determine the best position for the desired effect. Use of step-up rings is a trade-off because you can reduce the number of filters you need for your various lenses, but filters usually cost more as the size increases. Of course it's easier to carry fewer filters with step-up rings if you are traveling, but there's also the hassle of switching them in use.
12-31-2016, 07:08 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As noted above; 1) UV filters are now used primarily to protect the front lens element, which in some lenses is an "ED" element which may be slightly softer, easier to scratch glass; 2) never stack a polarizer with any other filter as they may be nearly impossible to separate; polarizers enhance some colors, especially blue skies, and reduce reflections from smooth surfaces; the saturation adjustments available in PS and LR are commonly used instead of a polarizer to get pleasing blue skies, but polarizers are still useful for reducing color-killing reflection from smooth surfaces, for example a polished car or shiny leaves; and are also useful for seeing through the surface of still water if you are trying to image something submerged (rocks, gravel, fish, turtle, etc); 3) a filter that is perhaps the most commonly used by digital-age photographers: neutral density, used particularly to get long shutter speeds in bright light to blur moving water into a pleasing white stream (but sometimes freezing the splash with a fast TV is better).
12-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #11

Photos: Albums
If Pentax thought UV filtration was necessary, given the research and development they have carried out into lens coatings, they would surely have incorporated it into the glass lenses by now. Indeed a filter is more likely to degrade image quality and focus sharpness on the 55-300. As has been pointed out above, UV filters are not required for digital sensors (unlike film). Regarding lens protection, the lens cap and hood can offer greater protection to the lens than glass filters, and indeed a camera bag or case. (I know of at least one instance where on impact the filter glass damaged the lens glass).

Post processing also makes colour filters unnecessary, so the only polarising and possibly neutral density offer advantages, the latter by elongating exposure time and in graduated versions to darken skies, but there are ways around this in post processing and by taking multiple exposures. Not sure about other the K-70, but the K-1 has a facility to blend multiple exposures to create the smooth water effect.
12-31-2016, 05:57 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Back when most lenses were not zooms, Pentax changed designs for the SMC-M lenses so most took the same 49mm filter, matching the "normal" size used on most of their 50mm lenses previously. It was a move most of us appreciated. Back then the common lenses for the Leica M rangefinders mostly took 39mm filters, also appreciated. Lens designs have gotten more exotic, and filter sizes have gone up, but most people don't use filters anymore. But for my digital Leica I still pick lenses with 39mm filter size, though they are harder to find.
01-20-2017, 06:53 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteQuote:
Digital sensors are not affected by UV anyway, so that filter is just for "protection" as I assume you are using it.
If I remember correctly, the sensor has a UV filter layer over it; but I might be wrong.

I use a UV filter (when not using a polarising) for protection, following recommendations from long ago. Occasionally, I forget to put the lens cap back on before putting the camera in my bag and the filter may be helpful then. But I have never scratched a lens. Even when I took a tumble a few weeks ago, the hand carrying the camera went straight into the air, to protect it, and I took the impact entirely on the other side of my body.
01-20-2017, 07:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You won't need a UV Haze filter at the same time as the Polarizer.

Use your filters as lens-protection if you like.
You can take them off later if you change your mind.
Then you can put them back on if you change your mind again.
Your lens, your filters, your decision.
01-21-2017, 04:35 AM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
You won't need a UV Haze filter at the same time as the Polarizer.

Use your filters as lens-protection if you like.
You can take them off later if you change your mind.
Then you can put them back on if you change your mind again.
Your lens, your filters, your decision.
Hi, Thanks for your replies. I have not purchased a UV filter for the 55-300 lens so I have a polarizer, lens cap with leash and hood. I would hope that is adequate protection for the lens.