Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2017, 11:23 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens Flare/reflection?

K-3ii DA* 16-50 iso 100 f4.5 25s
no filter with hood properly attached

I've been meaning to get out and get pictures of a power plant near me since it was built a couple years ago. Went out this morning to get a few. The DA* 16-50 is new to me, especially for this type of photography. I've mainly used this lens for indoor event shots. I'm still learning to use this lens. The below is cropped and the original perspective was with the base of the plant just above the bottom 3rd. Let me know If it would help to post the original.

Questions.
1. Is this lens flare -- above the plant in the clouds? Basically looks like a reflection of the factory lights in the clouds although I can't manage to match up the pattern in the clouds with the actual lights.
2. What can be done to avoid/reduce this? Is it just a matter of more experience/learning with the lens?

myFlickr

lightroom heal applied, but never looks as good. I'm sure it would be better with practice.
myFlickr

01-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No, that is not lens flare.

What you are seeing in the clouds is reflected light from somewhere. It might be the plant but I think the light is coming for something behind the plant.

Going back and looking at the first photo you posted, you might be getting a small amount of light that is reflecting off of the sensor and rear element of the lens. I know other people have posted questions about reflections like what you are getting and the consensus is reflections in the lens. I don't have any suggestions to solve it but I am sure others will be here shortly with some good suggestions.

Last edited by bigdavephoto; 01-01-2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: More information
01-01-2017, 12:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know... I'm tending to think it could be internal reflections. Since the power plant is near you, it would be worth trying to recreate this. If you're able to do that, vary the vertical and horizontal angle of the lens to the scene, to see if those light blotches change position. If they do, I'd say it's likely to be internal reflections somewhere between the lens aperture and sensor. If they stay put, it's something in the sky...
01-01-2017, 12:25 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That might be a reflection but its difficult to say. Reflections are usually really consistent, not "only sometimes".
As far as I know, all you can do is angle your lens in such a way that reflections and flares get minimized, use a tight lens hood (or maybe even a third party lens shade to add, though this might not be possible with wide angle lenses), and use PP to clone out those spots. Overexposing/underexposing can also make the flare more or less noticeable, but it depends on the scene. Sometimes you can even use them artistically.
Modern SMC and HD lenses rarely have such problems. Sometimes a problem like that can be caused by a problem in the lens itself, like a loose particle or damaged optics.
Even in your photo those lights don't ruin the shot.

01-01-2017, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Definitely reflections inside the lens.

Look at the bright lights on the right side of the image (forming stars). Now rotate those bright stars around the center of the image by 180 degrees. You will find that they nicely overlay the bright spots in the clouds on the left side. As the light source of the spots is inside the image, a hood has no effect.
01-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I agree with the internal reflections now. I went through the set and found a few others taken with the plant lights just below top third and the reflections in those are below the plant base. Looks like its a matter of gaining more experience with the lens and perspective. This was taken from the ditch on a county road. I took a few from the other side of the plant -- near the entrance, but the view isn't as appealing. Ideally I would like to get a bit closer to the plant, but I don't know the property owners.

Thanks for the input.
01-01-2017, 01:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I haven't attempted this fix, but I wonder if a polarizer would reduce the scattering and internal reflections.
01-01-2017, 01:34 PM   #8

It does not look like lens flare. It looks more like flare from a uv or skylight filter, it happens to me all the time with strong light sources like that, but the weird thing is that there is no filter attached.

01-01-2017, 02:30 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The 16-50 is an okay lens, but can be tricky for night cityscapes because of flare/reflections. Bright lights just outside the frame are especially problematic because they cause large glowing spots that are difficult to heal.
01-01-2017, 02:37 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Are you using a filter? If so, throw it away.

I find most reflections like this are due to filters. I have systematically emoted all filters from my legacy lenses to get better night shots. I suspect, this is the same problem
01-01-2017, 02:47 PM   #11

I think TedH42 is right, at first thought it may be a reflection from the factory lights. At 25 sec. light would have been more smoothed out I think. Would have leaned towards cheap filter maybe being the cause, but no filter used.

Maybe in the future try stopping down some that may help, but will put you pass that 30sec.exposure.

Good Luck

Brian
01-01-2017, 05:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

This is ghosting, which is one of the more common of the 14 forms of lens flare that exist. The technique I suggest you use to control it is to use live view and observe where it appears, and shift your composition so it no longer in the frame...failing that alter the framing so it is in a place that is less distracting, easier to crop out of the image, or clone out in post processing.

Internal lens reflections look different, primarily they aren't in focus like these flare spots are.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
haven't attempted this fix, but I wonder if a polarizer would reduce the scattering and internal reflections.
nice thought, but polarisers don't work this way. Adding a filter, in all probability would increase the chance of flare.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I find most reflections like this are due to filters.
OP stated he wasn't using a filter. Filter flare often appears closer to the light sources due to the short distances from the rear of the filter to the front element.

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-01-2017 at 05:47 PM.
01-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm aware of what a polarizer does. I am thinking you are right but since it reduces the light in certain orientations it (unlikely) could impact the amount and kind of scattering inside the lens... Just clutching at straws.

Your approach using live view seems much more likely to yeild fruit.
01-01-2017, 05:43 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
This is ghosting, which is one of the more common of the 14 forms of lens flare that exist. The technique I suggest you use to control it is to use live view and observe where it appears, and shift your composition so it no longer in the frame...failing that alter the framing so it is in a place that is less distracting, easier to crop out of the image, or clone out in post processing.
I'll definitely try the approach of changing composition with live view next time. I used live view this time, but I wasn't observant of the "ghosting" that was occurring. Thanks!