Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2017, 12:23 PM   #1

Important Scratches on My K-S1 LCD screen !!!

Hello everyone,

I am Max from Haiti. I am new on the forum but I am already really glad to be part of it !

Last year, I bought a Pentax K-S1 in Japan...but recently after a field trip in the mountains, I saw some (relatively) important scratches on the LCD screen...

It's not the biggest "troubleshooting" someone could encounter but I find it a little bit annoying !!! Is there anything I could do?

Thank you for your help!

01-03-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm guessing that once the scratch is there it isn't going away. You could put a protector on it now but it may not be worth it at this point.
01-03-2017, 01:05 PM   #3

Do you mean physical scratches (plastic damage) on the screen or dark or white lines on the image of the LCD. The former is wear and tear / abuse and is not covered under the warranty. Lines in the image could indicate a problem in the LCD panel or circuitry and should be covered under the warranty.
01-03-2017, 01:17 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm guessing that once the scratch is there it isn't going away. You could put a protector on it now but it may not be worth it at this point.
Yes, I should really buy one in the near future to prevent more scratches !

01-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Do you mean physical scratches (plastic damage) on the screen or dark or white lines on the image of the LCD. The former is wear and tear / abuse and is not covered under the warranty. Lines in the image could indicate a problem in the LCD panel or circuitry and should be covered under the warranty.
Thank you for your answer. I think it is physical scratches

Is there anything I could do instead of sending it for a (paid) repair/replacement of the LCD ?
01-03-2017, 03:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by maxdbh Quote
Thank you for your answer. I think it is physical scratches

Is there anything I could do instead of sending it for a (paid) repair/replacement of the LCD ?
NOVUS Plastic Polish

Great stuff, if you can find a distributor in your area. Used it for over 25 years.
01-04-2017, 01:50 AM   #7

My sympathies are with you. I scratched the LCD of one of my K3 bodies and as the camera was less than 6 months old, I elected to have a new screen fitted. It cost $500 (New Zealand = about US$350) and I fitted a protector screen immediately. The K3 was the most costly Pentax crop sensor camera at the time and I decided the expenditure was warranted as the scratch would have severely reduced the resale value of the camera.
I guess that with the KS-1 such an expenditure may not be warranted as it is a budget model.

01-04-2017, 05:09 AM   #8
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Personally, I'd leave it. The camera's just a tool and a few marks here and there won't affect it. That said... Depending on the severity of the scratches, you could use something like "Polywatch" compound. This is typically used to polish out scratches and scuffs from acrylic watch "glass", but I've used it to remove scratches on many plastic items including the LCD display cover on a radio receiver. It works very well indeed
01-04-2017, 06:09 AM   #9

Some people look at scratches, gouges, dings and dents as a badge of honor. The more memorable ones tell their own story to go along with the pictures.
01-04-2017, 06:37 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A scratch on the back screen is nothing. It's not in the light-path so it doesn't really matter. Keep using your gear and think of it as a battle-scar.
01-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #11

Original Poster
Wow thank you to all of you for your support, suggestions and good advice ! I really appreciate it !

---------- Post added 01-04-17 at 09:34 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
NOVUS Plastic Polish

Great stuff, if you can find a distributor in your area. Used it for over 25 years.
jlstrawman thank you so much ! It seems great ! I will try order it from Amazon